ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-29-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
As well as Luck is playing right now, he can be a lot better. He still seems to lock in on a receiver and regardless of whether he's open or not, instead of going through his progressions, he forces the throw. The deflection caught by Inman is a prime example. It could be that he still reacts to having little or no time, given the OLs history of being porous, so I'm hoping he starts to feel confident in going through his progressions in the future.
He did the same thing on a 3rd down play to Hilton today. Was looking his way the whole time, obvious he was making that throw and it had no chance.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
As well as Luck is playing right now, he can be a lot better. He still seems to lock in on a receiver and regardless of whether he's open or not, instead of going through his progressions, he forces the throw. The deflection caught by Inman is a prime example. It could be that he still reacts to having little or no time, given the OLs history of being porous, so I'm hoping he starts to feel confident in going through his progressions in the future.
Agreed. And I’m confident it will come. He’s already protecting his body more and checking the ball down way more often (helped by play designs that give him a safety outlet). I think the OL play will definitely help, but I think a bigger part will be getting confidence in the other pass catchers. The main two targets I’ve seen him lock into have been TY and Doyle - historically his two most reliable options. And it often seems to happen on 3rd down where it’s a “need it” type play. Hopefully the team is mostly through their drop issues. Things like the Mo Alie-Cox TD catch and a couple of the Inman catches will go along way to solving the issue IMO.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Agreed. And I’m confident it will come. He’s already protecting his body more and checking the ball down way more often (helped by play designs that give him a safety outlet). I think the OL play will definitely help, but I think a bigger part will be getting confidence in the other pass catchers. The main two targets I’ve seen him lock into have been TY and Doyle - historically his two most reliable options. And it often seems to happen on 3rd down where it’s a “need it” type play. Hopefully the team is mostly through their drop issues. Things like the Mo Alie-Cox TD catch and a couple of the Inman catches will go along way to solving the issue IMO.
Agree this is still a development area....but I think he's well on his way to adjusting now that he is having some time. That TD catch was designed for Jack Doyle. He was covered up and Luck went to a 2nd target for a TD.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1965southpaw For This Useful Post:
rm1369 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 06:22 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

I saw several checkdowns yesterday
Old 11-20-2018, 02:35 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post

It's truly remarkable when you consider:

This would be his second 40 TD season of his career, despite his injury struggles

He had not played in over a year before the season and many were debating if he could even play again last year

The people he has been throwing to this year have been TY Hilton part of the time, a decent TE red zone target in Eric Ebron and then a whole bunch of guys most have never really heard before this year.

There was virtually no run game the first 2/3 of the season

Its a new offensive system with a rookie head coach calling plays

OL has come together lately but was a mess to start the season with injuries

No need to mention the drops so far this year

Contrast that to when manning threw 49 TDs (would have been more) :

Basically three other HOFers on the offense in Wayne, Harrison and Edge, plus had a great 3rd WR in Stokely and a great TE in Dallas Clark. I don't think there is any comparison between the skill position players

Those guys rarely dropped passes

The offensive system had been in place for man years and Manning was perfecting it at the time

He had a center in Saturday and a left tackle in Tarik Glenn that were veterans and he had worked with for years.

The run game had Edge, as mentioned was really solid at the time, play action was huge for that Colts team.

Manning was still healthy, had never had any serious injuries, at least to his arm/neck at the time (I believe he had the jaw injury early on he played threw)

Dungy had already been in place for 3 or 4 years at the time.

To that point in his career Manning had never thrown more than 33 TDs in a season. In fact that was his only 30+ TD season up to that time.

Now Manning had an amazing 9.9% TD pct throwing rate that year and Luck is only at 6.4% this year, but its still amazing what he has done.

o

(2 GAMES LATER)

Luck threw 6 TD's and 1 INT in his last 2 games combined ........ hence, he is still on pace for 46 (or 47) TD's for the season.

Luck (and the Colts) were doing so well in their most recent game that Jacoby Brissett came in to go through the motions of finishing up the contest, with the team being up by a score of 38-3.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 11-20-2018, 02:44 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Manning had better talent. But the league has changed. This is only the beginning of an offensive era. All these records are going to get blown out of the water as more teams embrace the offensive explosion. The game last night is only the beginning. We are going to see more 40-50 point games. Defenses will become almost dime based.

If Manning was starting today with that team he would throw 70 TDs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (11-20-2018), DrSpaceman (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Manning had better talent. But the league has changed. This is only the beginning of an offensive era. All these records are going to get blown out of the water as more teams embrace the offensive explosion. The game last night is only the beginning. We are going to see more 40-50 point games. Defenses will become almost dime based.

Very true.

Looking back at Manning's TD totals for his early career, they seem pedestrian now.

AT the time they were top of the league, on a faster pace than almost all QBs in history.

Between 2000-2010, manning threw for 40000 yards and over 300 TDs, I don't recall the exact numbers, but at the time it was basically the best decade ever by a QB in terms of those numbers. I remember looking it all up at the time and posting on it.

Now those would be good but not by any means spectacular numbers. I think Brees probably threw for 50000 yards, or close to it, over the past decade.

And really much of that was because of manning. I know the Bills did the hurry up in the early 90s, but Manning and what he did really changed the league and caused many teams to adopt the hurry up system as we see it commonly today. Even the Pats. Brady never did that shit before 2007 while they were winning their first three SBs. Manning had been doing it for years before the adopted the system
Old 11-20-2018, 03:34 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Very true.

Looking back at Manning's TD totals for his early career, they seem pedestrian now.

AT the time they were top of the league, on a faster pace than almost all QBs in history.

Between 2000-2010, manning threw for 40000 yards and over 300 TDs, I don't recall the exact numbers, but at the time it was basically the best decade ever by a QB in terms of those numbers. I remember looking it all up at the time and posting on it.

Now those would be good but not by any means spectacular numbers. I think Brees probably threw for 50000 yards, or close to it, over the past decade.

And really much of that was because of manning. I know the Bills did the hurry up in the early 90s, but Manning and what he did really changed the league and caused many teams to adopt the hurry up system as we see it commonly today. Even the Pats. Brady never did that shit before 2007 while they were winning their first three SBs. Manning had been doing it for years before the adopted the system
It was caused by Manning, but not in the way you're suggesting. Polian convinced the league that the offensive product was a better way to attract fans, pointing to the Colts as an example. That led to rule changes that hurt the ability to defend the pass. Then, having a healthy QB became the next point of emphasis, so the league adopted a lot of other rules to limit dangerous hits on QBs.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:36 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post

Manning threw 56 with the current slate of rules and a damn good set of receivers. Maybe he hits 60 with Marvin and Reggie, but 70 is right out.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:18 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Very true.

One thing I don’t think people realize is all these QBs coming in are being groomed by the Mannings. They are all attending their QB camp at a young age, and then counseling at the camp once they’re in college. The Mannings are very hands on in the camps. I think that is why we are seeing these young guys adjust faster, better foot work, going through progressions, proper throwing motion. Peyton is out of the league but still having a large effect on it.