ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-14-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I don't know. Maybe I'm the weird one, but...

Let's look at 1999-2015 (from Manning to Luck falling apart). I much prefer that I was a Colts fan as opposed to a Giants fan. We went to two Super Bowls and won one. They went to three Super Bowls and won two.

But... the Giants also missed the playoffs 10 seasons in that span. Seven losing seasons, two more 8-8 seasons. Reached double-digit wins 6 times. That's a lot of time wallowing in irrelevancy. We've had 4 of those seasons since 2015 (arguably 5) and they're awful seasons to sit through.

In contrast, I had a blast watching the Colts basically every season during that span aside from 2001 when both Edge's knee and Mora's brain blew out and then in 2011 when Manning's head got too heavy. Aside from those seasons, the Colts we're among the elite teams year in and year out.

Again, maybe I'm the weird one.
I love the Colts, but trading the heartbreak of the Steelers loss and all the one and dones for beating the Pats in two SBs - including ruining their perfect season? Hell yeah, I’d take that trade!!

Honestly, maybe I just become too invested when I believe. The Manning led teams always made me believe, so the losses were much harder. I never trusted the team this year. Hell you could say I didn’t even really like them as a team. So the loss to the Jags was more disgusting than it was gutting like the Steelers loss or the Saints SB loss. I’m ok with ups and downs. I enjoy watching a team build, but I’ve found I hate believing and then having the same old issue destroy my dreams.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (01-14-2022), njcoltfan (01-16-2022), rcubed (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 08:06 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Let me be clear - my point isn’t to criticize what Ballard has done at QB. Lucks retirement screwed him. My point is only that in my view, his method has shown that, even with a dominant QB, not risking the long term for a better short term peak hasn’t been extremely successful. So how is it going to work on a team that likely won’t have that level of QB? It won’t, IMO.

To answer the question though, my position has been that they identify who their guy is and go get him. No BS half measures of mediocre guys while they look. Pay the price for who you want. Two off-seasons ago I suggested trading one or both of their seconds for future firsts to help build ammo for a trade up last draft. That means either no Pittman, no Taylor, or both. Steep price, no doubt. This off-season I said I’d have traded for Darnold - cheaper and less injury prone. Almost certainly a bust here as well though.

I won’t pretend I have a sure fire answer, although in hindsight I like either of my two solutions better than theirs. But again, I’m not criticizing Ballard for Wentz being QB. They did what I suggested - went and got their guy. I’m criticizing him for the rest of the roster building. The one that had a pass rush with no one with double digit sacks for their career. The one that is leaving a huge hole at LT even though we’ve seen the issue coming for several years. The one where it feels like year 10 of being under manned at WR. Those are moves that are indicative of his building style. Place holders until he can draft a permanent guy two years from now. Where free agency is only used to pick through left overs or sign a “no risk” one year vet.
They are going to have to do this eventually. Irsay isn't going to wait around forever for them to find a QB. It sucks because the rest of the roster to ready to win now.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:59 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

I forgot to mention it, but the other big thing I noticed Ballard talk about was off-season. I had forgotten, but didn't we have a soft off-season and training camp and all that? Not just players missing.

Anyway, he seemed like he intends on making things tougher going forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 12:55 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

He also said you need 8 on the D line “ you gotta have 8”
Old 01-15-2022, 01:52 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post

He also said that you need 8 on the D line ...... “You gotta have 8.”

o

If the rules permitted the Colts to do so, I would have them playing 8 defensive lineman, 4 linebackers, and 5 defensive backs.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 01-15-2022, 03:27 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

If the rules permitted the Colts to do so, I would have them playing 8 defensive lineman, 4 linebackers, and 5 defensive backs.

o
Fuck the way DBs go down and teams pass so much you better have a rotation of 8 Dline and 8DBs because atleast 4 are going down at some point in the season
Old 01-15-2022, 04:43 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,018 Posts

Quote:

He also said that you need 8 on the D line ...... “You gotta have 8.”

Quote:
o

o

Quote:

Fuck the way DB's go down, and teams pass so much ...... you'd better have a rotation of 8 D-Linemen and 8 DB's, because at least 4 are going to go down at some point in the season.

o

I meant having them all on the field at the same time ...... 17 Colts defenders against 11 opposing offensive players on every play from scrimmage.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 01-15-2022, 06:18 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Quote:
o

I meant having them all on the field at the same time ...... 17 Colts defenders against 11 opposing offensive players on every play from scrimmage.

o
Nah man but after the turnovers you gotta turn those into points and a lot of times we didn’t