ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-10-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
With our first pick already traded. trading the second would have left us with very little draft capital, and Taylor would not be a Colt.

True on both counts. But the first is also going to be true if they ever trade up regardless of the year. The second sucks but a QB is simply more valuable.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
I think the rest totally matters. Alternate theory is to use your resources to build a solid foundation as you are looking for your QB. As was mentioned in another post, the last two teams the bucs beat had line issues and their QBs were essentially a non factor. Both those QBs are considered two of the best in the league currently.

I liked the thought of stafford but not at the price he went for. Not excited about wentz or darnold unless we could get them on the cheap. If ballard doesnt use our #1 or move up for who he thinks will be a longterm QB solution this year then draft a LT or DE difference maker and roll with eason or a journeyman for a year. I dont want to see a piecemeal approach to the QB either but dumping a ton of resources into the wrong guy is not a good solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I say it doesn’t matter I only mean that chances are slim that they’ll win a SB if they don’t find a franchise QB regardless of how strong the rest of the roster is. I definitely agree that a strong roster helps a QB. I’m not disputing that at all.

The options suck, Ballard has basically said that himself. I’m fine pushing it another year if he doesn’t like the current options. Same as I said last year. But I’d like to see a plan beyond seeing what happens. Like where I previously suggested pushing draft capital in to the next year.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:47 PM

Thanked 1,570 Times in 892 Posts

Just going to throw my own worthless opinion in here.

I acknowledge the importance of having a franchise QB to the success of the team, but I got so sick and tired of Peyton having to cover for an average to below average O-line (sorry, but truth), a crappy run defense, and for the most part, a below average secondary that I'm happy to see the team go the other route for several years and build an incredibly strong, and hopefully deep, team in all the other areas while they tinker, and hope, and use their strong scouting team to find a good to great QB to maybe do only slightly better than game manage.

Probably not the way to a Super Bowl win, but you never know. Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, and Joe Flacco have all won in the last few decades, so it's not impossible. And yeah, they all had incredible defenses, but that's my point. There is another route.

And Peyton was an all-timer, one of the five best, if not the best, ever. And he won one ring in Indy. What are the odds that we get anyone even close to as good as he was? And if we do, at what cost to the rest of the roster?

So, yeah, I'm on the Sam Darnold, or Carson Wentz, or Ryan Fitzpatrick, or even, if necessary, Jameis Winston bandwagon. Use that first rounder to grab the best OT or DE available. Shore up the back end of the defense with some more solid draft picks (the track record shows we can depend on at least two or three new starters from this draft). Roll with the average guy who they might be able to coach up.

I think even with QB being the "most important position in sports", there are other routes to the top.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheMugwump For This Useful Post:
apballin (02-11-2021), Ironshaft (02-11-2021), Oldcolt (02-11-2021), Racehorse (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 07:30 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Also interesting to me Ballard said he values the players opinion, so if they had their choice wonder who they would tell Ballard to go after? Or do they still believe in Jacoby?
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Also interesting to me Ballard said he values the players opinion, so if they had their choice wonder who they would tell Ballard to go after? Or do they still believe in Jacoby?
Assuming they don't get Wentz or one of the other top QB's.... If they can get JB on a contract like Washington got Heinicke on at 8.75 for 2 years or even 10 for two would be a no brainer to me Sign him and get the BPA in the draft at 21 hopefully a defensive player IMO since I don't see any of the worthy QB's falling to 21 range. In FA go after pass rush and corner. AJ Bouye and Richard Sherman are both available to go alongside Rhodes

Unless of course they do not see anything in Eason that tells them he is more than a backup.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Assuming they don't get Wentz or one of the other top QB's.... If they can get JB on a contract like Washington got Heinicke on at 8.75 for 2 years or even 10 for two would be a no brainer to me Sign him and get the BPA in the draft at 21 hopefully a defensive player IMO since I don't see any of the worthy QB's falling to 21 range. In FA go after pass rush and corner. AJ Bouye and Richard Sherman are both available to go alongside Rhodes

Unless of course they do not see anything in Eason that tells them he is more than a backup.
IMHO if Brissett is the QB next year, the Colts would be taking 2 giant steps backwards.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
IMHO if Brissett is the QB next year, the Colts would be taking 2 giant steps backwards.
Not saying as the starter, saying that they feel comfortable with Eason. JB may start the season and turn over to Eason
Old 02-11-2021, 10:15 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I think TheMugwump is channeling Ballard. This is essentially what he has been preaching, you need a good QB, not a great one, if you want to win the Super Bowl. I don't think Jacoby is a good QB over a year. For a game or two, yes-but over a year he gets to exposed.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:27 AM

I am also on the "average" QB train for the Colts in 2021.

I don't want us to trade away draft capital on players whom leadership does not believe has superstar potential (i.e. Buckner).

Ballard and staff are just too good at identifying players who become cornerstones of the franchise with those quality 1st/2nd/3rd/4th round picks. Those draft choices are just too valuable to not be in Ballard's hands.

So, IMO, I would rather use our quality draft picks to strengthen the team at almost any position besides: RB, Safety, Interior D-Line, Interior O-Line and special teams.

Then, I would rather use "big" free agency money to retain our studs (Xavier Rhodes, Anthony Walker, Autry/Muhammad most important IMO) and invest in positions with new veteran free agents like:

LT (Williams, Okung, Villanueva)
WR (Hilton, Robinson, Watkins, Perriman)
DE (Leonard Williams, Clowney, Ngakoue, Griffen, Houston, Okaor)
CB (Patrick Peterson, Mike Hilton, Michael Davis, Troy Hill)

Then, our QB would probably end up being one of: Trubisky, Fitzpatrick, Dalton or Newton none of whom will be big money (probably each for $10m or less per year for 2 years).

The only exception that I would make to trading away a draft pick or two for a QB would be if the Raiders make Derek Carr available. I would not overpay for him but he is a guy whom i think would come much, much cheaper than Stafford or Watson but can propel a team to the Superbowl with sane coaching and team leadership around him (which the Raiders do not have).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (02-11-2021), Racehorse (02-12-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 04:50 PM

I think guys often overlook the amount of turnover on NFL rosters. Here is a part of a post I made on a discussion on roster building a year or two ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
You mentioned starters so let’s look at depth charts. There are 2 players listed as starters for the Colts in 2015 that were listed as starters in 2019 (only considering the 22 players on O and D, no special teams). Those two are Castonzo and TY. Ok, well the Colts struggled during that period and had a GM change over so roster turnover is to be expected. So let’s look at 3 of the consistent winners over that time period. NE has 3, Steelers have 4, and Greenbay has 4. 3 of the most consistent winning teams in the league have only maintained 17% of their starters from 2015 to 2019. I can look at others if you want or shorten the time period (I used that span because it matches the 2018 to 2022 span I mentioned previously), but however you cut it the only consistent thing in the NFL is change.
This can be an argument for why a rookie QB doesn’t make sense as well I suppose. But to me it just highlights how fleeting the build an “entire roster” idea some are suggesting is. It simply can not stay together in the modern NFL. The only consistent way to win big is with a top level QB. To find one you usually have to either be bad, willing to pay (draft picks), or ridiculously lucky. We know Ballard doesn’t plan on the first one. I’m hoping they aren’t going with the last option. Would be a shame to waste a lot of the talent he has accumulated.