ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-20-2021, 09:58 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
He’s not a dual threat QB dude. He is a pocket passing QB. Can he scramble for a first down? Sure. If he going to scare a team with his legs? No. And I said he was shorter than Reich seems to like. Not that he was too short for the position. Don’t need 20 posts back and forth about it. If you want to see his actual athletiscm we can wait for the combine or his pro day. He looks lead footed to me. Occasional bootleg, but he won’t break a defense down with his legs. He really tries to stay in the pocket. And I don’t see him buying a lot of throw time with his legs by leaving it.

His quick decision making, accuracy, and ability to hit his guys in stride is what I do like. If you protect him I think he can pick apart a D. I think his floor is a solid backup QB. He does run RPOs well which I think Reich will take notice of. I think he might be a safer bet than Justin Fields who has great ability but also takes way to long to throw at times.
He doesn't have to be Lamar Jackson to be a good NFL QB, and I never said he was a threat to run the ball every down. Your assessment made him sound like Drew Bledsoe, but in this post, I can see we're actually pretty close to agreement on his athleticism for the position, except that you want to call him "lead footed" for some reason. I don't think anyone would say Russell Wilson isn't athletic, but if you look at his Wisconsin tape or his early NFL tape and compare it to Mac Jones vs. Georgia, for example, you'll see similarities in the ways they use their legs. Primarily you'll see both use them to escape pressure, keep their eyes downfield, and use their elite passing traits to push the ball downfield. You'll also see an occasional RPO, as you said, which keeps the defense off balance and forces them to account for the QB, which puts further stress on the defense.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:14 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
He doesn't have to be Lamar Jackson to be a good NFL QB, and I never said he was a threat to run the ball every down. Your assessment made him sound like Drew Bledsoe, but in this post, I can see we're actually pretty close to agreement on his athleticism for the position, except that you want to call him "lead footed" for some reason. I don't think anyone would say Russell Wilson isn't athletic, but if you look at his Wisconsin tape or his early NFL tape and compare it to Mac Jones vs. Georgia, for example, you'll see similarities in the ways they use their legs. Primarily you'll see both use them to escape pressure, keep their eyes downfield, and use their elite passing traits to push the ball downfield. You'll also see an occasional RPO, as you said, which keeps the defense off balance and forces them to account for the QB, which puts further stress on the defense.
I never said he was Drew Bledsoe, you did, and I never said he had to be Lamar Jackson. Please stop with the disingenuous exaggerations.

If you need a comparison to understand what I am saying, I'll compare his ability to scramble to Derek Carr. (I suspect Carr might be faster with a 4.67) Jones can probably get a first down if there is a lane and the pocket breaks down. He cannot extend a play horizontally with his legs. He cannot run away from pursuit. He will not threaten a defense with his legs and will not demand a spy. I call him lead-footed bc he looks lead-footed. Do you see him running for TD's or first downs? He is a pro-style QB, not a dual-threat QB.

Now you are comparing him to Russel Wilson, one of the best dual-threat QB's in the league. What are you talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecl7ij3Dg0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8r7wLnb1xc

Mac Jones had 35 rushing yards this year and 1 rushing TD. A QB sneak from the 2-yard line. He had -6 rushing yards in high school.

Russel Wilson had 370 yards and 5 TDs his final year.

They don't look similar at all running the ball. Jones can barely get the ball away if the pocket breaks down. He doesn't have the speed to extend the play. Wilson is a threat to score when he starts running.

As for RPO; Jones's run option was handing off to Najee Harris, not running it himself. Which is Reich's style. Wisconsin doesn't run RPO, they are like the least RPO school in college.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 01-20-2021 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:57 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
I never said he was Drew Bledsoe, you did, and I never said he had to be Lamar Jackson. Please stop with the disingenuous exaggerations.
Dude, it is Dam. What do you expect?
Chromeburn (01-20-2021), smitty46953 (01-20-2021), YDFL Commish (01-21-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 08:12 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:

If you need a comparison to understand what I am saying, I'll compare his ability to scramble to Derek Carr. (I suspect Carr might be faster with a 4.67) Jones can probably get a first down if there is a lane and the pocket breaks down. He cannot extend a play horizontally with his legs. He cannot run away from pursuit. He will not threaten a defense with his legs and will not demand a spy. I call him lead-footed bc he looks lead-footed. Do you see him running for TD's or first downs? He is a pro-style QB, not a dual-threat QB.

Now you are comparing him to Russel Wilson, one of the best dual-threat QB's in the league. What are you talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecl7ij3Dg0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8r7wLnb1xc

Mac Jones had 35 rushing yards this year and 1 rushing TD. A QB sneak from the 2-yard line.

Russel Wilson had 370 yards and 5 TDs his final year.

They don't look similar at all running the ball. Jones can barely get the ball away if the pocket breaks down. He doesn't have the speed to extend the play. Wilson is a threat to score when he starts running.

As for RPO; Jones's run option was handing off to Najee Harris, not running it himself. Which is Reich's style. Wisconsin doesn't run RPO, they are like the least RPO school in college.
Dont ask, he will answer. Killing me smalls
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-21-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 09:49 PM

Thanked 1,550 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
You believe we have seen a decrease in stupid behavior in the USA over the last year?
You, sir, have made a valid point.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:48 PM
Accidental Administrator

Rivers was a stupid mistake, we should have started Eason and should start Eason in 2021.

Instead of knowing what we have at QB in Eason, we have another first round playoff loss and no clue what to do at QB.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 01-21-2021, 03:57 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Rivers was a stupid mistake, we should have started Eason and should start Eason in 2021.

Instead of knowing what we have at QB in Eason, we have another first round playoff loss and no clue what to do at QB.
That wouldn't have worked. He didn't even get a full offseason because of COVID, and he very clearly wasn't NFL ready. It would've wasted the rest of the talent on the roster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 05:33 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
That wouldn't have worked. He didn't even get a full offseason because of COVID, and he very clearly wasn't NFL ready. It would've wasted the rest of the talent on the roster.
Wouldn't have worked for what? Not winning our division, barely making the playoffs, one and done? Ok, maybe.

Brissett was on the roster also. he started 15 games last year and threw 6 picks, compared to Rivers' 11.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 01-21-2021, 06:22 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Wouldn't have worked for what? Not winning our division, barely making the playoffs, one and done? Ok, maybe.

Brissett was on the roster also. he started 15 games last year and threw 6 picks, compared to Rivers' 11.
If they'd started Eason, it would've likely completely ruined his development, and the Colts would have a Top 5 pick. You can argue that that would've been better, and in the long term it may have, but I'd prefer to keep the front office that the NFL is trying to pick apart together, which likely would not have happened in that scenario, and this team was one bounce of the football (on Allen's late game fumble) from beating a team that will be in the AFC Championship this week. I'd rather watch the team do that than get a Top 5 pick.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Butter (01-21-2021), Chromeburn (01-22-2021), Dewey 5 (01-21-2021), Racehorse (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 11:36 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:

Ya know we were 1 decision/break short of beating the Bills. If you think Brissett was better last year than Rivers this year, well there is nothing I can say, I am left speechless.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (01-22-2021), Pez (01-22-2021), YDFL Commish (01-22-2021)