ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-26-2018, 10:07 PM

Default Building the ‘18 Colts and beyond

If Saquon is available at 3, I’d take him. I think he’s a generational talent that would make everything else easier on offense. I would take him over 2 solid O-linemen, because I think his talent cannot be taught, while many big solid college linemen can be developed through good NFL coaching.

If Saquon is not available, at 3 that’s actually even better. That would mean one of the marquee QB’s is on the board, and someone will give you a first rounder this year and next, along with a 2nd or 3rd this year. I would take that ransom over Bradley Chubb. I have nothing bad to say about Chubb, except that picking him straight up at 3 is probably our worst outcome in my opinion. We are switching to a 4-3, we have new coaches and a no-name defense, and I just can’t see even a very talented pass rusher making a Freeney-esque impact for several years.

Frank Reich is an offensive guy and I say you stack him with weapons first, and see if you can get a big defensive steal later in the draft. Mathis, Bethea, Bob Sanders, Cato, Thornton, Brackett- none of those guys were first round picks, but you’re not going to find Luck-like offensive talent outside of the first or 2nd rounds.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:13 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing4DaFences View Post
If Saquon is available at 3, I’d take him. I think he’s a generational talent that would make everything else easier on offense. I would take him over 2 solid O-linemen, because I think his talent cannot be taught, while many big solid college linemen can be developed through good NFL coaching.

If Saquon is not available, at 3 that’s actually even better. That would mean one of the marquee QB’s is on the board, and someone will give you a first rounder this year and next, along with a 2nd or 3rd this year. I would take that ransom over Bradley Chubb. I have nothing bad to say about Chubb, except that picking him straight up at 3 is probably our worst outcome in my opinion. We are switching to a 4-3, we have new coaches and a no-name defense, and I just can’t see even a very talented pass rusher making a Freeney-esque impact for several years.

Frank Reich is an offensive guy and I say you stack him with weapons first, and see if you can get a big defensive steal later in the draft. Mathis, Bethea, Bob Sanders, Cato, Thornton, Brackett- none of those guys were first round picks, but you’re not going to find Luck-like offensive talent outside of the first or 2nd rounds.
Bradley Chubb is an impact defender. If he's the worst case scenario at 3, the Colts are in pretty good shape. Saquon Barkley seems like the worst case scenario at 3 to me, but that may be because I don't believe the marginal ROI between an elite starting RB and a good RB committee is worth a high pick investment, especially not a top 5 or 10 pick. Elite pass rushers are, and Chubb fits that bill. Honestly, I'd like to see the Colts find a way to get Chubb and Marcus Davenport If possible. I think Davenport would not only be able to learn from the coaches but also Chubb, and watching Davenport play, he has a chance to be an absolute game wrecker if someone can teach him how to effectively beat OLs. His size and speed doesn't come along often (the last 6'7" 260+ DL who could run with RBs that I remember is Julius Peppers), nor does his strength and length. Putting those two on the same DL could create a new Freeney/Mathis type of dynamic pass rushing duo, and that would be a great start toward building a great defense, which is something this team has lacked for decades except for short bursts in the late 2000s. If Reich is an offensive genius, let's see him utilize what the team has along with some mid round skill position players to make a good offense and invest in the defense for a refreshing, welcome change. He's already got the best start anyone could ask for in Andrew Luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 07:38 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Heh...and now for the third opinion....

None of that matters if Luck is still getting hit 10+ times a game. Full stop. End of discussion.

Will a new, intelligence offensive system help with that? Sure.
Will a new OC / QB coach who are not idiots help with that? Sure.

But, in the end, our O-Linemen need to be able to hold at the point of attack making our RB by committee apporach more effective AND keep the pocket clean for Luck to make plays.

Can the Colts sign good enough guys in free agency to "fix" to O-Line problem? Yes they can. Will they? I will tell you in a month.

Grab one of Solder/Flemming at OT and then one of Norwell/Pugh/Kline/Mewhort at OG to add to the mix of Haeg and Good and may the best 3 win.

If the Colts do that, then I am fine with having the Chubb vs Barkley vs trade down debate.

But, if the Colts cannot do that, then I hope they use the #3 on the best O-Lineman they can and I don't care if he is OG or OT.

Walk Worthy,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Puck (02-28-2018), smitty46953 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:01 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post

None of that matters if Luck is still getting hit 10+ times a game. Full stop. End of discussion.

Will a new, intelligence offensive system help with that? Sure.
Will a new OC / QB coach who are not idiots help with that? Sure.

But, in the end, our O-Linemen need to be able to hold at the point of attack making our RB by committee apporach more effective AND keep the pocket clean for Luck to make plays.

Can the Colts sign good enough guys in free agency to "fix" to O-Line problem? Yes they can. Will they? I will tell you in a month.

Grab one of Solder/Flemming at OT and then one of Norwell/Pugh/Kline/Mewhort at OG to add to the mix of Haeg and Good and may the best 3 win.

If the Colts do that, then I am fine with having the Chubb vs Barkley vs trade down debate.

But, if the Colts cannot do that, then I hope they use the #3 on the best O-Lineman they can and I don't care if he is OG or OT.

Walk Worthy,
I would love to add Norwell and go with young defenders in the draft. However, I see Roquan Smith as the player that you have to try to get. He is a field general and very good all over the field. I would even reach a couple picks or so to get him, because he is going to be that good.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post

None of that matters if Luck is still getting hit 10+ times a game. Full stop. End of discussion...

I hope they use the #3 on the best O-Lineman they can and I don't care if he is OG or OT.

Walk Worthy,
I agree gotta fix the line, Go "Big~N~Ugly" early and avoid the rush ... Quenton Nelson here for me !!!

Old 02-27-2018, 10:36 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Swing posts here again?

No way is a RB or guard worth the #3 pick. Barkley and Nelson are probably going to be very good players. But you don't need a top 5 pick at either position to have an elite player there. On the other hand you usually do need a top 1st rounder to have an elite pass rusher. Passing on Chubb seems like a bad choice to me, we are hurting for 4-3 DEs and that is one of the few positions where an individual makes the most difference on an NFL team. The RB and interior OL class is a lot deeper than at pass rusher this year. There's one premier, elite DE prospect, and we will probably be able to draft him. It's crazy to me to think about passing on him.

Also don't understand the mindset that we need to run our offense through a RB. Why even bother with having a franchise QB if that's what we're doing?

I am not sure Roquan Smith's game will work in the NFL. We'll see how he weighs in and moves at the Combine. Can he run the same way if he puts on 15 lbs?

Last edited by FatDT; 02-27-2018 at 10:40 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Butter (02-27-2018), VeveJones007 (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:44 AM
testcase448

Given the developments in the AFC south it's damn clear you better be able to rush the passer, AND keep yours upright.
This team has too many holes to fill in both those areas to be very competitive next year.
Fix the pass rush, THE absolute number one priority and maybe that'll keep us in games. Then, if Luck survives perhaps he can get us a couple wins.
If he is busted, we'll have an early pick or two again
Old 02-27-2018, 10:45 AM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Early on I was on the Barkely at #3 bandwagon. But this a supply and demand league. The supply of pass rushers is small, while the supply of RB's is comparable to last years draft.

When you have the chance at the pass rusher, then you have to take it, because I doubt that we are picking at #3 again anytime soon.

As for Raquon Smith, let's just say...Let it go down in history, how many time the undersized LB has been discounted as being to small for the NFL, and all of the fans and pundits have been proven wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:47 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
As for Raquon Smith, let's just say...Let it go down in history, how many time the undersized LB has been discounted as being to small for the NFL, and all of the fans and pundits have been proven wrong.
I don't think he's flat out too small. I think he's too small to dominate in the NFL like he did in college, and therefore don't think I'd take him early in round 1. He will need to get bigger, and usually when players get bigger they get slower. A lot of his playmaking was based on his speed.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:44 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

give me chubb.

(insert jokes here)
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Spike (02-27-2018)