ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-24-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
Ballard should know if worth a flyer being from KC, I don't know much about him ...
I've heard speculation that maybe his injury was cause for concern, otherwise that he'd be a great fit for us
Old 04-24-2017, 01:06 PM

Thanked 1,197 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I've heard speculation that maybe his injury was cause for concern, otherwise that he'd be a great fit for us
I agree. I read something somewhere (so many....) where they were concerned about his response to rehab and that he was not 100% back.

Our DE depth looks like:

Langford: If he can return to 2015 form, then he is a quality starter.

Hunt: I am really intrigued by his switch from a 1-gap 4-3 DE (his pass rush was lacking) to a 2-gap 3-4 DE where his praised run stopping skills will be emphasized. I think he could shine.

Sokili: Freakish strong and massive but underwhelming football player.

Anderson: Has the height and length to play DE if he were not the first choice to play DT in front of Ridgeway.

If healthy, Howard would challenge Langford for play time. All would be improved. However, the question is if he is healthy or not.

Cheers,
Old 04-24-2017, 01:19 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Seems like a talented and versatile player for the DL. But hip injuries dont' always heal right. I doubt the Chiefs would release him if he had a good chance of returning to the way he played in 2015.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Following the drafting of Miami TE David Njoku the Browns cut TE Gary Barnidge ... Any interest here ?
Old 04-28-2017, 04:47 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

I'm so glad this team signed Hankins so they don't have to waste a draft pick on a NT.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (04-28-2017), omahacolt (04-28-2017), smitty46953 (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 04:53 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
I'm so glad this team signed Hankins so they don't have to waste a draft pick on a NT.
Still, I'm not opposed to using a later round pick on a NT. Hankins can provide some value at 3-tech as well.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:04 PM

Thanked 4,293 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
i agree

i read there weren't very many good prospects at nt
Old 04-28-2017, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Me too, I actually am one who wanted Hankins over Poe. Recall watching him at Ohio State and thought he be a good one...
Old 04-28-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Still, I'm not opposed to using a later round pick on a NT. Hankins can provide some value at 3-tech as well.
I really like DJ Jones as a potential rotational NT:

Quote:
OVERVIEW
D.J. (David, Junior) Jones is a short, stout, and athletic nose tackle who excelled for the Rebels the past two seasons but didn't earn all-conference honors from SEC coaches or media. The South Carolina native was a top-five junior college recruit nationally after starring at East Mississippi Junior College (21.5 tackles for loss, 12 sacks in two years), which won two national championships while he was here. Jones played in every game in 2015, starting three, making 40 tackles, 5.5 for loss, and four sacks. Rebels coaches started him all 12 games in his senior year (30 tackles, three TFL, two sacks).
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Has a big bubble and plays with a wide base. Outrageous weight room strength with monster numbers in clean, bench, and squat. Plays low and fires upward strikes to elevate the blocker's center of gravity. Has the play strength to rip through an edge once he gets to it. Has quick hands and is nice with the swim move. Has necessary play traits to be an effective rusher in the twist game. Rare reactive athleticism and short-area lateral quickness for an interior player. Extended tackle radius allows him to close out running lanes away from his gap. Keeps hounding runners down the field for the tackle. Instinctive and quickly sniffs out screen passes. Very rarely on ground.
WEAKNESSES Has a stocky frame with short arms and lacks the length teams like. Lack of size could be an issue against NFL double teams. Motor gets him too juiced at times. Needs to gather himself to prevent running past his target. Was unable to overpower strong guards in man-to-man contest. Productivity fell way off over the second half of the season. Despite his impressive athleticism, lacked impact tackle production.
DRAFT PROJECTION Round 4-5
SOURCES TELL US "Go back and watch his tape from early in the season and then from late in the season and you will see a different player. At least that is what I thought. I just thought he looked like he kind of ran out of gas later in the year. He moves around like a fullback but he didn't make that many plays. That worries you as a coach." - SEC offensive coach
NFL COMPARISON Grady Jarrett
BOTTOM LINE Jones has a freaky combination of power and athleticism that isn't seen all that often. While his playing style is reminiscent of Grady Jarrett's, keep in mind that he's a bigger player. Despite his impressive play attributes, Jones failed to generate the production that his flashes on tape would indicate he's capable of. If a coach can unlock more consistency, Jones has a chance to flourish as a one-gapping nose with three-down ability.
-Lance Zierlein
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...nes?id=2558265

Quote:
Name: D.J. Jones

School: Mississippi

Position fit: Defensive tackle

Stats to know: 18 run stops in 2015 and 13 run stops in 2016.

What he does best:

Wins inside with lateral agility to get around blockers in a hurry.
Highly effective on stunts and has the range to stunt more than one gap over.
Stays after plays and will make impressive tackles in pursuit for a big man.
Effective swim move to routinely get around guards and centers.
Good instincts to recognize he is being let upfield on screens.
Plays with good low pad level and can really get under a blocker’s pads.
Uses his peripheral vision to avoid blocks while finding the ball on misdirection plays.
Agility and balance to avoid cut blocks and stay in the play.
Can use his natural leverage advantage to win quickly in the engagement.
Has the quickness to play one-gap techniques or the shedding ability to play two-gaps.
Graded positively as a pass-rusher and a run-defender for two-straight seasons.
Biggest concern:

Pass-rush wasn’t consistent and came in spurts during the season.
Overall grades dipped significantly after Week 1 game against Florida State.
Has only played 47 percent of defensive snaps each of the last two seasons.
Needs more pass-rush moves other than his effective swim move.
Only two sacks, one hit and six hurries on 208 pass-rush snaps in 2016.
Player comparison: Vernon Butler, Carolina Panthers

Jones’s build and foot quickness and ability to stunt and generate pass-rush pressure is similar to a shorter Butler. Jones won’t be drafted as highly as Butler was selected by the Panthers but he can provide rotational snaps with a similar style of play.

Bottom line: Jones plays with a naturally low pad level and when combined with his height gives him a natural leverage advantage over taller offensive linemen. Jones can play rotational snaps on the interior of defensive line and if he can generate a more consistent pass-rush could possibly push for a starting role down the line. Jones is worth investing a Day 3 pick in the draft.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/dra...s-di-ole-miss/
The Following User Says Thank You to Coltsalr For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (04-28-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 03:37 PM

@RapSheet
The #49ers have released RB Mike Davis, source said. He was the subject of trade talks during the draft, so he'll draw real interest.

I believe Indy showed some interest in him in the past...