ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-18-2021, 06:09 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
That person is stupid.
Why? Great O line. Good RBs. Young WR and you keep TY.

Opposition crowds the line to stop the run, now you get one on one coverage with the wide receivers. Whoever the next quarterback is he’s going to have to learn a lot. Why not learn with a bunch of young talent. One bad year next year look out.

That’s as if everything else works right. Isn’t it better to go ahead and groom the young new quarterback and take your lumps in one year.?
Old 01-19-2021, 12:14 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Why? Great O line. Good RBs. Young WR and you keep TY.

Opposition crowds the line to stop the run, now you get one on one coverage with the wide receivers. Whoever the next quarterback is he’s going to have to learn a lot. Why not learn with a bunch of young talent. One bad year next year look out.

That’s as if everything else works right. Isn’t it better to go ahead and groom the young new quarterback and take your lumps in one year.?
Because he's not even ready to be the backup at this point, much less the starter, so it's stupid.

If they said he was ready to be the backup, then ok, you have a bit of a point that he can learn on the job, but not as 3rd string. You're just asking for a complete mess and too much pressure and scrutiny for a guy who isn't ready for the job.

Last edited by Maniac; 01-19-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:03 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

No way he plays meaningful minutes next year. I believe his time schedule has not been influenced by our needs at qb. Ballard/Reich are bringing him along on a time schedule that they believe suits Eason best for his personal long term development. It is the right way to go about this in my opinion.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:30 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Mac Jones is 6'3" to Trey Lance's 6'4", not exactly a huge difference, and I thought 6'3" was considered prototypical height for the position, or at least in the range. Also, when watching Mac Jones on tape, what makes you think he's not athletic? The things that make me think he is are watching him extend plays when the pocket collapses, escape sacks and find his way to open field, and outrunning oncoming pass rushers. He wouldn't be able to do those things were he slow. Also, "slow" doesn't necessarily mean unathletic at the QB position. I don't think anyone in the NFL would say Patrick Mahomes is unathletic, but his 40 time was 4.8, and he's considered one of the biggest running threat QBs in the NFL. I'll grant you he doesn't have a big arm, but he has what is IMO the most important arm trait for a QB, which is accuracy. I'll reiterate here that I hope Mac Jones is available at 21 and I hope the Colts pick him if he is.

It would be interesting if he were, and an amazing story if he were to succeed, but I don't think either Ballard or Reich are going to bet their jobs on him basically sight unseen. If he gets forced into action and excels, that's different, but they didn't draft him in such a way that they were putting their jobs on the line in doing so.
You start to quibble those inches but they do matter. He isn’t Drew Brees short but he might get more balls knocked down than others. Although arm length and extension on throws matter also. He does throw with good anticipation so he can put some air under his throws. Plops them down into the wr basket over the CB.

I think his feet seem heavy, he navigates the pocket well. But he will stay in the pocket. I don’t see him bootlegging much or leaving the pocket to throw like a Allen. Mahomes has slow 40 speed but I think he is a better athlete and has the arm to throw accurately on the run. A quicker twitch. Even Drew Brees has juked a guy here and there. But I don’t see that quick twich reflexes in Jones. He diagnoses and gets rid of the ball very fast when under duress. I think that is his strength.

Incidentally, Ballard has said he likes this QB class.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:46 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Because he's not even ready to be the backup at this point, much less the starter, so it's stupid.

If they said he was ready to be the backup, then ok, you have a bit of a point that he can learn on the job, but not as 3rd string. You're just asking for a complete mess and too much pressure and scrutiny for a guy who isn't ready for the job.
And Mac Jones is a better option?
Old 01-19-2021, 11:02 PM

Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
You start to quibble those inches but they do matter.
You sound like my wife.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (01-20-2021), Dewey 5 (01-21-2021), IndyNorm (01-20-2021), Racehorse (01-20-2021), smitty46953 (01-20-2021), TheMugwump (01-20-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 11:03 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
You start to quibble those inches but they do matter. He isn’t Drew Brees short but he might get more balls knocked down than others. Although arm length and extension on throws matter also. He does throw with good anticipation so he can put some air under his throws. Plops them down into the wr basket over the CB.

I think his feet seem heavy, he navigates the pocket well. But he will stay in the pocket. I don’t see him bootlegging much or leaving the pocket to throw like a Allen. Mahomes has slow 40 speed but I think he is a better athlete and has the arm to throw accurately on the run. A quicker twitch. Even Drew Brees has juked a guy here and there. But I don’t see that quick twich reflexes in Jones. He diagnoses and gets rid of the ball very fast when under duress. I think that is his strength.

Incidentally, Ballard has said he likes this QB class.
You're splitting hairs with the height thing. This prompted me to go look it up again, and everything I could find said 6'3"-6'5" is ideal QB height, fwiw. Also, I don't know what film you're watching, but you make Mac Jones sound like Drew Bledsoe when he's not. I think there may be some situations where you're dinging his athleticism because he made the smart decision rather than the athletic one. One example of that came against Ohio State where he started to take off to run for a first down, but instead stopped and flipped a short pass to Jaylen Waddle for a first down. Could he have run for that first down himself? Possibly, but even were he a DeShaun Watson level of athlete at the QB position, he's not the athlete that Jaylen Waddle is, and Waddle outrunning the LB is a much surer bet.

Where we certainly agree is his ability to throw accurately with anticipation and place balls where only his receiver can catch them. Any tape of Mac Jones you put on will have at least 5 throws where Jones releases the football at the exact moment the DB turns to run with the WR, and most of them will go for a big play. Perhaps my favorite throw of his all year had this in spades and looked like something an NFL veteran would do. Again, it was against Ohio State, Alabama had the ball at about the 40 yard line and Ohio State lined up in an obvious Cover 3 shell. Devonta Smith lined up in the slot and ran a deep cross from the left hash to the right corner of the endzone. At the snap, Jones immediately turns his head left, which draws the single high safety who was shading to the offense's right hash to drift to the left, which left Tuf Borland, a LB, on an island against Devonta Smith. The instant Jones looks to Smith he sees the matchup he wants and throws a rainbow to Smith in stride for an easy 6 untouched, ball travels 35-40 air yards. I'll grant you that Devonta Smith is a special player, but I love that play so much for Mac Jones because it's how you win in the NFL. A QB that can manipulate a defense with his eyes to create a 1 on 1 matchup between a LB and a slot WR in the NFL is elite, and creating matchups like LB covering slot WR is how offenses win on Sundays.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:26 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,610 Times in 2,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
You're splitting hairs with the height thing. This prompted me to go look it up again, and everything I could find said 6'3"-6'5" is ideal QB height, fwiw. Also, I don't know what film you're watching, but you make Mac Jones sound like Drew Bledsoe when he's not. I think there may be some situations where you're dinging his athleticism because he made the smart decision rather than the athletic one. One example of that came against Ohio State where he started to take off to run for a first down, but instead stopped and flipped a short pass to Jaylen Waddle for a first down. Could he have run for that first down himself? Possibly, but even were he a DeShaun Watson level of athlete at the QB position, he's not the athlete that Jaylen Waddle is, and Waddle outrunning the LB is a much surer bet.

Where we certainly agree is his ability to throw accurately with anticipation and place balls where only his receiver can catch them. Any tape of Mac Jones you put on will have at least 5 throws where Jones releases the football at the exact moment the DB turns to run with the WR, and most of them will go for a big play. Perhaps my favorite throw of his all year had this in spades and looked like something an NFL veteran would do. Again, it was against Ohio State, Alabama had the ball at about the 40 yard line and Ohio State lined up in an obvious Cover 3 shell. Devonta Smith lined up in the slot and ran a deep cross from the left hash to the right corner of the endzone. At the snap, Jones immediately turns his head left, which draws the single high safety who was shading to the offense's right hash to drift to the left, which left Tuf Borland, a LB, on an island against Devonta Smith. The instant Jones looks to Smith he sees the matchup he wants and throws a rainbow to Smith in stride for an easy 6 untouched, ball travels 35-40 air yards. I'll grant you that Devonta Smith is a special player, but I love that play so much for Mac Jones because it's how you win in the NFL. A QB that can manipulate a defense with his eyes to create a 1 on 1 matchup between a LB and a slot WR in the NFL is elite, and creating matchups like LB covering slot WR is how offenses win on Sundays.
He’s not a dual threat QB dude. He is a pocket passing QB. Can he scramble for a first down? Sure. If he going to scare a team with his legs? No. And I said he was shorter than Reich seems to like. Not that he was too short for the position. Don’t need 20 posts back and forth about it. If you want to see his actual athletiscm we can wait for the combine or his pro day. He looks lead footed to me. Occasional bootleg, but he won’t break a defense down with his legs. He really tries to stay in the pocket. And I don’t see him buying a lot of throw time with his legs by leaving it.

His quick decision making, accuracy, and ability to hit his guys in stride is what I do like. If you protect him I think he can pick apart a D. I think his floor is a solid backup QB. He does run RPOs well which I think Reich will take notice of. I think he might be a safer bet than Justin Fields who has great ability but also takes way to long to throw at times.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 01-20-2021 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:11 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
And Mac Jones is a better option?
I have no idea if Ballard believes Mac Jones is a better option. Perhaps you should get in touch with Ballard to find out and you can argue with him about why you think Eason should be starting. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:57 AM

Thanked 4,373 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
You sound like my wife.
The UPS guy said the same thing about her.