ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Who do you want at 15?
Quinyon Mitchell 6 26.09%
Laiatu Latu 1 4.35%
Jared Verse 1 4.35%
Dallas Turner 2 8.70%
Terrion Arnold 2 8.70%
Brian Thomas Jr. 2 8.70%
Adonai Mitchell 0 0%
Trade Up (Include for whom in a post) 1 4.35%
Trade Down (Include explanation in a post) 5 21.74%
Other (Include explanation in a post) 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2024, 07:23 PM

Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
After listening to the Ballard press conference I definitely think they are going pass catcher first. If Bowers is there I think they take him. If any of the top three WRs drop I see them moving up a few spots if they get close. If not… I see them trading back a little to get picks and taking BTj or Worthy. Some oline in the middle rounds and probably throw a DE in there maybe the second. A athletic CB in later rounds also.
If we don't come away with a CB in the first two rounds, I will be highly disappointed.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-21-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 07:31 PM

Thanked 1,336 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Ballard has traded up in the past so it is possible. Not likely, but possible.

But I think the Colts draft board will have to reflect that the targeted prospect is worth going up and getting.
Never say never, but it's extremely unlikely. In his 7 drafts w/ the Colts Ballard has moved up 4 times. 2 of them where he had to give up minimal draft capital to move up 3 spots in/into the 2nd round (JT and Lewis trades), and 2 more where mid round picks were involved (Willis and Cross). For good or for bad I really doubt Ballard will ever give up the draft capital it takes to move up in the 1st round.

Quote:
So, a different take on the earlier trade proposal with the Jets:

Jets trade:

Colts trade:

2025 3rd Round Pick

So the Colts will keep their mid-2nd Round Pick this year and not trade it to the Jets....only to then trade down from there and swap it for a late 2nd Round Pick and late 3rd Round Pick.

So, in the end, the Colts will move up a little in the first round but move back 10 - 15 spots each in Round 2 and Round 3. (and worry about recouping the 2025 3rd Round pick next year)
Worth it IMO if we can get one of the elite WRs or if it looks like Bowers will be gone by the time we draft.

Quote:
If we take a receiver in the 1st or 2nd round alongside Pittman, Downs, Pierce and Dulin, do we really need to draft a 6th guy? In the 7th round maybe, but what are the chances of that guy actually turning into anything? Personally i would far rather take a flyer on an offensive lineman where you are keeping 9 or 10 guys and they will make a difference.
Yeah, if we take a WR in the 1st or 2nd then mentioned 2nd WR would have to be a later round pick. Remember Dulin is coming off an ACL tear so could very well start the season on the PUP. Also, since Dulin is such a good STer it doesn't kill us to keep 6 WRs, especially if said late round draftee can play STs as well. With that being said if the BPAs on day 3 are all at other positions then we should be all means draft them.

Last edited by IndyNorm; 04-20-2024 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:50 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,656 Times in 958 Posts

Pre-draft press conference seems to indicate they want to trade down.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
If we don't come away with a CB in the first two rounds, I will be highly disappointed.
It appears to be a plentiful year for both CB and WR. Given that in a typical year, CB is the 3rd most selected position and WR is the 5th, I'm hoping they go CB first round and WR in the second. The adage "best player available" should actually be "best player available in a needed position".
Racehorse (04-21-2024), YDFL Commish (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 02:34 PM

Thanked 1,336 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Pre-draft press conference seems to indicate they want to trade down.
Even without Ballard's comments it's a pretty good assumption. Trading down is fine I guess as long as Bowers is drafted before us and we still get (preferably) BTJ or someone like Latu, or one of the top CBs. What I really don't want to see us do is trade down multiple times and end up drafting a bunch of good, but not great guys. We have plenty of good players on the roster already. What we need are true difference makers.

Quote:
I wouldn't hold my breath. Ballard's comments on our CB group are very similar to what he said about the OL last year. To give him credit, he was right about the OL.

Quote:
The adage "best player available" should actually be "best player available in a needed position".
In the early rounds I mostly agree and Ballard seems to follow this which is why we trade down so often. For day 3 picks though I think you should just go w/ the BPA; at least for rounds 5-7. Those are such a crap shoot anyway that you really shouldn't handcuff yourself.

Last edited by IndyNorm; 04-21-2024 at 02:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-21-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 01:16 AM

Thanked 1,662 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
After listening to the Ballard press conference I definitely think they are going pass catcher first. If Bowers is there I think they take him. If any of the top three WRs drop I see them moving up a few spots if they get close. If not… I see them trading back a little to get picks and taking BTj or Worthy. Some oline in the middle rounds and probably throw a DE in there maybe the second. A athletic CB in later rounds also.
Interesting. I finished listening to it earlier and I came away feeling less confident they'd go for a WR at #15/trade up. I think Bowers would be undeniable if he somehow falls to us. But besides that, he said a few things...

A.) He mentioned WR and OL specifically as having great depth in this class - suggests to me that he can land a solid WR + pick(s) with a trade-back.

B.) He said it wasn't a "weak" defensive class, but it's heavy offense, and they have 19-21 1st round grades - suggests to me that spending the #15 overall on a top-3 defender (according to their board) would be a priority over a top-5 WR.

C.) As he's done before, he emphasized that protection over skill positions (that whole thing about Andrew Luck being able to get the ball to anybody, he just needs to not die) - suggests he still doesn't feel pressed to reach on a WR.

I do like the idea of Brian Thomas... I'm not sure I like it better than Cooper DeJean/Quinyon Mitchell unless it's slight trade-back where we could still snag him + a pick.

Last edited by ChaosTheory; 04-22-2024 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:12 PM

I refrained from actually voting until now.

I still want to see them trade up. It doesn't have to be Harrison, but if one of these playmakers is on the board - I want them.

It's not a hill I'll die on. If they choose to trade down, so be it. I just want a difference maker out of this draft, desperately. I don't care what position.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Session For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (04-22-2024), YDFL Commish (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 02:07 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
In the second I think Max Melton and TJ Tampa are the only two guys. Maybe Cam Hart depending how far he has risen. After that it’s later round guy that fit their model.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:47 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,656 Times in 958 Posts

Quote:
In the second I think Max Melton and TJ Tampa are the only two guys. Maybe Cam Hart depending how far he has risen. After that it’s later round guy that fit their model.
That's why the Quinyon Mitchell/R2 WR (My personal choice is Ricky Pearsall) combo is, in my opinion, the best option unless they're going to trade up for someone like Rome Odunze if he falls to 8 or 9 overall. The drop from BTJ to Pearsall is not that much in my opinion, whereas the drop from Mitchell to Tampa or Melton is a cliff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Session (04-24-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 03:13 PM

Thanked 1,662 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
That's why the Quinyon Mitchell/R2 WR (My personal choice is Ricky Pearsall) combo is, in my opinion, the best option unless they're going to trade up for someone like Rome Odunze if he falls to 8 or 9 overall. The drop from BTJ to Pearsall is not that much in my opinion, whereas the drop from Mitchell to Tampa or Melton is a cliff.
That's what I'm thinking. Bowers > Top CB > Trade Down WR + Pick.

I'm curious what you guys think about DeJean. Mitchell just jumps out like a perfect fit for us and I'd be super excited with him. He's like classic top-shelf CB.

But I've also been watching/reading more of DeJean lately... I was under the impression he was an iffy prospect because I had read people suggesting he move to safety.

No way. Looks like they played off a lot at Iowa (like Bradley will call), and he looks to have some tremendous instinct/savvy. He has really good ball skills and is a really good return man (new kickoff rules). He also looks like the best tackling DB.

Athletically, he's a stud. He doesn't have the top-end speed of Mitchell (4.33), but coming off a broken leg he posted a 4.43. And every other test was virtually equal, if not better, than Mitchell's.

I'm not saying I'd necessarily take him over Mitchell, but he's extremely intriguing to me.