ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-13-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Nothing will change until we get a franchise QB. I was WRONG on Wentz, thought he was going to turn his career around with Reich. Fuck, I hate being wrong! One thing I do know is that Ballard is much better than Griggs. So let's see what happens from here on in.
By the time Ballard gets the QB and pass rusher positions right, all the young talent that he HAS gotten right, will all be wasted. It seems that Ballards tenure has been a wait until next year one, not entirely his fault, thank you Andrew !
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
Brylok (02-13-2022), Dewey 5 (02-13-2022), Ironshaft (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 10:42 AM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Sure. By the way, it's not like free agency is some default evil. I'm also not claiming the Bengals have it all figured out. I don't know what they'll do in the future. I'm just pointing out a convenient comparison.

I'd much rather be the Bengals with young drafted talent and nearly $60m in the bank for that talent rather than the Rams at $8m or $9m over the cap with only a 5th and 7th rounder or whatever it is they have.

My ultimate point is I'm glad our GM A.) drafts pretty well which ideally keeps us with an influx of younger, cheaper talent and B.) is relatively frugal when it comes to free agency and trades so that we have money/draft capital to resign our guys and sign difference makers when the time comes.
Gotcha. I took your comment to be that the Bungles had built their team similarly to Ballard in that it was entirely through the draft with holes being plugged by bargain FAs.

Agree that I don't want Ballard to throw our future away by trading away all of our early draft picks for high priced veterans like the Rams have done. But I (like most of us) think he's needs to open up the checkbook a bit like the Bungles did and bring in some difference makers to fill holes rather than just band aid with bargain FAs like he usually does, which obviously hasn't worked out too well.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Nothing will change until we get a franchise QB. I was WRONG on Wentz, thought he was going to turn his career around with Reich. Fuck, I hate being wrong! One thing I do know is that Ballard is much better than Griggs. So let's see what happens from here on in.
Good point. Not sure we need a franchise/Mahomes type of player, but we definitely need someone better than Wentz.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:47 AM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I really hate the inconsistency in criticisms. One of the biggest issues with Grigson, besides just being a total asshole, was that he built a terrible offensive line that killed Andrew Luck, he couldn't draft for shit, and spent a ton of money of terrible over-priced free agents that came in with a mercenary mentality and no team culture.

And then Ballard comes in and says "we're gonna build the team from within with the draft, create a culture here, be selective in signing free agents who can be a part of that" and every says "fuck yea, that's the right way" and then all of a sudden every drops that and whines about "why won't he go all in on some of these big names??"
i think a few things here that leads to inconsistency with fans bitching.

1) a team in the playoffs or at the door of the playoffs every year leads to higher expectations

2) the same holes year after year the draft isn't fixing.

3) having issues and over 50 mil in cap space just sittting there and barely missing the playoffs pisses people off. pisses me off.

4) building through the draft can successfully be supplemented with the right free agents. nobody builds 100% through the draft. your team will suck.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Brylok (02-13-2022), Dewey 5 (02-13-2022), IndyNorm (02-13-2022), Oldcolt (02-13-2022), Racehorse (02-13-2022), Spike (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I really hate the inconsistency in criticisms. One of the biggest issues with Grigson, besides just being a total asshole, was that he built a terrible offensive line that killed Andrew Luck, he couldn't draft for shit, and spent a ton of money of terrible over-priced free agents that came in with a mercenary mentality and no team culture.

And then Ballard comes in and says "we're gonna build the team from within with the draft, create a culture here, be selective in signing free agents who can be a part of that" and every says "fuck yea, that's the right way" and then all of a sudden every drops that and whines about "why won't he go all in on some of these big names??"
It is entirely possible to criticize both Grigson and a Ballard’s philosophy without being inconsistent. There is a pretty decent middle ground between the two. Grigson largely used free agency how I think you should - to fill some holes you can’t immediately fill in the draft. He wasn’t trying to “buy” a team, he filled weaknesses with mid level guys. He over paid them (as you are largely required to), but didn’t mortgage the future. He just couldn’t draft for shit and no system will work long term if you can’t draft. And he was a complete ass.

Ballard doesn’t make decisions based on what the team needs, he makes decisions based on “winning” the transaction with the idea he’ll eventually draft whatever the team needs anyway. The issue is you can never draft enough to adequately fill all the holes. Not to mention the team has yet to adequately fill the three most important positions for winning - QB, DE, and LT. So yes he’s been great drafting but he’s been in charge for awhile and the team still has many major holes and hasn’t won shit.

As far as locker room culture, I’m not sure Ballard has built all that great of one. You don’t have a winning culture if you don’t win, right? And I have serious doubts about this team’s commitment to winning considering how many “leaders” in the locker room were willing to throw the season away

I honestly like Ballard, but there is plenty of room to criticize his methods without being inconsistent with the criticisms of Grigson.

Last edited by rm1369; 02-13-2022 at 11:20 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (02-13-2022), JAFF (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
It is entirely possible to criticize both Grigson and a Ballard’s philosophy without being inconsistent. There is a pretty decent middle ground between the two. Grigson largely used free agency how I think you should - to fill some holes you can’t immediately fill in the draft. He wasn’t trying to “buy” a team, he filled weaknesses with mid level guys. He over paid them (as you are largely required to), but didn’t mortgage the future. He just couldn’t draft for shit and no system will work long term if you can’t draft. And he was a complete ass.

Ballard doesn’t make decisions based on what the team needs, he makes decisions based on “winning” the transaction with the idea he’ll eventually draft whatever the team needs anyway. The issue is you can never draft enough to adequately fill all the holes. Not to mention the team has yet to adequately fill the three most important positions for winning - QB, DE, and LT. So yes he’s been great drafting but he’s been in charge for awhile and the team still has many major holes and hasn’t won shit.

As far as locker room culture, I’m not sure Ballard has built all that great of one. You don’t have a winning culture if you don’t win, right? And I have serious doubts about this team’s commitment to winning considering how many “leaders” in the locker room were willing to throw the season away

I honestly like Ballard, but there is plenty of room to criticize his methods without being inconsistent with the criticisms of Grigson.
Great points. Ballard is ok to good, but he's not as great as people make him out to be. I think a lot of this is relative perception since Griggs sucked so much at his job.

Also, agree on the team culture. Team's with winning cultures don't go shit the bed at the Jagoffs with a playoff spot on the line.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:48 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
They need to go back in time and make the run game the focus of the offense. Beat the other team over the head with the best running back in the league, and hit them with play action and maybe some RPO‘s back side and keep the other team guessing. I’m not saying Wentz is dumb. I would like to see an offense when it comes to the line that the other team hasn’t been able to adjust and predict what they were going to do. Did the Colts run a screen play ever last year?
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 01:05 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,664 Times in 2,049 Posts

I said all this shit last year.

It might be that Ballard is pretty good. Seems with fans they either have to be at one extreme or the other, there is no in between. Ballard is far from perfect, I’ve criticized him enough on here. But I certainly don’t think he is trash and think he is one of the best drafters in the business, which is very valuable. But you have to use some FA to supplement your roster.

It seems to me he is biding his time till he thinks we found the next QB. It wasn’t Jacoby, wasn’t Rivers, isn’t Wentz. I think he will spend a mid round pick on a guy as well. Colts are in a tough spot to find a QB. It sucks and I’m not sure outside of trading into the top five how it’s going to get fixed.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 02-13-2022 at 01:57 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
JAFF (02-13-2022), Racehorse (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 01:07 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,664 Times in 2,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
They need to go back in time and make the run game the focus of the offense. Beat the other team over the head with the best running back in the league, and hit them with play action and maybe some RPO‘s back side and keep the other team guessing. I’m not saying Wentz is dumb. I would like to see an offense when it comes to the line that the other team hasn’t been able to adjust and predict what they were going to do. Did the Colts run a screen play ever last year?
Of course they did. A couple of JTs biggest plays were screens. Although sometimes Wentz would go off script and throw it downfield. But screens were pretty much the only time Wentz would throw it to JT.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:09 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

We haven't even won the division since 2014. Eight years ago. That's not good enough. To be fair though, Luck torpedoed the team when he quit. That act alone might have set them back ten years or more. We're Browns level right now.
JAFF (02-13-2022), Oldcolt (02-13-2022), Spike (02-13-2022)