ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-26-2024, 09:31 AM

Default Kwity Paye

No way the colts will pick up the 5th year option with Latu in the fold. Paye is not worth the money.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:48 AM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

At $13.4m, maybe not. That wouldn't mean we can't resign him later on. It will be interesting to see how Latu affects the dynamic.

People should realize that Latu is not Paye's replacement. They play the same position... but they don't play the same position.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 10:08 AM

Thanked 4,297 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
At $13.4m, maybe not. That wouldn't mean we can't resign him later on. It will be interesting to see how Latu affects the dynamic.

People should realize that Latu is not Paye's replacement. They play the same position... but they don't play the same position.
paye isn't a starting caliber de imo. he is a decent player but he should be a backup.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post

Who does Latu replace? Samson Ebukah perhaps or part of the rotation maybe. Supposedly Latu is good against the run along with pass rushing skills.

Last edited by jasperhobbs; 04-26-2024 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:41 AM

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,222 Posts

Paye probably will not get the 5th year option. But that's more about Dayo being able to do everything Paye can do. Dayo is also more versatile and will be cheaper.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Who does Latu replace? Samson Ebukah perhaps or part of the rotation maybe. Supposedly Latu is good against the run along with pass rushing skills.
I just mean, for simplicity's sake, Kwity is more of the Gus Bradley Big (2-gap 6 strongside) whereas Ebukam was more of the LEO (weakside 9). Again, it's not that simple, but just generally speaking.

Latu is plenty talented enough to do both, but primarily you would want him in the Ebukam role.

Now, that said, there's clearly going to be a rotation. Ebukam and Kwity each played roughly 2/3 of the snaps in '23. I can picture lots of scenarios. Maybe we often see Latu rotate a little less because he can play weakside with Kwity or strongside with Ebukam.

I'm just thinking out loud, so I could be wrong. But I'm very interested to see how they mix and match.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Paye probably will not get the 5th year option. But that's more about Dayo being able to do everything Paye can do. Dayo is also more versatile and will be cheaper.
Of course, I didn't even throw Dayo into the mix.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:32 PM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

I think the term "starter" and "backup" will be pretty blurred with our D ends.

Obvious run situations, two best run defenders.

Obvious pass situations, two best pass rushers.

Situations inbetween? Rotate all five of them so they are fresh later in the game.

I think in terms of "packages" rather than starters and backups. They will all get snaps based on their performance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (04-26-2024), Racehorse (04-26-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 03:55 PM

Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,182 Posts

Today, the Colts picked up Paye's 5th year option.

https://www.colts.com/news/kwity-pay...ft-first-round

Quote:
The Colts on Thursday exercised the fifth-year option on defensive end Kwity Paye's rookie contract, which keeps the 2021 first-round pick under contract in Indianapolis through the 2025 season.

Paye in 2023 set career highs in games played (16), sacks (8.5), tackles (52) and forced fumbles (two). The 6-foot-3, 265 pound Paye had a sack in each of his first three games last season and recorded his second career multi-sack game in the Colts' Week 13 overtime win over the Tennessee Titans. His 78.1 Pro Football Focus run defense grade ranked 11th in 2023 among started defensive ends, too.

Defensive coordinator Gus Bradley this week described Paye as a player "that you trust" within the Colts' defense.

"On the edge, (he) does things right, comes to work every day, you know what you're going to get, highly respected by all of his teammates and I believe, and I think all of our coaches and even this organization – there is another level for him," Bradley said. "In this short period of time, you can see that in his mind too. He's excited about (defensive line coach) Charlie (Partridge) in there and learning some different things right there for him. You can just feel like Kwity, like we said with rushers – sometimes it can take some time. We think he's in a good space right now just in my visits with him."

Over 43 career games, all of which he's started, Paye had 18.5 sacks, 129 tackles, 21 tackles for a loss, 29 quarterback hits and three forced fumbles. The Colts selected Paye out of Michigan with the No. 21 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

"Kwity is a really good football player," general manager Chris Ballard said last week. "He had 8.5 sacks last year, plays the crap out of the run, he's a great teammate. I think you know our philosophy; we want to keep as many of our own guys as we can. We like Kwity a lot."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (05-02-2024), Colts And Orioles (05-02-2024), Racehorse (05-03-2024), sherck (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:26 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,659 Times in 960 Posts

That's interesting. I don't hate it. Paye certainly could be a good Robin to Latu's Batman.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (05-03-2024), sherck (05-03-2024)