ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-12-2021, 08:11 PM

Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,750 Posts
Default quick thoughts on the game

1) god damn it is good to have football back. a friend stopped by to watch the game with me. hanging out having beers and watching football is just so fucking enjoyable.

2) home loss to start the season. that fucking sucks. was really hoping to have a good week 1 this year. making a statement early in the season would be amazing. but fuck. we werent up for it. which isn't surprising. covid carson missing time from injury and being an anti vaxxer. figured it would be a bit sloppy. seahawks are not a team you can be sloppy with. they aren't puck's mom afterall

3) covid carson wasn't the problem. he wasn't great. gave us his every sunday fumble but the dude had nothing to work with. he showed good mobility and some nice touch. also a bit wreckless with the ball on some of those throw aways.

4) rb's looked good. hines and jt are a great duo. was very surprised to not see mack get a series or two. but nothing to complain about here. hines as a wr will be very valuable this season.

5) this oline was a joke. i understand davenport struggling. i expect it. but smith getting bitchmade was not expected. he was just bad. very bad. glowinski and kelly weren't much better. just an unexpected embarrassing game. wentz was getting destroyed. he won't last like that.

6) the wr's werent bad. can't really judge them on this. was definitely surprised we didn't scheme more crossers to campbell. strachan had a couple clutch catches. that was nice

7) doyle was old reliable. really think MAC could have been used more. especially in the red zone. use that mans talents

8) poor willis. he can't handle Lockett. that isn't a surprise. im not mad about it but it does highlight his weakness.

9) kenny moore had some big boy plays in the run game. that kid has doesn't back down at all. carrie and rock were fine.

10) paye belongs. thats all i needed to see.

11) buckner wasn't noticed to start the game but really started making his presence know later in the game. glad to see him pick up where he left off last year. bonagu showed some speed off the edge. curious to see where he will be when and if turay can play.

12) reich's offenses seem to stall after the 1st couple drives. i can't be the only one to notice this. they are just not great in the middle of games. am i the only one thinking this?
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
apballin (09-15-2021), Brylok (09-13-2021), Butter (09-12-2021), CaliColtsFan (09-13-2021), Chaka (09-15-2021), Chromeburn (09-13-2021), Coltsalr (09-12-2021), Dewey 5 (09-12-2021), JAFF (09-13-2021), Luck4Reich (09-12-2021), Oldcolt (09-12-2021), Racehorse (09-13-2021), smitty46953 (09-13-2021), YDFL Commish (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 09:12 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
1) god damn it is good to have football back. a friend stopped by to watch the game with me. hanging out having beers and watching football is just so fucking enjoyable.

2) home loss to start the season. that fucking sucks. was really hoping to have a good week 1 this year. making a statement early in the season would be amazing. but fuck. we werent up for it. which isn't surprising. covid carson missing time from injury and being an anti vaxxer. figured it would be a bit sloppy. seahawks are not a team you can be sloppy with. they aren't puck's mom afterall

3) covid carson wasn't the problem. he wasn't great. gave us his every sunday fumble but the dude had nothing to work with. he showed good mobility and some nice touch. also a bit wreckless with the ball on some of those throw aways.

4) rb's looked good. hines and jt are a great duo. was very surprised to not see mack get a series or two. but nothing to complain about here. hines as a wr will be very valuable this season.

5) this oline was a joke. i understand davenport struggling. i expect it. but smith getting bitchmade was not expected. he was just bad. very bad. glowinski and kelly weren't much better. just an unexpected embarrassing game. wentz was getting destroyed. he won't last like that.

6) the wr's werent bad. can't really judge them on this. was definitely surprised we didn't scheme more crossers to campbell. strachan had a couple clutch catches. that was nice

7) doyle was old reliable. really think MAC could have been used more. especially in the red zone. use that mans talents

8) poor willis. he can't handle Lockett. that isn't a surprise. im not mad about it but it does highlight his weakness.

9) kenny moore had some big boy plays in the run game. that kid has doesn't back down at all. carrie and rock were fine.

10) paye belongs. thats all i needed to see.

11) buckner wasn't noticed to start the game but really started making his presence know later in the game. glad to see him pick up where he left off last year. bonagu showed some speed off the edge. curious to see where he will be when and if turay can play.

12) reich's offenses seem to stall after the 1st couple drives. i can't be the only one to notice this. they are just not great in the middle of games. am i the only one thinking this?
Nope... Not the only one that sees that with Reich's offense and it is very frustrating.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:40 PM

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,198 Posts

Didn't see the 1st half, but in the 2nd half I saw very little, if any of us moving Wentz out of the pocket...isn't this one of the reasons we traded for him?
Old 09-12-2021, 10:09 PM

Thanked 1,895 Times in 922 Posts

I feel like the offense will probably improve provided the o-line doesn’t continue to blow chunks.

Willis got absolutely roasted all day today, but in fairness, Wilson and Lockett are two of the best in the business. They roast a lot of guys.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:24 PM

Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote:
reich's offenses seem to stall after the 1st couple drives. i can't be the only one to notice this. they are just not great in the middle of games. am i the only one thinking this?
I am extremely frustrated with the coaching in general. I don't feel like they are terrible, just middling and it will never get us anywhere. Why won't someone make Eberflus a Head Coach, please somebody do it.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:51 AM

You have a friend ??
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
Hoopsdoc (09-13-2021), IndyNorm (09-13-2021), Oldcolt (09-13-2021), Puck (09-13-2021), Racehorse (09-13-2021), rcubed (09-13-2021), smitty46953 (09-13-2021), TheMugwump (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 10:24 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Practice matters. Seeing bad technique in the highlights. Lack of chemistry between Wentz and the WR's. Lack of chemistry and confusion among the offensive line. Bad tackling or angles. You can't miss training camp and expect to be ready to go perfect in week one. This isn't the NBA.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
CaliColtsFan (09-13-2021), Racehorse (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 11:01 AM

-The biggest issues in this game were Coaching, first half D and our pass D in general. This loss highlights our need for Rhodes (and his heir apparent for next year-prefer it to be a high priced FA here)

-Our D-Line got pushed around and it showed. We don't have any really good man coverage corners on the team, and we displayed very poor tackling (multiple examples but Okereke immediately comes to mind) and Leonard was horrendous in pass coverage on one of their first half TDs.
-I think this performance from our O-line will show to be more of an anomaly as opposed to the norm. With a half second longer on every dropback, Wentz will be that much better.
Speaking of Wentz, he was pretty good, not great. Ill give him a B. He answered the big questions we had about him- he avoided playing hero ball, generally took what the D was giving him, took sacks when he should have, and also had a couple decent throw-aways. He also needs to climb the pocket much better to free up his passing lanes that he sees out there...to many times he would stay on his spot and try to fit it in a tight window instead of shuffling around and climbing the pocket to really step into his throws. I think Reich's 2 seconds and the ball is out mantra was too engrained in Carson yesterday...if the ball wasn't out in 2 seconds he didn't seem to improvise too well or was afforded the time to do so.

-Pascal, Strachan are both solid big bodies. Pittman and Campbell I believe are still question marks. Pittman doesn't command the ball and seems to play a bit more finesse than his size might indicate. Campbell? Well he finished a full game, so there's that?
-I saw Granson a bunch out there, same as MAC, but absolute crickets. For a pass catching TE, these guys could have at least caught COVID. Nothing. Big upgrades to this position will be in store for next year. CB, TE big priorities

-My biggest gripe is the play calling and I am starting to think that Reich may need to consider handing the play calling duties off. He too consistently tries to get cute- run when the D thinks you will pass (with Hines moreover!), predictably run on every first down, and absolutely no creativity when we do get aggressive and go for it on 4th downs. I understand his logic of not taking the points and going for it a few times (our D wasn't stopping anyone nor was I convinced they would), but when you do get the ball back the Offense has no urgency and must have pissed away at least 3 minutes in the 4th quarter to lethargic, clock management play calling. We should have been in 2 minute O for the whole 4th quarter. But then we go for an onside kick with a backheel from our kicker? What's the deal with all of that? If we want to be aggressive than commit to the aggression. Being an aggressive play caller requires you to follow it up with more than just going for it on 4th down- let the rest of your decision making dictate that as well.

Thanks for letting me rant. I am hoping we have a better week next week but I think we are also playing a better team, so it could be a bloodbath. Turay, Rhodes will help. Reich, Pittman and pretty much our whole D needs to shit or get off the pot.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MeSayDayo For This Useful Post:
CaliColtsFan (09-13-2021), Chaka (09-15-2021), Racehorse (09-13-2021), smitty46953 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 11:47 AM

Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
You have a friend ??
I consider all of you my friends
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
albany ed (09-13-2021), apballin (09-15-2021), Coltsalr (09-15-2021), Dewey 5 (09-13-2021), JAFF (09-13-2021), Luck4Reich (09-13-2021), njcoltfan (09-13-2021), Oldcolt (09-13-2021), Racehorse (09-13-2021), rcubed (09-13-2021), ZionsvilleColtsFan (09-19-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 12:41 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

- Wentz was about what I expected. Not bad, not great. First real action and after limited prep time. It will get better.

- OL was shit. Cant wait till fisher gets in there as davenport predictably sucked. But the rest of them, no excuse, they are supposed to be a top notch line and didnt play like it.

- I liked rivers, but it was nice seeing passes from the QB that didnt all look like lob passes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
CaliColtsFan (09-13-2021), Oldcolt (09-13-2021)