ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-03-2019, 10:38 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
I'm not sure about this, through three games Mack had the 3rd best yardage total. I get a similar vibe as you, that the OL isnt playing as well as it did last year, but at the same time I think also that were Looking at the Raiders game and drawing conclusions that are perhaps too general.

Last year it took several games for the OL to develop into the top-notch unit they ended the season as. This is the biggest gripe I have about coaching. The team should be prepared from week 1 to dominate, it should not take them 5 weeks to figure out.
That isn't coaching. The league set teams up to fail with so few offseason and training camp days in pads compared to years past.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
It was concerning when they fired DeGuglielmo after the offensive line had played its best in years. They got rid of a guy who apparently wasn't nice and got a nice guy to coach our line. So far this has been hands down the worst decision by Reich so far as this line has regressed. DeGuglielmo's personality seemed to mesh with how the line played last year when it looked like the offensive line might be where this team got its identity. Not so much now.
From what I understand this new coach is more of a teacher where the last guy was more of a screamer. I think the line has played mostly pretty well and has been about on par with last year. One major difference is the defensive scheme used against them bc of the QB. You didn’t load the box against Andrew Luck, if you did you knew you were taking a chance. JB hasn’t earned that respect so teams see us as one dimensional and one dimensional teams are easy to stop. JB is going to have to start burning defenses that are lined up to stop the run. That means hitting Campbell on deep passers. It would be easier if Hilton was healthy and Campbell hadn’t missed a ton of camp. But it’s what we got right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (10-04-2019), VeveJones007 (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 01:22 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
The OL was never this juggernaut that some made it out to be in late 2018. They got manhandled against the Jags and Chiefs, and were only slightly better than the Titans DL. I would say the line has been on par with how it performed last year. Perhaps Glowinski has regressed a bit, but that's all I see.
That was reaction of our fanbase due to having such shit OLines for so long.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 02:04 PM
Post whore

That Ebron exchange was very good at the end. Seems to me JB needs to work on being able to find the open guy especially during a blitz. Once he does that and burns some teams consistently, then we may see the running game emerge a bit more.

Quote:
The OL was never this juggernaut that some made it out to be in late 2018. They got manhandled against the Jags and Chiefs, and were only slightly better than the Titans DL. I would say the line has been on par with how it performed last year. Perhaps Glowinski has regressed a bit, but that's all I see.
Fans build things up in the off season and think it’s like madden where everyone’s rating goes up automatically

Last edited by Chromeburn; 10-03-2019 at 02:06 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Butter (10-03-2019), VeveJones007 (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Post whore

Quote:
That isn't coaching. The league set teams up to fail with so few offseason and training camp days in pads compared to years past.
That was negotiated in the deal with the players.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:30 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Hm... That doesnt make sense to me. Why would such affect the OL more than it would an opposing defense? One would presume that the defense spent the same amount of time (or lack therof) in pads prior to the season?

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 10-03-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Hm... That doesnt make sense to me. Why would such affect the OL more than it would an opposing defense? One would presume that the defense spent the same amount of time (or lack therof) in pads prior to the season?
Because an offensive line needs to behave like a single organism with supreme coordination and the ability to adapt quickly and cohesively to whatever the defense does. It takes time for 5 guys to develop that kind of cohesiveness, so you see an impact when you limit the number of days in pads to expose them to the array of stunts and blitzes they'll see in live action.

I generally hate military analogies with football, but think of it as giving one group of marines half the combat training as the other half. Would you expect them to be equally prepared at the start of live action?
Old 10-03-2019, 05:46 PM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Because an offensive line needs to behave like a single organism with supreme coordination and the ability to adapt quickly and cohesively to whatever the defense does. It takes time for 5 guys to develop that kind of cohesiveness, so you see an impact when you limit the number of days in pads to expose them to the array of stunts and blitzes they'll see in live action.

I generally hate military analogies with football, but think of it as giving one group of marines half the combat training as the other half. Would you expect them to be equally prepared at the start of live action?
sure but that was supposed to be an advantage of getting the same group back as last year, working together all through TC.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
sure but that was supposed to be an advantage of getting the same group back as last year, working together all through TC.
Still takes time.

Glowinski has been pretty awful, so a weak link doesn’t help matters either.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:23 PM

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
But, in a new system.