ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-12-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
We aren’t looking for impact players. We are looking for bargain players that barely outplay their contracts. Winning games does t matter. Only not overpaying and banking cash matters. In 5 years we can sign one of our own.

Building a culture is better than a championship
This is getting ridiculous. What about Ballard’s plan causes you to think it isn’t working? That we didn’t win the SB? Let’s ignore the obvious progress and become the Jets and burn a bunch of cash on free agents to put us over the top. That always works. What free agent from last year’s class was Ballard wrong not to pursue?
Old 03-12-2019, 10:59 PM

Cool

We already played that game with you...
Old 03-12-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
Calling for Ballard's head is too stupid to be seriously discussed.

On the general subject of Ballard + roster additions, I would say two things:

1. I don't think this is the year Colts go all-in. I think that is 2020.

2. I do worry, though, that Colts won't ever go all-in. I worry that they're going to be the NFL's Pacers: always good because they're smart and value chemistry, but never great because they're too in love with chemistry and never make bold moves. Good can be the enemy of great. I think Polian took his swings to be great in the draft with largely unpopular (at the time!) picks like Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne, Joseph Addai etc. I also think Polian's flaw was that Corey Simon's health scared Polian away from big free agent swings when Simon was perfect when healthy and a totally reasonable signing.

Colts don't have to go all-in this year; they're probably not ready for it. But they do need to next year. If they keep playing moneyball, they might make an AFC title game one year, but that's the ceiling.
I think “good can be the enemy of great” is a quote (or very close to a quote) that Balland used himself at the end of the season, so his mindset is certainly not where you seem to think it is. I’m just shocked at the number of people here are calling for the Colts to start signing big name free agents when we’re just coming off a season which SHOWED how much progress can be made by a disciplined approach. Where is the evidence that signing these guys is the path to glory?
Old 03-12-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Classic View Post
We already played that game with you...
But it’s obvious - there wasn’t one. Now you guys are repeating all the same old arguments again...it’s crazy
Old 03-12-2019, 11:32 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I think “good can be the enemy of great” is a quote (or very close to a quote) that Balland used himself at the end of the season, so his mindset is certainly not where you seem to think it is. I’m just shocked at the number of people here are calling for the Colts to start signing big name free agents when we’re just coming off a season which SHOWED how much progress can be made by a disciplined approach. Where is the evidence that signing these guys is the path to glory?
Did last season show that, or did it show that Andrew Luck returned to 100% and play 16 games?

The answer is somewhere in between, and obviously yes, Ebron, Autry, Nelson, Smith, Leonard were huge and testament. But I'd argue Lewis and Turay really weren't, and Colts don't have nearly the same draft cache this year (albeit still above average).

Harder to hit on Nelsons and Leonards when you pick where Colts are picking now.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Did last season show that, or did it show that Andrew Luck returned to 100% and play 16 games?

The answer is somewhere in between, and obviously yes, Ebron, Autry, Nelson, Smith, Leonard were huge and testament. But I'd argue Lewis and Turay really weren't, and Colts don't have nearly the same draft cache this year (albeit still above average).

Harder to hit on Nelsons and Leonards when you pick where Colts are picking now.
Compare the defensive stats between the last two seasons - it wasn’t all Luck. And don’t forget the OL and what role that played in Luck’s success. Luck’s play obviously was a big boost, but it was far from the sole reason for the improvement. We were better - and far better in some areas - across the board.

I know the road gets harder, but I believe the Colts and Ballard when they say they are aiming high, and want multiple SBs. And I think they are following though on this goal.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:50 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:

The Colts have two picks in this draft higher than where they got Leonard last year. And you know better than to judge a player strictly on their rookie season, especially pass rushers.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:53 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Compare the defensive stats between the last two seasons - it wasn’t all Luck. And don’t forget the OL and what role that played in Luck’s success. Luck’s play obviously was a big boost, but it was far from the sole reason for the improvement. We were better - and far better in some areas - across the board.

I know the road gets harder, but I believe the Colts and Ballard when they say they are aiming high, and want multiple SBs. And I think they are following though on this goal.
People keep forgetting that Ballard’s big free agent signings last year really turned the OL from one of the worst to one of the best in the league.

Oh, wait.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:43 AM

Thanked 4,294 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
How many offseasons did the Patriots win before their 6 titles? The only one was 2007 and they lost that year.

Look, I’m irritated that Ballard hasn’t done more, but it isn’t worth the level of griping on this board. There is more than one way to skin a cat. He has a plan that is capable of resulting in continued results. Let’s see if he can pull it off.
I was making fun of fans with that post. Not being real serious. Exaggerating the idiocy that is taking over the fanbase
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 05:45 AM

Thanked 4,294 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:

The colts defense was better than I expected but we also played like 12 games against terrible quarterbacks