ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-28-2023, 07:42 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Report: Colts' Isaiah Rodgers Sr. expected to receive season-long suspension for gamb

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...n/70365428007/

Colts cornerback Isaiah Rodgers Sr. is expected to receive a season-long suspension this week for allegedly gambling, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Schefter tweeted the news Wednesday and said Rodgers Sr. was among a handful of players who will likely receive suspensions.

Earlier this month, a report surfaced that a Colts player was investigated for gambling. Rodgers then took responsibility for the allegations.

"Addressing the current reports, I want to take full responsibility for my actions," Rodgers Sr. said. "I know I have made mistakes and I am willing to do whatever it takes to repair the situation. The last thing I ever wanted to do was to be a distraction to the Colts organization, my coaches and my teammates. I've let people down that I care about.

"I made an error in judgment and I am going to work hard to make sure that those mistakes are rectified through this process. It's an honor to play in the NFL and I have never taken that lightly. I am very sorry for all of this."

Doyel:NFL is hypocritical about gambling, but Colts CB Isaiah Rodgers Sr. has no excuse

A report from SportsHandle.com detailed rampant gambling on the part of a Colts player. According to the NFL's gambling policy, league personnel may not engage in "placing, soliciting or facilitating any bet, whether directly or through a third party," on any NFL game, practice or other league event, such as the draft or combine.

League personnel are allowed to place legal bets on non-NFL sporting events, but these actions cannot take place from inside a team facility or in the course of conducting team or league business, such as boarding a plane to an event.
Old 06-29-2023, 08:13 AM

Thanked 4,413 Times in 2,533 Posts

I am curious to see what other NFL players are guilty. I hope there is no other Colt.
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 11:28 AM

Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I am curious to see what other NFL players are guilty. I hope there is no other Colt.

There had been rumors that the NFL was investigating at least one other Detroit Lions player.

Agreed - hopefully no surprises with any additional Colts.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 01:57 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

It's the lull of the off-season, might as well argue about the principle...

Focusing on the NFL now and not Rodgers (we've established this was clearly a boneheaded thing to do on his part)... Really, what is some of this? What are we differentiating here? It just makes my eyebrows do weird shit when I read it.

Like what is this shit about making bets in a team facility? I was reading this article about a couple guys placing mobile sports bets on their phones... which is apparently fine and well to do... only they did it in the team hotel. Now it's a problem.

If they would've gone downstairs and walked to the next door parking lot, there would have been no problem, no 6-game suspension, no loss of huge salaries. Seems dumb to me.

Last edited by ChaosTheory; 06-29-2023 at 05:05 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (06-29-2023), Racehorse (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 02:06 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Guess he only bet on the Colts to win. If he bet on the to lose I bet he would be kicked out. Plus the fact they were all nickle and dime bets.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (06-29-2023), Colts And Orioles (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 02:17 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post

Guess he only bet on the Colts to win. If he bet on the to lose I bet he would be kicked out. Plus the fact they were all nickle and dime bets.

o

it's also possible that he didn't bet on Colts games ...... betting on any NFL games is a violation of the rules.

Alex Karras never bet on Lions games, and Paul Hornung never bet on Packers games, but their transgressions of betting on other NFL games still earned them both a one-year suspension.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 06-29-2023, 02:59 PM

Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post

So, besides Rodgers, the NFL suspended two more players indefinitely (for at least one season)

Rashod Berry - was on the Jaguars practice squad for most of last year - the Colts poached him a few days before the last game of the season (I assume the betting occurred when he was with the Jags)

Demetrius Taylor - split time on the Lions active roster and practice squad last year

In addition, the league suspended Titans starting RT Nicholas Petit-Frere for 6 games. Petit-Frere bet on non-NFL games while at a work facility.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 03:29 PM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

I don't think this makes Rodgers a bad guy...but he did a really stupid thing, hope he gets some help and if he is our best option next season, I would support bringing him back! But any time you leave your position open, there is a huge chance somebody else will fill it!
Old 06-29-2023, 10:13 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
I don't think this makes Rodgers a bad guy...but he did a really stupid thing, hope he gets some help and if he is our best option next season, I would support bringing him back! But any time you leave your position open, there is a huge chance somebody else will fill it!
I have a hard time wanting a player back who risked his 6 figure salary for bets for what, $100? If he has a gambling problem, there are god knows, other sports to bet on, other than football. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:43 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

Rodgers did a stupid thing by breaking a clear rule.

But let's not get carried away as if he's got a gambling problem. We're talking about a 24 year old who's earned $2.5m making mostly $25-$50 bets on his phone. I've seen regular ass people spend that much on Candy Crush in a month.

It's not like having $300 in the bank and making a $1200 bet on the Cleveland State vs Northern Kentucky lacrosse game. Now that's a rush.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (06-30-2023)