ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-13-2024, 09:11 AM

Thanked 1,901 Times in 927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I don't know, I don't buy it. They guys seem to like Sparano, which is great.

But Chris Strausser wasn't just the O-Line coach for the '22 disaster. He was also there for '19, '20, and '21 when the Colts had one of the best O-Lines in the league (like they do again now).

'22 was just a freak fucking year top to bottom. Our vets had injuries and personal issues and young guys, who are now solid starters, were thrown to the wolves and took their inevitable lumps.

I'm not saying Sparano isn't an improvement, but I don't think '22 should be scapegoated to Strausser as if it defined his tenure. A lot of guys tried to make it out as if '22 defined this same OL unit, too. Clearly, it doesn't.
Ehhh, that’s a good point. I guess it helps having a quarterback who can actually move.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post

Ehhh, that’s a good point. I guess it helps having a quarterback who can actually move.

o

A mobile quarterback helps a lot ....... but since the retirement of Andrew Luck, the Colts' best season was when they went 11-5 in 2020 with one of the least mobile quarterbacks in recent history (a 39 year-old Philip Rivers.) The Colts had a great offensive line that year.

If Philip Rivers had had the offensive line that was "protecting" Matt Ryan in 2022, the team wouldn't have won 5 games that year.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 01-13-2024, 01:16 PM

Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

A mobile quarterback helps a lot ....... but since the retirement of Andrew Luck, the Colts' best season was when they went 11-5 in 2020 with one of the least mobile quarterbacks in recent history (a 39 year-old Philip Rivers.) The Colts had a great offensive line that year.

If Philip Rivers had had the offensive line that was "protecting" Matt Ryan in 2022, the team wouldn't have won 5 games that year.

o
Rivers was a master at deciphering defenses. Ryan appeared to suck at it.
Spike (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 01:29 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post

Rivers was a master at deciphering defenses. Ryan appeared to suck at it.

o

Rivers would have sucked at it if he had had Ryan's 2022 line blocking for him ...... in fact, he would have sucked at everything if he had had that line blocking for him.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 01:51 PM

Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

Rivers would have sucked at it if he had had Ryan's 2022 line blocking for him ...... in fact, he would have sucked at everything if he had had that line blocking for him.

o
Usually, I agree with you on here. However, Ryan was not able to call out the protections like Rivers could. Atlanta fans had the same argument we had. One faction said the line sucked, and got Ryan sacked. The other said Ryan made them worse because he could not call the protections. We will have to just agree to disagree on this one.
Old 01-13-2024, 05:04 PM

Thanked 1,325 Times in 749 Posts

Couple of comments:

While Ryan definitely made a really bad situation w/ the OL worse, it was still a really bad situation. Rivers would have done better w/ the '22 OL than Ryan did IMO, but I don't think well enough to get us anywhere near the playoffs.

IMO the biggest source of improvement was Raimann locking down the LT spot. This allowed Q to not have to babysit the guy to his left, which helped Kelly out, and so on.

And I'm glad to admit that I was wrong about the OL. I thought only bringing in a rookie swing OT (Freeland) and no one to compete w/ Fries or at least more IOL depth in the offseason was a huge mistake. Glad it I was wrong on that!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (01-16-2024), Racehorse (01-13-2024)