ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

View Poll Results: With the third pick...
Barkley 7 14.29%
Chubb 17 34.69%
Nelson 3 6.12%
Trade back 21 42.86%
Other 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2018, 12:14 PM

Matt Miller is a guy I trust (I know GBB88 can back me up on this):

@nfldraftscout
Bradley Chubb is special.

That is all.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:29 PM

On this site, http://walterfootball.com/draft2018charlie.php the mock draft has the Browns taking Barkley, G-men take Rosen, Colts take Chubb and then the Browns take Darnold. If the first two picks actually went this way, there are a few teams that would give up a lot to move ahead of the Browns and take Darnold.

Last edited by albany ed; 01-13-2018 at 06:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to albany ed For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:48 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
Matt Miller is a guy I trust (I know GBB88 can back me up on this):

@nfldraftscout
Bradley Chubb is special.

That is all.
He followed that with:

Since a lot of you are asking: I don't think Chubb is on Myles Garrett's level. Bet I end up grading him similar to Joey Bosa. His agility at 6'4 1/2" and 275 lbs is pretty damn rare.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:51 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
On this site, the mock draft has the Browns taking Barkley, G-men take Rosen, Colts take Chubb and then the Browns take Darnold. If the first two picks actually went this way, there are a few teams that would give up a lot to move ahead of the Browns and take Darnold.
The rankings of the QB talent among the top 5, Rosen, Arnold, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph are all over the place.

I have seen at least 2 sites that have Mason Rudolph as their top QB? Then you throw in the wildcard of Lamar Jackson, who IMO is not a 1st rd QB, and I can see teams falling in love with smoe of these guys and moving up to get them.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:08 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Dang....

I was doing research on the potential hiring of Josh McDaniels and found a few tidbits.

From this article on a Cheats board (Pats Pulpit....here), they looked at McDaniels' offense from 2006 - 2014 and who got the ball (touches) and who gained the most yards.

This period includes McDaniels' 1st time as Cheats OC (2006 - 2008), Denver HC (2009 - 2010) and St. Louis OC (2011) before returning to the Cheats for a 2nd time as OC (2012 - 2014).

What did he find?
Quote:
Running backs have accounted for 63.3% of offensive touches and 41.3% of the offensive yards from scrimmage.
Quote:
Roughly 30% of the touches will go to the wide receivers, as will 45-50% of the yards from scrimmage.
So, through the majority of his time as OC or HC, his offenses have featured his RBs followed by his WRs with his TEs coming in dead last.

I did some spot analysis of the Cheats 2016 / 2017 numbers and they are in line with the above figures.

So, to bring that back to this thread.

Fact A = Ballard says that he drafts BPA pretty much exclusively (obviously, not at QB but otherwise...).

Fact B = Under a McDaniels' offense, the RBs average touching the ball on 63% of the offensive plays (run or pass).

Fact C = The Colts RB corps for 2018 currently is underwhelming. Even if they re-sign Frank Gore, they are still, at best, NFL average.

Fact D = Penn State RB Saquon Barkley is considered by many to be the best player in the 2018 draft and completely NFL ready to start and succeed from day one. Obviously, the combine and the vetting process may change this assessment but as of now....

Ergo, if McDaniels' is the next HC of the Colts, Barkley will be our pick at #3 overall in the 2018 draft. Need plus BPA marry up on this one.

Further, if McDaniels' is the next HC of the Colts, I fully expect that at least 2 "monster" free agency contracts signed by us will be offensive line.

Sigh....not the way that I want it to happen. I like Barkley but our O-Line / Defensive Front-7 are not stocked well enough for us to pick a "luxury" pick of RB at #3 overall, IMO.

But, he will be Andrew's "Edge" and that will make Irsay and McDaniels very happy.

Walk Worthy,

Last edited by sherck; 01-12-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Dang....

I was doing research on the potential hiring of Josh McDaniels and found a few tidbits.

From this article on a Cheats board (Pats Pulpit....here), they looked at McDaniels' offense from 2006 - 2014 and who got the ball (touches) and who gained the most yards.

This period includes McDaniels' 1st time as Cheats OC (2006 - 2008), Denver HC (2009 - 2010) and St. Louis OC (2011) before returning to the Cheats for a 2nd time as OC (2012 - 2014).

What did he find?

So, through the majority of his time as OC or HC, his offenses have featured his RBs followed by his WRs with his TEs coming in dead last.

I did some spot analysis of the Cheats 2016 / 2017 numbers and they are in line with the above figures.

So, to bring that back to this thread.

Fact A = Ballard says that he drafts BPA pretty much exclusively (obviously, not at QB but otherwise...).

Fact B = Under a McDaniels' offense, the RBs average touching the ball on 63% of the offensive plays (run or pass).

Fact C = The Colts RB corps for 2018 currently is underwhelming. Even if they re-sign Frank Gore, they are still, at best, NFL average.

Fact D = Penn State RB Saquon Barkley is considered by many to be the best player in the 2018 draft and completely NFL ready to start and succeed from day one. Obviously, the combine and the vetting process may change this assessment but as of now....

Ergo, if McDaniels' is the next HC of the Colts, Barkley will be our pick at #3 overall in the 2018 draft. Need plus BPA marry up on this one.

Further, if McDaniels' is the next HC of the Colts, I fully expect that at least 2 "monster" free agency contracts signed by us will be offensive line.

Sigh....not the way that I want it to happen. I like Barkley but our O-Line / Defensive Front-7 are not stocked well enough for us to pick a "luxury" pick of RB at #3 overall, IMO.

But, he will be Andrew's "Edge" and that will make Irsay and McDaniels very happy.

Walk Worthy,
But the Pats have done it W/O a superstar RB (other than Corey Dillon), it been mostly a RB by committee. Even back in 2006, there were times that Dillon was a healthy scratch.

The Pats RB's have been Corey Dillon, Lawrence Maroney, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris, Green Ellis, Fred Taylor, Stevan Ridley, Danny Woodhead, Shane Vareen, Brandon Bolden, Jonas Gray, LaGarrette Blount, James White, Dion Lewis, Mike Gilesllee, Rex Burkhead.

Notice a trend? All role playing RB's for the most part.

Although, the Pats offense is labeled a Erhardt/Perkins scheme, essentially BB and McDaniels are running a Ted Marchibroda modified offense from the '70's.

The old timers here can back me up on this, but the Baltmore Colts under Marchibroda threw to the RB's a lot.

I can see a lot of what Brady does under center is very similar to what Bert Jones did.

So, in theory, we would not need a superstar RB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Butter (01-13-2018), VeveJones007 (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
He followed that with:

Since a lot of you are asking: I don't think Chubb is on Myles Garrett's level. Bet I end up grading him similar to Joey Bosa. His agility at 6'4 1/2" and 275 lbs is pretty damn rare.
I'd be okay with a Joey Bosa type at 3. The production scares me a bit with him, though, especially how hot and cold he can be.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:02 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
But the Pats have done it W/O a superstar RB (other than Corey Dillon), it been mostly a RB by committee. Even back in 2006, there were times that Dillon was a healthy scratch.

The Pats RB's have been Corey Dillon, Lawrence Maroney, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris, Green Ellis, Fred Taylor, Stevan Ridley, Danny Woodhead, Shane Vareen, Brandon Bolden, Jonas Gray, LaGarrette Blount, James White, Dion Lewis, Mike Gilesllee, Rex Burkhead.

Although, the Pats offense is labeled a Erhardt/Perkins scheme, essentially BB and McDaniels are running a Ted Marchibroda modified offense from the '70's.

The old timers here can back me up on this, but the Baltmore Colts under Marchibroda threw to the RB's a lot.

I can see a lot of what Brady does under center is very similar to what Bert Jones did.

I don't disagree with you; however....

The Cheats have had the luxury of having a top defense for the majority of their run since 2006. This contributes to....

An effective offense centered around a stud QB. Yeah, I hate Tommy Cheater but he is a stud. This is fueled by....

An offensive line that, while not top five, has been solidly good for a long time. I think that Tommy Cheater's quick release and intelligence game plan design does a lot of this but....

Leading to the fact that RB, while getting 63% of the touches, is RARELY the focus of opposing defenses or opposing game plans. Early on, folks game planned to score on the Pats defense. Later, they game planned to stop Tommy Cheater. Rarely, if ever, did they gameplan to stop the run.

The Colts do not have a top defense, they don't have a stud QB (that might change but currently, and they don't have a demonstrated good game plan. That means that running back by committee will probably not work out much better than it has over the past couple of years for the Colts.

Also, our owner wants Barkley. He wants his next Edge. Big factor there.

I am with you, brother. I want a complete team with studs at QB, O-line, and on Defense before I want a stud RB.

However, if McDaniels' is our next HC, I see all the factors coming together at Barkley at #3 overall.

Walk Worthy,
Old 01-12-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
I don't disagree with you; however....

The Cheats have had the luxury of having a top defense for the majority of their run since 2006. This contributes to....

An effective offense centered around a stud QB. Yeah, I hate Tommy Cheater but he is a stud. This is fueled by....

An offensive line that, while not top five, has been solidly good for a long time. I think that Tommy Cheater's quick release and intelligence game plan design does a lot of this but....

Leading to the fact that RB, while getting 63% of the touches, is RARELY the focus of opposing defenses or opposing game plans. Early on, folks game planned to score on the Pats defense. Later, they game planned to stop Tommy Cheater. Rarely, if ever, did they gameplan to stop the run.

The Colts do not have a top defense, they don't have a stud QB (that might change but currently, and they don't have a demonstrated good game plan. That means that running back by committee will probably not work out much better than it has over the past couple of years for the Colts.

Also, our owner wants Barkley. He wants his next Edge. Big factor there.

I am with you, brother. I want a complete team with studs at QB, O-line, and on Defense before I want a stud RB.

However, if McDaniels' is our next HC, I see all the factors coming together at Barkley at #3 overall.

Walk Worthy,
I was just pointing out that the Pats did it w/o the stud RB. Do I want the stud RB, you bet I do.

Barlkely IMO, can be something special. But if Colts brass believes that a guy like Michel is just a notch below and a better value, than I would rather go that route.

Really good evaluation of Michel here:https://www.pewterreport.com/cover-3...el-sony-shake/

I really like the way he can make his cuts w/o gearing down.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:14 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post

This was going to be my reply as well.

I think the "safe" conclusion is simply that the offense would need a lot of work to get the personnel the way that McDaniels would want it. He likes the quick-hitting passing game underneath and the current roster is not equipped for that style outside of Hilton.