ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-17-2019, 03:29 PM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 794 Posts

So its still gap discipline and mis-reads by the LBs. I remember this being a major problem back in 2004. It wasn't so bad last year, it seems like they just need more practice or game-time experience.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:32 PM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I'm pretty sure Hoosier meant Justin Houston...unless you're going straight sarcasm and I just can't read between the lines.
Yea, that was in the context of the above question about who might get cut when Sheard comes back.

I doubt we'd cut Houston (more likely Millgan, Lewis, or Ward) but I was just wondering.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:57 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

I want Kelly on this team. JB has shown a willingness to go all Luck on us- which means he is also likely to experience some of Luck's luck too at some point this season meaning he's going to miss games.

I didn't really know ALL of the Kelly story in terms of the depth of his talent. I knew he had a crazy good season at Ole Miss but I didn't know he was originally at Clemson. Jim Kelly has said he is more athletic and has a bigger arm than he does- that's a pretty bold statement.

To me he represents greater upside than Hoyer.

In terms of Houston, I've thought he has played fine. On one of the Autry sacks Sunday he arrives right at the same time as Autry so he was getting him if Autry did not. Haven't noticed him getting rocked backwards or collapsed inside. Agree with the poster that said so far the running issues seem to be in the middle with the LB's not fitting well- DL HAS NOT been filling those lanes like we are used to and Walker has really been guilty of overpursuit. Clean some of that up and we might be among the best Defenses in the league.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:40 PM

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,198 Posts

With all the QB's we've seen going down, I'm not sure Kelly clears waivers. I think until Sheard comes back, you add him to the active roster, then maybe see if he has a market.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:43 PM

Thanked 2,591 Times in 1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Sheard is also coming back. Are there two guys on the current roster you want to cut?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I'm not sure who gets cut to make room for Sheard
Whenever Jabaal Sheard is ready to play, no roster move will be required. He is currently on the active roster. The Colts deemed his injury to be minor and decided to carry him on the active roster (obviously he has been on the inactive list on game days for Weeks 1 and 2)

If the Colts want to create room on the active roster for Kelly, then I think S Rolan Milligan would be the first player cut....and then the Colts would try to sign Rolan back to the practice squad. I think he occupies the "we need a roster spot" role currently. Erik Swoope had that role last year - going back and forth between active roster and practice squad.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 09-18-2019 at 12:00 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Butter (09-17-2019), ChoppedWood (09-17-2019), IndyNorm (09-17-2019), Oldcolt (09-17-2019), Racehorse (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 09:36 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
I agree Smitty, I would figure a way to get him on the roster, then try to trade him.
Why would they try to trade him? Our QB situation is not resolved. Brissett has been a decent game manager, but hasn't shown to be a franchise qb. Hoyer definitely isn't, so why would they trade a young kid with potential? We need to be keeping talent at qb and hoping we hit on one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
Spike (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Why would they try to trade him? Our QB situation is not resolved. Brissett has been a decent game manager, but hasn't shown to be a franchise qb. Hoyer definitely isn't, so why would they trade a young kid with potential? We need to be keeping talent at qb and hoping we hit on one.
Still two games in. Gotta see if the guy can grow into the position.

There have been some positives. Guy is like Houdini avoiding the pass rush. And he had some nice throws. Hit Campbell in stride with a nice touch throw.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 09-18-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:22 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Still two games in. Gotta see if the guy can grow into the position.

There have been some positives. Guy is like Houdini avoiding the pass rush. And he had some nice throws. Hit Campbell in stride with a nice touch throw.
He's getting that chance. I would prefer either the line block better or Brissett gets rid of the ball instead of relying on him doing a lot of houdini escapes. It makes me wonder if he's not seeing and adjusting the protection correctly. We'll see if he improves as the season goes on.

The position is still far from settled though, so getting rid of another young talented QB would be dumb at this point.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:18 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Ballard believes in competition. He told Doyal that he would never leave the Colts as thin at qb as they were when Luck retired. Not only would I like to see us keep Kelly I think we need to draft a qb next year. Not only do we need competition I don’t want to see us pay $30 million or more a year for an average qb. We need options at that position going forward, just like every other position
Old 09-18-2019, 02:41 PM

Someone posted that Kelly is practicing with the team today.
The Following User Says Thank You to CanuckColt For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (09-18-2019)