ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Because an offensive line needs to behave like a single organism with supreme coordination and the ability to adapt quickly and cohesively to whatever the defense does. It takes time for 5 guys to develop that kind of cohesiveness, so you see an impact when you limit the number of days in pads to expose them to the array of stunts and blitzes they'll see in live action.

I generally hate military analogies with football, but think of it as giving one group of marines half the combat training as the other half. Would you expect them to be equally prepared at the start of live action?
Interesting, I guess it's also similar to a WR having an advantage over a defender in that the WR knows his route and the defender doesn't. a DE will have a similar advantage over a OT in that he knows what is going to happen and the OT doesn't.

It's easier for a DL to work as a cohesive unit than an OL.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
The Following User Says Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 09:35 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I disagree. Once we got to full strength last year this line was dominant. They are very young, mostly, and I expected improvement. Instead there is, in my mind, a step back. Now the run defense has taken a huge step back and there is the same coach so maybe it isn't coaching. It's curious that we have essentially the same players physically but have regressed so much. Usually you might say father time has caught up with us but that is not the case here. Hopefully just a bad stretch
Old 10-04-2019, 09:55 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I disagree. Once we got to full strength last year this line was dominant. They are very young, mostly, and I expected improvement. Instead there is, in my mind, a step back. Now the run defense has taken a huge step back and there is the same coach so maybe it isn't coaching. It's curious that we have essentially the same players physically but have regressed so much. Usually you might say father time has caught up with us but that is not the case here. Hopefully just a bad stretch
I don't think this is supported by the evidence. Here's the 2018 numbers vs 2019 on a few stats:

Sacks: 18 / 24 (pace thru 4 games)
QB Hits: 77 / 68 (pace thru 4 games)
YPC: 4.2 / 4.6

They've had more negative run plays thus far, but I chalk most of that up to defenses keying on the running game w/o Luck behind center.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 10:02 AM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
But, in a new system.
what new system? It's still the same offense, same coordinator, same blocking scheme. New 0-line coach didn't install a new system...?
Old 10-04-2019, 11:27 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
I don't think this is supported by the evidence. Here's the 2018 numbers vs 2019 on a few stats:

Sacks: 18 / 24 (pace thru 4 games)
QB Hits: 77 / 68 (pace thru 4 games)
YPC: 4.2 / 4.6

They've had more negative run plays thus far, but I chalk most of that up to defenses keying on the running game w/o Luck behind center.
I view those stats in a different light. This line showed signs that they might become dominant thru 5 games but did not become dominant until Castanzo came back full time. I believe we have regressed back to where this line was in the beginning of last year, before Castanzo came back. We didn't pick up where we left off. We picked up where we started last year, which wasn't all that impressive. I'm comparing this line to where they ended the year, not where they started out. I think they have regressed.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I view those stats in a different light. This line showed signs that they might become dominant thru 5 games but did not become dominant until Castanzo came back full time. I believe we have regressed back to where this line was in the beginning of last year, before Castanzo came back. We didn't pick up where we left off. We picked up where we started last year, which wasn't all that impressive. I'm comparing this line to where they ended the year, not where they started out. I think they have regressed.
Alright, I'll calculate the YoY total thru 4 games of 2018 vs 2019:

Sacks: 9 / 6
QB Hits: 33 / 17
YPC: 3.6 / 4.6

So, no. The OL has definitively NOT regressed to where they were at the beginning of last year. They have been significantly better.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Alright, I'll calculate the YoY total thru 4 games of 2018 vs 2019:

Sacks: 9 / 6
QB Hits: 33 / 17
YPC: 3.6 / 4.6

So, no. The OL has definitively NOT regressed to where they were at the beginning of last year. They have been significantly better.
To address your comment about how they looked at the end of last year, let's compare the last four games (two regular season, two playoff) vs the first four this year:

Sacks: 5 / 6
QB Hits: 18 / 17
YPC: 4.89 / 4.6

The only difference is the YPC, which again I feel is hurt in 2019 by teams keying on the run.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (10-04-2019)