ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 09-29-2019, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

It sure what game some of you were watching but this was a horrible game by Brissett. Maybe his worst game he’s played.
I was at the game. Omaha is spot on saying he was late with tried and reads.

He had Campbell open deep a lot and never made it to that read. Or when he did he threw to late and let the D catch up.

PC was open A LOT! And JB mossed me. so aggregating to watch

WTF Ebron???? Having a Detroit flashback. He sucked

NO IDEA WHY FR DIDNT TRY THR ONSIDE!! !

Does anyone have a possible idea why?
Old 09-29-2019, 09:18 PM

Some questions about Ballard's strategy of building through the draft:
  1. How many players are actually long term difference makers from each draft?
  2. How many areas of concern are there currently?
  3. How many areas of concern were there going into this past offseason?
  4. How many holes were created by letting players walk who weren't too bad, all things considered?

To me, the math doesn't add up to anything other than always being several players short of a well-stocked roster. It's a long-con to fall back on saying "be patient, we have a plan" since instead of dabbling in free agency a GM can buy an additional 2+ years because in order to evaluate his work, the youth has to properly grow into their envisioned roles on the team.

Last edited by Colt Classic; 09-29-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
It sure what game some of you were watching but this was a horrible game by Brissett. Maybe his worst game he’s played.

He had Campbell open deep a lot and never made it to that read. Or when he did he threw to late and let the D catch up.

Success rate of onside kicks is now practically zero since there's no running start and no unbalanced lineup for the kick. They've neutered it in the name of player safety. The new strategy for this is to lob the kick over the receiving team and in front of the deep man and hope to create a scramble for the ball around their own 30-35. Please tell everyone on reddit and Colts.com this as well. I'm tired of typing it already.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colt Classic For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (09-30-2019), Racehorse (09-30-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 09:28 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Classic View Post
Some questions about Ballard's strategy of building through the draft:
  1. How many players are actually long term difference makers from each draft?
  2. How many areas of concern are there currently?
  3. How many areas of concern were there going into this past offseason?
  4. How many holes were created by letting players walk who weren't too bad, all things considered?
Nelson, smith, Mack and Leonard right. Who else was drafted that is a major contributor going forward?

There isn’t a single position that is good to go as it sits.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Nelson, smith, Mack and Leonard right. Who else was drafted that is a major contributor going forward?

There isn’t a single position that is good to go as it sits.
Sure those are cornerstones, but even being generous for this past draft you have maybe 2-4 guys who could be worth re-upping. Like I said in my edit after you quoted me, the math doesn't add up to ever actually "going for it". Now take that math and imagine they still had a franchise QB--even with Luck they were never going to be anything more than a solid 11-5 team hoping to catch a few breaks and find themselves with a favorable AFC championship match-up in the best of scenarios. There are worse places to be in the NFL landscape, but it just reeks of a franchise that's cool with hanging Wildcard banners.

The story we were given is that Luck was going to start Week 1. If that is true, and THIS is the team Ballard came up with for going for it in a franchise quarterback's better years...yeesh. I'm not even mad at Jacoby--he's ok, but he's the QB equivalent of Jabaal Sheard.

Last edited by Colt Classic; 09-29-2019 at 09:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt Classic For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (09-29-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 09:39 PM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

He certainly didn’t have a great game, but he was about 20th on the list of reasons why they lost. Especially considering it felt like we were in 2nd and 3rd and long all freakin day.

At one point I wondered if the Colts were tipping their run plays because it felt like the Raiders were behind the LOS to meet the back every single time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (09-29-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 09:42 PM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Keeping al woods alone would have been great. I don’t remember where else but are you telling me this is the best dline we could get?
Al Woods is 32 years old and coming off a torn ACL. Resigning him wouldn’t have made much difference.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
He certainly didn’t have a great game, but he was about 20th on the list of reasons why they lost. Especially considering it felt like we were in 2nd and 3rd and long all freakin day.

At one point I wondered if the Colts were tipping their run plays because it felt like the Raiders were behind the LOS to meet the back every single time.
While he was not the single reason or deserving the most blame for the loss He was certainly a reason we lost

1. Injuries to key players. Hilton Hooker Leonard hurt bad not counting Mack’s broken pussy and Ebrons loss of hands

2 play calling Frank was too predictable

3 defense is completely over rated even when 100% healthy. I don’t get the hype. They are bad. Houston so far has been a terrible signing no pass rush what so ever

4 Brissett. He’s not going to win Very many games if he has to play from behind. He threw 46 times today. Because we were behind and the whole Marlin hurt his pussy again deal. That fucker is brittle

So I don’t see the 20 things you could be talking about
Old 09-29-2019, 10:17 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Al Woods is 32 years old and coming off a torn ACL. Resigning him wouldn’t have made much difference.
Yet Al Woods is off to a great start playing very well for the Seahawks who are the #4 rushing Defense in the NFL. Nope Colts couldnt use a guy like that.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (09-30-2019), Coltsfever (09-29-2019), FatDT (09-30-2019), Oldcolt (09-30-2019), omahacolt (09-29-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 10:27 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

What bothers me is that the Colts defense went backwards big time. Not only did Ballard fail to improve the defensive needs. He let guys go that were contributing to stopping the run. The Dline got very light and less depth. I'm afraid what teams like the Chiefs or Patriots will do to this defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (09-30-2019)