ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 11:30 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts
Default Senior Bowl Discussion

I thought I would start a thread on the senior bowl since our front office loves to draft guys that do well at it. I'll post articles I come across and my thoughts on the tidbits I catch. If you want to watch some practices they will be on the NFL network in the afternoon of this week.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...e-for-patriots

Quote:
MOBILE, Ala. -- With Reese's Senior Bowl practices getting underway on Tuesday, 100-plus prospects for the 2020 NFL Draft are in the midst of a crucial job interview. NFL.com's Lance Zierlein and Chase Goodbread provide a look at standouts from Day 1, as well as notes from the player media day held on Tuesday.

Tune in for one-hour 2020 Senior Bowl Practice recap shows Tuesday, Jan. 21-Thursday, Jan. 23 at 8 p.m. ET on NFL Network and watch the Senior Bowl game live on NFL Network as well as the NFL and Network apps at 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 25.

Five stars from Day 1 of Senior Bowl practice
Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina. Kinlaw was ruining people during Tuesday's practice. His length and size were just too much for the competition, and he played with a lot of momentum. He projects as a first-round pick. The question is, how early will he be picked in the opening stanza? He measured 6-foot-5 and 315 pounds with an 84-inch wingspan on Tuesday morning, so just walking across the stage at the weigh-in pushed him up the board. This guy has some rare physical traits. If he convinces teams he can rush the passer during the pre-draft process, he can push himself toward the first half of Round 1.

Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic. No one could guard Bryant out here. When I watched his tape from the 2019 season opener against Ohio State (6 catches for 79 yards), it was easy to see that he can play against high-level talent. He did the same thing at practice on Tuesday. In one-on-one matchups, he dominated. He can split out wide, play him from the slot, in-line or at H-back. I think he's going to keep making himself money and lock in as a top-40 pick.

Jason Strowbridge, DE, North Carolina. All I could think of standing next to Bill Belichick on the sideline on Tuesday while watching Strowbridge was Deatrich Wise. The former Tar Heel looks like a Patriots pass rusher. Wise went to the Pats in the fourth round in 2017. A lot of times you'll see guys with traits who are kind of raw go in that round, and Strowbridge might fit that mold. He's tough. He's physical. And he helped himself on Tuesday. His North team is being coached this week by the Lions' Matt Patricia, Belichick's former D-coordinator. So who knows? Maybe Detroit and New England will both be targeting him come April.

Zack Baun, LB, Wisconsin. I knew coming into this week, based on my tape study, that Baun can dip and rip and get around the corner. I wanted to see him use counters this week, and on Tuesday, he had a spin counter that was fantastic. He played on the line and off the ball during practice, showing his versatility. I expected him to have a good week and I think he's off to a really good start.

Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty. Gandy-Golden had some moments on the Ladd-Peebles Stadium field today. He showed he belonged. That's the one thing you want to see right off the bat with a small-school guy like him. You could tell that he was not intimidated by the big stage. I was really impressed by the way he blocked, too.

-- Lance Zierlein

MEDIA DAY: What we learned from Zac Taylor, Justin Herbert and more
Bengals coach understanding of Burrow's absence. As much as the Cincinnati Bengals might have liked to spend a week coaching former LSU QB Joe Burrow at the Senior Bowl, coach Zac Taylor wasn't at all put off by Burrow's decision to pass on an invitation. The length of LSU's run to win a College Football Playoff national championship, Taylor noted, made his absence unsurprising. LSU went 15-0 and knocked off Clemson for the title just eight days ago.

"I certainly understand -- I mean, the guy just played an NFL season. There is still plenty of time to get to know all the players in the draft before April rolls around," Taylor said on Tuesday at the Senior Bowl's media day event. "... To go undefeated, win the national championship, be the leader he is, that stuff is really impressive. He certainly has a lot of great traits, things you get excited about as a coach. (We're) still going through the evaluation process with him, just like all the quarterbacks here."

The Bengals hold the No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft, and Burrow's demolition of LSU opponents in leading the NCAA's top-ranked offense (568 yards per game) has generated heavy speculation that Cincinnati could make him the top selection. Taylor addressed a report that the Bengals have no intention of trading the selection by saying that no decisions have been made.

Herbert takes on leadership questions. Oregon's Justin Herbert is using the Senior Bowl week as an opportunity to flip the perception that he's overly quiet and, therefore, not what some NFL clubs might look for in a face-of-franchise quarterback. It's a label he doesn't accept.

"I think people are worried about leadership and me being a pretty quiet guy," Herbert said. "I would say I'm not too quiet, and unfortunately, I'll talk your ear off. ... I think early in my career I was a pretty quiet guy. I was shy, but as the years went on, I kind of stepped out of my comfort zone. I forced myself to be uncomfortable and kind of found myself and where I fit in the offense."

Herbert is the top prospect in Mobile this week, according to Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy. The Cincinnati Bengals will coach Herbert on the South squad, giving head coach Zac Taylor and his staff an up-close look at Herbert's assertiveness not only on the field, but in team meetings as well. Taylor extolled that advantage Monday, saying it's a perspective other NFL clubs can't get just from Senior Bowl interviews.

Hurts on Hurts. What does Jalen Hurts offer NFL clubs that Joe Burrow doesn't? The South squad quarterback wasn't going there when asked to compare himself with the former LSU star who is widely expected to be the first QB selected in the draft.

"I don't want to get into comparisons or things like that. That's kind of like the kiss of death," Hurts said. "I think I try and be the best version of myself. ... Keep your head down and go to work -- everybody has an opinion, and rightfully so, but I control what I can control. My effort, my mindset, my mental approach to handle my business."

Truth is, the two aren't much alike as prospects. Burrow stands 6-foot-4 and is more of a pure passer, although he proved to be dangerous as a runner in 2019 as well. Hurts measured at 6-foot-1 at the Senior Bowl on Tuesday and brings a resume as a rusher like no other quarterback in Mobile this week. He ran for 1,298 yards at OU last year and has over 3,000 for his college career, with a strong lower body that translates for both power and speed. According to an AFC scout, accuracy and ball placement are the traits Hurts needs to show most in Senior Bowl practices.

Loving Mahomes. Former Utah State QB Jordan Love said Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes is his favorite quarterback to watch in the NFL today, and relishes comparisons between himself and the new AFC champion QB, as you might expect from any prospect mentioned with a reigning NFL MVP.

"Both (of us) have strong arms. He obviously can make some ridiculous throws, off-schedule (throws) and stuff like that," Love said. "It's something I've seen and tried out with my game, being able to make throws like that. I hope to be on the same platform as him."

One area where the two don't compare at all is hand size. Mahomes' measured at 9 1/4 inches at the 2017 NFL Scouting Combine, considered acceptable but on the small side by NFL scouts who value larger hands in quarterbacks for ball security reasons. Love had the biggest hands of any quarterback at the Senior Bowl, measuring 10 5/8 inches.

Love struggled last season in throwing an FBS-high 17 interceptions in a season of adjustments, as he lost most of his key targets from a prolific 2018 season and played under a new coaching staff in 2019. Love said he forced the ball downfield too often last year in certain situations, and believes it will be crucial for him this week to show scouts he can make smarter decisions and read the field effectively.

LATEST ANALYSIS
▶ Jeremiah mock draft 1.0
▶ Unsung hero for each AFC team
▶ Landing spots for Rivers
Kinlaw likes Panthers. The aforementioned Javon Kinlaw got a strong vibe from the Carolina Panthers after meeting with new coach Matt Rhule and other club staffers on Sunday evening.

"I know they like me, for sure. A whole lot," said the former South Carolina defensive tackle. "They have some free agency guys (on the defensive line), so I definitely feel like I could go in there and make something happen."

Nagy called Kinlaw likely the second-best draft prospect in Mobile this week, behind Herbert.

Dugger staying at safety? Lenoir-Rhyne S Kyle Dugger said he was initially told by Nagy to be prepared to be asked to participate in some linebacker drills this week, but is beginning to wonder if it will happen.

"I haven't heard any more about it, so right now it looks like I'll just be at safety," he said.

At a shade under 6-foot-1 and 217 pounds, Dugger was massive for a Division-II safety and is considered one of the top D-II players in Mobile this week. His size and power as a tackler have led some scouts to consider him more of a hybrid linebacker who could play effectively in coverage against running backs and tight ends on passing downs.

Extra points. Auburn OT Prince Tega Wanogho is one of several players who were withheld from the game following their physical examinations upon arrival. Wanogho said fluid in his knee caused some swelling and forced him to sit out the week, but he intends remain in Mobile to interview with clubs and attend South team meetings. ... Alabama DL Raekwon Davis was a late withdrawal from the Senior Bowl due to an ankle injury.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-22-2020), Puck (01-22-2020), Racehorse (01-22-2020), Spike (01-22-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 11:33 PM
Post whore

Todd Mcshay talking about the first day

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/i...ft-risers-more

Quote:
The first practices of the 2020 Senior Bowl, an invite-only showcase of the top upperclassmen in the country, are in the books.

With one session down for each team, NFL draft experts Todd McShay and Steve Muench break down how the best prospects fared on Day 1, which under-the-radar prospects are rising and more. Ten participants in last year's event ended up being 2019 first-round picks. Who might join them in 2020?

Tune in for coverage of the rest of the workouts on Wednesday and Thursday at 1:30 p.m. ET on ESPNU/ESPN App. The game is Saturday at 2:30 p.m. ET on NFL Network.

McSHAY'S QUARTERBACK REPORT
Let's look at how the signal-callers did on Day 1 (rankings are from Scouts Inc.):

Justin Herbert, Oregon
Team: South | QB ranking: 3

Herbert is very clearly the most talented quarterback on the field, and that's going to work in his favor. The Senior Bowl is a great opportunity for him to stand out and firmly entrench himself as a first-rounder. On Tuesday, he looked natural with his footwork, showcased some athleticism and was consistently accurate. Throw in his 6-foot-6, 227-pound size and 10-inch hands, and you can see why scouts like his physical traits.

Jordan Love, Utah State
Team: North | QB ranking: 6

My early impression is that Love stands to benefit from this week as much as anyone else on the field. Some scouts still think he might have Round 1 potential, and he performed well in Day 1 workouts. He moves well, extending plays and effectively throwing on the run. And he certainly has a good arm and isn't afraid to use it. I'd like to see him work on consistency and protecting the football, though. He takes risks. But you can see the talent, and I'm excited to see how he performs the rest of the week.

Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma
Team: South | QB ranking: 9

Senior Bowl preview: 2020 NFL draft prospects you need to know
Hurts is smart, possesses a good arm and is super athletic. But he just has to be more accurate. His ball placement was very inconsistent Tuesday -- as it was during the season -- and frankly, it's a difficult area to improve. He ended his season with a 15-of-31 performance in the College Football Playoff semifinal, and he picked right up where he left off in his first Senior Bowl workout. I love the way he competes and battles, but that accuracy issue is going to hold him back.

Anthony Gordon, Washington State
Team: North | QB ranking: 8

I didn't see as many reps from Gordon as I would have liked on Tuesday, but he missed some throws and seemed to be playing a little fast at times. I do like his game, but he really needs to find a rhythm over the next few days. When he settles in, the Day 3 quarterback has some game.

Steven Montez, Colorado
Team: South | QB ranking: 13

Montez has a big arm. But while he can drive the ball vertically, he is often late on timing throws. Rather than anticipating, he wants to see his target open or facing him before throwing. That's an issue. He has good 6-foot-4, 240-pound size, but his feet looked slow during drills. And when going through his progressions, his feet aren't always tied to his eyes, leading to some off-balance throws.

Shea Patterson, Michigan
Team: North | QB ranking: 16

Patterson's 6-foot-1 size was pretty surprising to me (he is listed as 6-2 at Michigan). It's not the end-all, be-all, but it's worth noting. He went through some ups and downs on Tuesday, missing some easy throws. I'd like to see him tighten that up as the week goes on. He is a Day 3 guy at this point.

DAY 1 DRAFT RISERS
These are the under-the-radar prospects who had a strong day of practice Tuesday and whose college tape deserves closer inspection:

Devin Duvernay, WR, Texas
Team: South

Duvernay's top-end speed is decent, but it was his quickness in getting off the line and then transitioning upfield after the catch that really stood out all day long. He was consistently open and looked very natural making the catch and then turning and going. Duvernay is undersized at 5-foot-11, but make no mistake: He produces. He hauled in 106 balls for 1,386 yards and nine touchdowns this season. A likely midrounder in April, Duvernay was really fun to watch on Tuesday. -- McShay

2020 NFL draft coverage

What you need to know:
• First-round draft order: Picks 1-28 »
• McShay's 2020 NFL Mock Draft 1.0 »
• Kiper's Big Board » | McShay's Top 32 »
• First Draft podcast » | 32 draft nuggets »
• Full draft rankings from Scouts Inc. »
More NFL draft coverage »

Davon Hamilton, DT, Ohio State
Team: North

For a guy who came in at 327 pounds, Hamilton looked quick, carrying his weight well in practice. He got into blockers, driving them back and redefining the line of scrimmage. He particularly stood out in one-on-one drills both against the run and as a pass-rusher. While Hamilton definitely has some room to grow as a hand-fighter, you can see he has violent hands and good snap. He's someone to keep an eye on. -- Muench

Troy Pride Jr., CB, Notre Dame

Plain and simple, no one could run past him all day. Pride has tremendous speed, and it was on full display in Mobile on Tuesday. I have him as a Day 2 guy right now, and he's someone to watch. -- McShay

Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

Kinlaw was unblockable Tuesday -- the most impressive defensive lineman I saw. He has length and quick hands, and he's really tough to stop coming through the middle. Kinlaw beat Clemson guard John Simpson clean at one point. We have him ranked No. 14 at Scouts Inc. right now, and he looked every bit the part of an early first-rounder. -- Muench

QUICK HITTERS
Here are some additional scouting notes on players who stood out on the practice field:

McShay:

I love the talent of Wisconsin outside linebacker Zack Baun. He measured at 6-foot-2, 240 pounds, and he is quicker than he is given credit for. Baun is a really instinctive player, and you could see it on Tuesday. I have him as an early Day 2 pick right now.

James Proche, a wide receiver out of SMU, stood out for me. He looked great catching punts, exuding natural ability and lots of confidence.

UCLA cornerback Darnay Holmes had a really good Tuesday workout. He is flying under the radar a bit after dealing with some injuries this season, but he has some serious wheels.

Georgia Southern cornerback Kindle Vildor was sticky in man-to-man coverage on Tuesday and tracks the vertical ball very well. Not many people knew him coming in, but he stands to make a name for himself this week. He had a big interception downfield and then another on a tipped ball.

Lamical Perine runs behind his shoulder pads. I saw it during the Orange Bowl, and I saw it again Tuesday at practice. He is a bit small, but the Florida running back has good forward lean and always finishes falling forward.

Muench:

South Carolina State's Alex Taylor and St. Johns (Minnesota)'s Ben Bartch went through some ups and downs on Day 1, but they also competed. For a couple of lesser-known, small-school guys, Tuesday was a good jumping-off point. I'm excited to see how these Day 3 value picks perform the rest of the week.

Temple center Matt Hennessy was steady Tuesday. He won't wow you with power and lacks natural ability, and he was beaten a few times. But he gets into position and is the definition of making the most of what you've got.

Penn State defensive tackle Robert Windsor is a candidate to rise this week. Despite being a little heavier than expected, he showed good quickness. I'm keeping a close eye on the midrounder right through the weekend.

Overall, I felt the defensive line got the better of the offensive side in the trenches Tuesday. I'd characterize the offensive line play as choppy, with too many offside jumps. Both team's units need to jell a bit this week and get in sync.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-22-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 11:55 PM
Post whore

So it obviously will be important to watch the QB's this week. I think Herbert, Hurts, Love, and Gordan are all potentials picks if they go QB. At least there is a good chance his first name starts with a J.

If we don't go QB, another J name is Javon Kinlaw and my top choice. I think he will show off what he has got this week. Huge at 6-6, athletic, and disruptive. He doesn't have a ton of sacks but he always seems to blow up plays. Equally disruptive against the run and pass. I almost like him better than Brown who I see as more of a run plugger; kind of like Suh. I think Kinlaw will bring great pressure up the middle as a 3-tech and will be a nitemare for guys to block. Ballard talked about the pressure up the middle being the driving force in this style defense and that starts with a good 3-tech. So you know Ballard is thinking about the position. If we like him, we might becareful of teams trading above us to get him. There is some fall-off after him and you are looking at guys later in the 2nd round. Carolina and Denver have shown an interest in him.

I also like Duverney, the Texas WR in the later rounds. I have been following him all season. His coaches were raving about his hands in spring practices and they said he had the best hands on the team and maybe in the whole conference. He has great short area quickness and runs great routes causing separation. But his long speed is only decent. What I really like about him is his toughness, the guy runs like a running back and is thickly built for the rigors of the NFL. When they played LSU early in the year he took on Grant Delpit, one of the top safeties this year, and he hit Delpit so hard I think he almost knocked him out. Delpit tried to tackle him and Duverney knocked him to the ground.

Thing is, he mainly works out of the slot, Cambell's spot, and he isn't an athletic freak. But I like him and I think he represents a toughness and steadiness they could use in the WR core.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 01-22-2020 at 12:03 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Pez (01-23-2020), Racehorse (01-22-2020), Spike (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 08:09 AM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

I really like Javon Kinlaw. I think he could be the kind of guy added to this Defense that would put the D well on it's way to a top 10 Defense. Obviously adding some more strength to the secondary along with that.

Kinlaw is a game destroyer for opposing offense.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-22-2020), Chromeburn (01-22-2020), Pez (01-23-2020), Puck (01-22-2020), Racehorse (01-22-2020), Spike (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 07:54 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

From everything I've seen/read so far I would be ecstatic with either Kinlaw, Herbert or Lamb at #13. I know that Lamb isn't in the Senior Bowl...But I would still be happy just the same.

Actually, Jeudy would be fine at #13 as well.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:14 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
From everything I've seen/read so far I would be ecstatic with either Kinlaw, Herbert or Lamb at #13. I know that Lamb isn't in the Senior Bowl...But I would still be happy just the same.

Actually, Jeudy would be fine at #13 as well.
I would be fine with any of the top guys really. Kinlaw seems like a realistic possibility, one of the LT's, maybe one of the top 7-8 drop, I hate to take a WR so high but Jeudy and Lamb look like franchise WR's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (01-23-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 11:14 PM
Post whore

Default DAY 2 Reports

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...s-bears-eye-te

Quote:
MOBILE, Ala. -- With Reese's Senior Bowl week in full swing, 100-plus prospects for the 2020 NFL Draft are in the midst of a crucial job interview. NFL.com's Lance Zierlein and Chase Goodbread provide a look at standouts from Day 2, as well as notes from NFL scouts and Wednesday's media sessions.

Tune in for one-hour 2020 Senior Bowl Practice recap shows Tuesday, Jan. 21-Thursday, Jan. 23 at 8 p.m. ET on NFL Network and watch the Senior Bowl game live on NFL Network as well as the NFL and Network apps at 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 25.

Five stars from Day 2 of Senior Bowl practice
Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon. I came into this week thinking Herbert was the best quarterback here in Mobile, and he's only solidified that belief with his performance through his first couple Senior Bowl practices. He looks confident out there and he's not making many mistakes with his decisions. And this is a crucial week for him. Where he ends up going in the draft will be determined more by how he fares this week than his showing at the NFL Scouting Combine. Everyone knows he has the talent of a first-round, franchise QB, but the big question for him at this event is how does he lead his teammates? How does he step up and perform consistently? The Senior Bowl gives him a better stage to display his abilities in those areas than the combine, and he's been up to the challenge to this point. I've been very impressed with his intermediate tosses across the field. Those are throws not everyone can make, but he made it look kind of easy.

Van Jefferson, WR, Florida. On tape, right off the bat, you can see Jefferson's a coach's son based on how he competes (his father, Shawn, is a former NFL receiver who currently serves as the New York Jets' WRs coach). Van's production with the Gators wasn't great, but when you ask around about that issue, the fact that UF's QB play has been inconsistent pops up quite a bit. I know this much: His routes are impeccable. His ability to get open underneath and disguise his breaks is really fun to watch. He made tight-window catches against some pretty good corners on Wednesday. If he's able to break a 4.5-second 40-yard dash at the combine, he's going to get pushed up the draft board. Wherever he goes, he has a chance to outperform his draft position.

Josh Jones, OT, Houston. Jones had some ups and downs during Tuesday's practice -- it's not uncommon for offensive linemen to start off a little slower than defensive linemen at the Senior Bowl -- but on Wednesday, he was impressive. He got into Wisconsin LB Zack Baun -- one of the top performers on Tuesday -- and moved him down the field. In pass pro, he was shutting people down. I talked to some personnel people here who shared my enthusiasm for his performance. He looks better than Tytus Howard did here last year. I think Jones is a second-round tackle, but it won't be a surprise if he gets pushed up the board, just like Howard, who went to the Texans in Round 1 last year, did. He's a physical specimen and a lock to go in the top 40. He's just too long, too athletic, and has too much potential at left tackle to last long in the draft.

Terrell Burgess, DB, Utah. Burgess' versatility is standing out in practice. He played safety and nickelback for the Utes, but I think he'll play nickel in the NFL. He's really instinctive, twitchy and anticipates well. When there's a catch to be made, he's going to be in there trying to break it up. He did it as a matchup corner on Wednesday, and then he did it as a safety, when he was lining up against tight ends and running backs during drills. He'll also support the run, which is something you have to have from your nickel corner. He has the ball skills and athletic ability to be a Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) pick.

Troy Pride Jr., CB, Notre Dame. I knew coming into the week that Pride had the speed and athleticism teams look for at corner. I just didn't see him making a lot of plays when I watched his tape. But out here, that wasn't an issue for him. He was making plenty of plays. In fact, it seemed like he was in on every play. He was up against a bunch of receivers with good size -- USC's Michael Pittman, Baylor's Denzel Mims, Liberty's Antonio Gandy-Golden -- and I thought Pride did a really nice job, especially on Pittman. He made it very difficult for those guys to make catches, and might have made himself some money in the process.

-- Lance Zierlein

What we learned from NFL scouts, Nick Saban and more
From the scouts. Multiple scouts have been impressed with OT Ben Bartch, a rare Division-III invite to the Senior Bowl from Saint John's. Bartch, on the South squad, has largely held his own in practice reps against a strong group of pass rushers who are vastly more physical than the competition he faced at St. John's. An area scout for an NFC team said Bartch shares some similar traits to the Senior Bowl's last D-III success story on the offensive line, Ali Marpet of Hobart College, although Marpet played guard rather than tackle. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers selected Marpet in the second round in 2018. ... South Carolina State OL Alex Taylor, whose length is like no other prospect in Mobile at 6-foot-8 with arms of 36-plus inches, has struggled with some of the South's top defensive linemen. According to an area scout for an AFC team, Taylor lacks the necessary anchor strength in pass protection, but is more of a project as a draft prospect, one who could develop nicely in a year or two but wouldn't likely be a ready-made NFL starter. ... A scout for an AFC team noted Lenoir-Rhyne's Kyle Dugger struggled to catch punts on Tuesday in windy conditions, looking rusty in that role after missing the latter half of the season with an injury. Dugger looked more comfortable catching punts on Wednesday in dealing with several offerings of 50-plus yards from South Carolina's Joseph Charlton. ... Texas Tech OT Terence Steele, on the South squad, has struggled with the quickness the South pass rushers have displayed this week, according to a personnel executive for an AFC team. Alabama's Terrell Lewis, who is working with defensive linemen in Mobile, beat Steele for a strip of Colorado QB Steven Montez late in Wednesday's team drills.

Bears eyeing in-demand TE. North squad TE Adam Trautman of Dayton has been in high demand this week for interviews with clubs.

"Literally, I had a guy reach around and grab me by the stomach and was like 'Hey, I need to talk to you,' " Trautman said, recounting one encounter from a busy hotel lobby here in Mobile.

Dayton head coach Rick Chamberlin has been in town this week to support the Flyers team captain, who set career bests in 2019 in receptions (70), yards (916) and touchdowns (14). Trautman said the Chicago Bears have shown strong early interest.

"They're interested in me," said Trautman. "They tell me they like what they see."

Davis' decision. NFL scouts didn't get a chance to see Alabama defensive lineman Raekwon Davis this week after the Crimson Tide senior was a late withdrawal due to an ankle injury. It was apparently a decision Davis wrestled with, as UA coach Nick Saban said Davis reached out to him over the weekend for advice just a day before players reported to Mobile.

"Raekwon called me on Saturday and said 'I'm still a little injured -- my ankle's still bothering me,' and I said 'Look, it's a simple decision. If you can go create value for yourself because you're healthy (enough), you need to go play because it's a great opportunity for you. If you don't feel like you can do that, don't play, but make sure you let them know so they can get somebody else."

Davis (6-foot-7, 312 pounds) was thought to be a strong candidate for early draft entry in 2019, but drop-off in his play compelled him to return for his senior season. He recorded just half a sack in doing so, which made the Senior Bowl an ideal opportunity to show NFL scouts that his potential is greater than his production.

Humble Herbert. There's never a shortage of draft prospects willing to make their case as the No. 1 pick of the NFL draft, no matter how slight the likelihood. Oregon QB Justin Herbert has no shortage of confidence, either, but he wasn't biting on Wednesday when asked if his performance at the Senior Bowl could open the door to him being the top selection, which is held by the Cincinnati Bengals -- the team coaching his South squad this week.

"I don't know, that's for (teams) to decide. I'm here to compete, have fun, it's an experience that not too many people get to come play football out here," Herbert said. Herbert is arguably the top draft prospect in Mobile and, as my notebook partner Lance Zierlein mentioned earlier in this piece, threw effectively on Wednesday as bitter cold and windy conditions in Mobile early in the week gave way to milder temperatures.

Injury update. Auburn DE Marlon Davidson, one of the Senior Bowl's top draft prospects, will miss the remainder of the practice week with an ankle injury. Davidson attended South squad practice on Wednesday in a walking boot. Also out for the week with an injury is Vanderbilt RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn, according to Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy. Like Davidson, Vaughn attended the South practice and is expected to remain in town for evening interviews with NFL club personnel.

Quotable. "I think you have to ask him that. Look, I get it when players make those choices and decisions and that's their prerogative to do that and we're supportive of what they do, but I think you need to ask him that." -- Alabama coach Nick Saban on his thoughts about edge rusher Terrell Lewis skipping Alabama's bowl game but competing at the Senior Bowl.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 01-22-2020 at 11:57 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (01-23-2020), YDFL Commish (01-23-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 11:57 PM
Post whore

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/i...ft-risers-more

Quote:
McSHAY'S QUARTERBACK REPORT
Let's look at how the signal-callers did on Days 1 and 2 (rankings are from Scouts Inc.).

Justin Herbert, Oregon
Team: South | QB ranking: 3

Day 2: One of the things you look for during Senior Bowl week is how the best of the best take on a leadership role. No matter the locker room, players follow the guys who are playing winning football. And because Herbert obviously is the best quarterback on the field this week, everyone seems to be following him. Not only has he played really well so far, he is taking on a leadership role and continues to come out of his shell.

Jordan Love, Utah State
Team: North | QB ranking: 6

Day 2: Yet again, Love had a good day. He wasn't perfect, and he missed a few throws. But the Senior Bowl allows for apples-to-apples evaluations -- seeing prospects side by side -- and Love is standing out among the North QBs. He hit a good deep ball down the left sideline that really showed his arm strength. I'm not sure I see the consistency of a Round 1 quarterback yet, and he needs some work keeping his feet in balance, but he has upside and needs just a little development. He needs to land in the right place with the right coach.

Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma
Team: South | QB ranking: 9

Day 2: The accuracy problems were in play again, but I did like the way he got the ball out on a few timing throws Wednesday. He flashes that ability. On one deep out route to the left side, he found LSU tight end Stephen Sullivan on a nice ball. The throw was a little high, but he had perfect timing on it. I want to see more of that.

Anthony Gordon, Washington State
Team: North | QB ranking: 8

Day 2: Gordon didn't stand out in a positive or negative way on Wednesday -- he was just solid. He missed a few throws that he normally hits, and he still looked like he was playing fast. But the Day 3 quarterback plays with touch and timing, and he has worked with full-field progressions in Mike Leach's system at Washington State. There's some potential there.

Steven Montez, Colorado
Team: South | QB ranking: 13

Day 2: The slow footwork stood out on Wednesday. Montez struggles to bring his feet around, and he has to work on keeping his feet married to his eyes when staying in the pocket. There is some talent there, and I actually think he looks better on the move when the play breaks down. Montez has some creativity to his game.

Shea Patterson, Michigan
Team: North | QB ranking: 16

Day 2: You can tell Patterson is really fighting and trying to be the guy. He made some good throws on Wednesday but has to get the ball out quicker. Patterson has this unique shot-put delivery that actually helps him get it out on deep shots. He hit a nice one down the left side on Wednesday. But that delivery is a big liability on short-to-intermediate throws, giving defensive linemen an opportunity to bat the pass. UNC's Jason Strowbridge batted two in a row from Patterson.

STANDOUTS AND DRAFT RISERS FROM WEDNESDAY
These prospects had a strong day of practice on Wednesday, and their college tape deserves closer inspection.

Van Jefferson, WR, Florida

Jefferson doesn't have elite speed or quickness, and his 6-foot-1 frame doesn't stand out. But his route running is extremely impressive. He found his way open a lot on Wednesday. His dad is a wide receivers coach, and you can tell he wants to learn about the position. He sought out former NFL wide receiver Torry Holt after practice just to talk with him. Scouts notice that type of stuff. Jefferson is a midrounder in a deep receiver class, but he's doing the right things this week. -- McShay

Jason Strowbridge, DL, North Carolina

Strowbridge had another strong practice on Wednesday. His hands and quickness stand out, as do his instincts in pass-rush drills. On one rep, he wowed by getting a good push and then spinning back inside once he was even with the QB. Strowbridge also batted down two passes in team drills. A fringe Day 2 prospect at the moment, he looks stout for a player with his 6-foot-4, 267-pound size when he plays inside -- but he is versatile and can play inside or outside. -- Muench

Terrell Lewis, OLB, Alabama

Lewis is one of the most talented players in Mobile, and he stood out with his speed on Wednesday. No doubt about it. However, he needs to be more consistent using his hands and could get a little stronger. Lewis is a pure speed rusher right now, and offensive linemen aren't too worried about being pushed over by him. But if he gets a bit stronger and gets his hands in on blockers, he's going to be a problem off the edge. He might find his way into Round 1. -- McShay

Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton

Trautman crashes with his hands, and I really like the way he gets out of breaks. He is a natural runner after the catch, making guys miss and using his free hand to keep would-be tacklers at bay. Trautman, a likely midrounder, looked especially good during a one-on-one tackling drill. -- Muench

QUICK HITTERS
Here are some additional scouting notes on players who stood out on the practice field.

McSHAY:

Day 2

Javon Kinlaw is a physical freak. Man, if he ends up on the right team and and is developed properly, he can be a premier interior lineman. Yes, he didn't play particularly well down the stretch, but he has impressed through two days at the Senior Bowl. Physically speaking, he's one of the best here.

You look at some of these LSU and Clemson guys, and it's worth noting that the College Football Playoff national title game was Jan. 13. It's been barely a week since some experienced the biggest letdown of their college careers and some experienced the incredible high of winning it all. Those players need to store all that away in under 10 days and realize it's time to go back to work. That's impressive, and it's worth pointing out.

MUENCH:

Day 2

Safety Jeremy Chinn is easy to spot on the field because of his 6-foot-3 frame. A playmaker at Southern Illinois, he looked good going up to get the ball during drills. Chinn played some corner in college, and while he is a far better fit at safety, he looked athletic during press drills. And I liked his instincts in zone coverage on Wednesday. He's a midrounder with a chance to climb.

UCLA running back Joshua Kelley showed smooth feet and good vision in 9-on-7 drills. There is no wasted motion with him -- Kelley sees the hole and hits the hole. That continued into the team period of practice. He could end up as a really good Day 3 pick.

Michigan State defensive end Kenny Willekes flashed all day on Wednesday. He made a tackle for loss in 9-on-7. And then the midrounder displayed good hands on an inside move on a speed rush in one-on-one drills. Willekes has a great motor.

Lenoir Rhyne safety Kyle Dugger showed off his ball skills Wednesday, undercutting a route for an interception during one-on-one drills before later tracking an over-the-shoulder pass thrown over his head during drills for another.

FAU tight end Harrison Bryant hasn't disappointed. He's quick enough to separate, and he catches the ball well. On Wednesday, Bryant looked competitive during one-on-one pass protection drills, too.

I mentioned him yesterday, but Penn State defensive tackle Robert Windsor is worth bringing up again after flashing for a second day in a row. He did jump offside at one point, and he can give up ground when he's late off the ball, but he's a problem when he gets off the ball and uses his hands.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (01-23-2020), Spike (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 12:43 AM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Herbert and Love are the only QB's I am looking at. And I am not sure about those two. The rest are just meh!

Last edited by Spike; 01-23-2020 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:26 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

I don't have the time to follow college football so I appreciate the stuff that's being posted.

Question for those who do follow college football. Is there a DT 3 technique in this draft worth a #1 or high #2 in this draft?