ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-10-2023, 07:59 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Colts' DT DeForest Buckner scores a surprise TD because Zaire Franklin was an (explet

Colts' DT DeForest Buckner scores a surprise TD because Zaire Franklin was an (expletive)

Quote:

INDIANAPOLIS -- The play Indianapolis Colts defensive tackle DeForest Buckner called the craziest he's ever been a part of started because linebacker Zaire Franklin felt like being an "(expletive)" and knocking the ball out of Jaguar running back Tank Bigsby's hands.

On first and 20 with 2:41 left in the third quarter of Sunday's season opener, Buckner came around the left side of the Jags offensive line and blasted quarterback Trevor Lawrence. The ball flew out of Lawrence's hands and bounced to Bigsby, but the referees never blew their whistles even though all 22 players on the field appeared to believe the play was over.

With both teams standing around, Franklin punched the ball out of Bigsby's hands and it bounced to Buckner. Buckner scooped up the ball and raced toward the end zone, stiff arming Jags offensive tackle Anton Harrison at the 2-yard line and using every inch of his 6-7 frame to stretch the ball over the goal line for the 26-yard touchdown, the second of his career.

Indianapolis Colts defensive tackle DeForest Buckner (99) celebrates after scoring a touchdown Sunday, Sept. 10, 2023, during a game against the Jacksonville Jaguars at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

"To be honest, I really was trying to be an (expletive)," Franklin said. "I punched the ball out and then it ended up being a fumble, so I guess it all worked out the right way.

"I tell Buck he's the most athletic 6-7 guy I've ever met in my life, and probably ever will to this day. So that was a hell of a play."

The play goes into the box score as a 26-yard touchdown, but it started with a Buckner sack and forced fumble after it was determined Lawrence's arm wasn't going forward, a Franklin forced fumble and a Buckner fumble recovery. The touchdown was Buckner's first since a 12-yard scoop-and-score on Monday Night Football in 2019 as a member of the San Francisco 49ers against the Seattle Seahawks. Buckner said he thought the play was an incomplete pass. Once Franklin made a play on the ball, instincts took over and he made a break to the end zone.

"It's just the mentality," Buckner said of forcing turnovers. "Yeah (Franklin) was being a jerk, but I guarantee you it's just a natural reaction for him. It's a practice habit. That's what he does in practice, he punches at the ball.

"The habits that we do in practice and that we do every day are just second nature, and we actually benefited from them."

With second-round pick and Indianapolis native JuJu Brents inactive for the season opener, the Colts thin secondary needed all the big plays it could get from its front seven. Franklin led the way with a game-high 18 tackles. Shaquille Leonard returned to the lineup after missing 14 games last season due to injury and made eight tackles. Buckner finished third with seven tackles.

“It was awesome just to see those guys," Colts coach Shane Steichen said. "We always preach get on all loose balls, and that looked like a sack, whatever, or maybe an incomplete pass. But Zaire (Franklin) really made that thing go, to get up and get the punch out and then Buck could go and score there, so it was good to see that.”

Old 09-10-2023, 08:03 PM

Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,174 Posts

He has become a stud, such a heads up play.