ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-10-2021, 01:14 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Fan-fucking-tastic! Hope he gets on field quickly without rushing the rehab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2021, 01:18 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Fuck yes!!
Old 05-10-2021, 02:30 PM

At $9.4M, Fisher is being paid roughly $6.5 million less than Castonzo was scheduled to be paid. Fisher is also a few years younger than Castonzo, but obviously coming off a major injury. So the discount on a formerly solid LT is pretty steep, suggesting that the team/player are acknowledging a significant amount of risk regarding recovery and/or timing.

On the other hand, we apparently chose Fisher over Leno, who is healthy, apparently favored the Colts, and also has strong ties to the Colts organization. So unless Leno was making exorbitant contract demands, this suggests to me a fair amount of confidence that Fisher will return close to his former self.

I’ll add that when the final contract details come out, it would be nice if there’s a team option for a year or two attached, but its probably unlikely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Brylok (05-10-2021), Ironshaft (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 02:33 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,661 Times in 2,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
At $9.4M, Fisher is being paid roughly $6.5 million less than Castonzo was scheduled to be paid. Fisher is also a few years younger than Castonzo, but obviously coming off a major injury. So the discount on a formerly solid LT is pretty steep, suggesting that the team/player are acknowledging a significant amount of risk regarding recovery and/or timing.

On the other hand, we apparently chose Fisher over Leno, who is healthy, apparently favored the Colts, and also has strong ties to the Colts organization. So unless Leno was making exorbitant contract demands, this suggests to me a fair amount of confidence that Fisher will return close to his former self.

I’ll add that when the final contract details come out, it would be nice if there’s a team option for a year or two attached, but its probably unlikely.
I doubt he would do that. There is always a demand for LTs. He will want to go into next offseason a FA. Fisher was tied for 16th best OT in the league last year. That is similar to what Castonzo was before Nelson. I expect that to rise some with Nelson next to him. Maybe say 12th. That’s serviceable with this line.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:11 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

So Ballard stays true to his draft board and hopefully fixes our defensive line in the draft. Then because he doesn’t overspend in free agency, pissing off a ton of freaks, he has plenty of money to address our last major issue LT. I appears that there is enough to extend Leonard/Smith. On top of that word is that we were Leno’s preferred team, a tribute to the whole organization and Ballards development is the locker room that anyone with a choice of NFL cities wants to live in Indianapolis. Now I’m hoping Tevi plays so well Fisher ends up being the best backup in football.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Chaka (05-10-2021), Racehorse (05-10-2021), YDFL Commish (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I doubt he would do that. There is always a demand for LTs. He will want to go into next offseason a FA. Fisher was tied for 16th best OT in the league last year. That is similar to what Castonzo was before Nelson. I expect that to rise some with Nelson next to him. Maybe say 12th. That’s serviceable with this line.
Agreed, probably unlikely. I guess it also depends on the exercise price of the option - an option at $15M or even 18M for 2022 would be easier to extract than a $9.4M option obviously. And its a good point that if he's healthy, Fisher is likely to look better merely due to the fact that he's playing on the Colts OL.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:02 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

I'm good with this. Former #1 overall pick, multiple time Pro Bowler, only 30 years old, and able to get him well under market because he suffered an injury last January that he should be back from near the start of the season. Plus this gives the Colts franchise rights at the end of 2021 should he perform well. I like everything about this, and although I still wish the Colts had Jenkins for the future, I'm now happy with the offseason overall.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
apballin (05-10-2021), Brylok (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 04:17 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
So Ballard stays true to his draft board and hopefully fixes our defensive line in the draft. Then because he doesn’t overspend in free agency, pissing off a ton of freaks, he has plenty of money to address our last major issue LT. I appears that there is enough to extend Leonard/Smith. On top of that word is that we were Leno’s preferred team, a tribute to the whole organization and Ballards development is the locker room that anyone with a choice of NFL cities wants to live in Indianapolis. Now I’m hoping Tevi plays so well Fisher ends up being the best backup in football.
Our dline is fixed? That was fast.

If Ballard stayed true to his draft board then he would have known a month ago he wasn’t going to take a tackle that would compete for the starting position. Therefore he could have had his choice at the beginning of free agency. Assuming he wasn’t going to sign Trent Williams, all other options would have been cheaper per year than Fisher and they would be healthy at the beginning of the year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/left-tackle/

What I bet really happened, Ballard wanted to see how the draft panned out. All the tackles went between our first and second round. We are then forced to go to free agency. We overspend a little for a partial season from an injured player. I suspect Fisher was the cheaper option between he and Leno. But when completely healthy I think Fisher is slightly the better player.

Signing a LT was never going to threaten the upcoming contracts, we will have 100 million again next year.

And please find me the Colt fans who want him to overspend in free agency, I’ll wait.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (05-10-2021), rcubed (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 04:17 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Well, that weight has been lifted and I'm now happy with the draft and everything else so far. A one year deal seems weird for a LT contract, but like everyone else has said, it's because of the injury and I just hope he's ready to go. Push that LT need to next year, maybe re-sign him (who knows), and just focus on winning the division this year. I feel relieved.
apballin (05-10-2021), Chromeburn (05-10-2021), Ironshaft (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 04:27 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Agreed, probably unlikely. I guess it also depends on the exercise price of the option - an option at $15M or even 18M for 2022 would be easier to extract than a $9.4M option obviously. And its a good point that if he's healthy, Fisher is likely to look better merely due to the fact that he's playing on the Colts OL.
Both sides probably like the one year. It’s popular around the league until the cap goes back to normal. Contracts should go back up then and there will be more spending. We can try him out and see if he fits. If we like him we may have the inside track. If he has a really good year there might be some demand for his services. Gives us another chance at filling the position through the draft.