ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-18-2018, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Right. At least be honest about the reasons I am an idiot.
Inbreeding perhaps ? Just a theory ...
Racehorse (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:11 AM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
That’s funny. For me, it’s the lack of transparency that bugs me about PFF, as well as the presentation of their grades in decimalized format (as if it’s the product of some sophisticated mathematical analysis).

Obviously, there’s nothing wrong with expressing an opinion about a player’s skills and assigning rankings based upon those opinions. We read those types of analyses all the time and decide whether we agree or disagree based upon the information used to support the opinion and our belief about the author’s knowledge and experience.

But I feel like PFF is pretty deceptive in this way. Their rankings are really no different from any other subjective opinion, but unlike most opinions they don’t let you know who is doing the rankings, or how the rankings are achieved. It’s just a giant black box which spits out a numerical grade (always with that extra decimal to trick you into thinking its more objective than it is). So essentially you have no reliable way of judging the merits of their analysis, other than to simply compare it with what you see yourself. But then why do I need PFF? Why would I ever be convinced by anything PFF says if they don't tell me why they are saying it? It’s just a marketing gimmick.
Exactly. Smart man.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Someone posted on Twitter that PFF gave Darius Leonard a 49 rating for this week's game. If so, that pretty much says it all about PFF. What did Vander Esch get?
I heard several of the national analysts yesterday proclaim Leonard as the top candidate for drpoy , including Willie McCheater. His profile is on the rise!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1965southpaw For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-18-2018)