ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 12:39 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Seems crazy to me that two MLB/ILBs could go in the top 10. Especially in a draft with so many QB prospects. I was ok trading w/Buffalo because I figured then we'd get at least a top defensive front 7 player and then a good starter prospect in the 20s. But we can't devalue talent for quantity. We need difference-makers.
Yeah, I don't think Smith or Edmunds will make it to 12. I see TB/CHI/SF/OAK splitting two LBs and two DBs unless Barkley and Nelson are still on the board.

It will depend on how the first 5 go, but I could easily see Ballard deciding to stay at 6 and make sure he gets his choice. That being said, some scouts are grading LVE and Evans very close to Smith/Edmunds, so you still might be able to move down with BUF and get two very good players in the front 7.

Last edited by VeveJones007; 04-17-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:17 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
From an NFL.com article published on the 16th written by Daniel Jeremaih and Bucky Brooks (located here):

Put that all together and it could mean that:

A. The only one of the "elite 3" non-QBs left on the board after pick 5 is Nelson.
B. If Colts trade out and someone picks up the last of the 4 big QBs with the #6 pick, then Nelson, Edmunds and Smith could be the next 3 picks off the board at 7/8/9.
C. Secondary should then go from 10 to the early teens with Fitzpatrick, James, and Ward probably being the best defensive players left on the board.
D. OT McGlincy should be somewhere in the mess of the top 15.
E. DT Vea should be somewhere in the mess of the top 15.

I think this all means that dropping to #12 means we will be "settling" for a Tier 1B players like Vea, McGlincey, Davenport, Alexander, Payne or LVE.

After Barkley, I don't feel like there are any offensive skill players in high demand until the late teens. I think it will be QB and defense in the top 15 except for Nelson (and Barkley).

Walk Worthy,
I just can't see how 4 QBs don't go Top 5. You have 4 of the QB neediest teams in the league in the Top 5, with Cleveland picking twice. NYJ moved up specifically for a QB, and I can't see Gettleman or Elway being dumb enough to pass on their chance at a franchise QB. That leaves Cleveland to pick one of Barkley or Chubb, and I can't see them not picking Barkley. Further, I can't see Elway picking Chubb with Allen or Mayfield sitting there. He doesn't believe in Case Keenum enough to learn his name for his introductory press conference. There's no way he'll take Chubb over a QB.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:25 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I just can't see how 4 QBs don't go Top 5. You have 4 of the QB neediest teams in the league in the Top 5, with Cleveland picking twice. NYJ moved up specifically for a QB, and I can't see Gettleman or Elway being dumb enough to pass on their chance at a franchise QB. That leaves Cleveland to pick one of Barkley or Chubb, and I can't see them not picking Barkley. Further, I can't see Elway picking Chubb with Allen or Mayfield sitting there. He doesn't believe in Case Keenum enough to learn his name for his introductory press conference. There's no way he'll take Chubb over a QB.
agree, I think in the end it will be 4 QBs and barkley gone before we pick. Ballard takes chubb at 6.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:13 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
In a vacuum, yes, but do you really think Elway will take Rosen? I don't see any way that happens.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
If Chubb is not there at #6, I am hoping that Ballard can do one more trade down to #8, #9 or #10, pick up one more 2nd round pick for the compensation and then pick one of (in order of preference):

LB Termaine Edmunds
LB RoquanSmith
CB Denzel Ward
SS Derwin James

That would give us, say we traded with CHI, the following picks in the 2nd round:

#36 overall (4th in 2nd round)
#37 overall (5th in 2nd round)
#39 overall (7th in 2nd round)
#49 overall (17th in 2nd round)

5 guys in the top 50, if picked well, would definantely give a jump start to our youth re-build.

Chubb is worth the #6 pick but otherwise? I would love to trade down one more time for one of these "2nd tier" guys (i.e. not Chubb, Nelson or Barkley).

Walk Worthy
I doubt Chicago trades up this year after doing the same last year. They'll take what falls to them since there's not much value for them to get to 6 over staying where they are. They also have a ton of needs and wouldn't give up their 2nd.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:43 PM

Thanked 1,115 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
I can easily see them passing on Barkley. Myles Garrett & Chubb would be a defensive force.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:54 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

I agree.

I know it has been a while now but Denver used to be known as the king of getting great RB production out of no name guys running back by committee. That tradition still lives on in their minds, I have little doubt.

I also have little doubt that Elway, as a former HOF QB, suscribes to the Bill Polian school of thought that the 3 most important positions on an NFL team ar:

1. The QB
2. The QB blind side protector
3. The guys who the QB needs protection from.

Denver needs a QB.
Denver needs pass rush.
There are no OTs worth a top 5 in this year's draft.

I could easily see them picking Chubb if he is still on the board over Barkley.

Walk Worthy,
Old 04-18-2018, 08:41 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Elway also never won a SB until Terrell Davis came along. The days of artificially manufactured RB production left with Mike Shanahan.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:53 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

So, trade rumor....

Colts trade #6 overall to NYG.

NYG trade #34 overall and Odel Beckham Jr to Colts.

71.8 catches per season / 1,138 yards per season / 56.9% catch rate / 5.7 TD per season / T.Y. Hilton
78.1 catches per season / 1,106 yards per season / 61.5% catch rate / 9.5 TD per season / OBJ (with 1 season being only 4 games)

Hilton / OBJ / Rogers / Doyle / Ebron / Mack with Luck directing that?

Good golly!

Add a a rookie right OT with one of our now 4 2nd round picks and let the Mewhort / Slauson / Haeg / Good / Bond duke it out for OG starters and our offense would be set.

All other draft picks then used on defense. All of them.

Yeah, OBJ is going to want lots of wack at the end of the season but we have the cap space. OBJ will turn 26 in November of this season.

I don't know for sure that I would take it but I also don't know that there are any playmakers of his talent available in this year's draft.

Want a known difference maker with the #6 pick? OBJ is one of the choices.

Walk Worthy,
Old 04-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey 5 View Post
I can easily see them passing on Barkley. Myles Garrett & Chubb would be a defensive force.
I think they'll be more concerned with having a good run game to protect their newly drafted franchise QB, plus they already have Garrett. Everything I read and heard from the combine was that they were the most impressed by him.

Quote:
I agree.

I know it has been a while now but Denver used to be known as the king of getting great RB production out of no name guys running back by committee. That tradition still lives on in their minds, I have little doubt.

I also have little doubt that Elway, as a former HOF QB, suscribes to the Bill Polian school of thought that the 3 most important positions on an NFL team ar:

1. The QB
2. The QB blind side protector
3. The guys who the QB needs protection from.

Denver needs a QB.
Denver needs pass rush.
There are no OTs worth a top 5 in this year's draft.

I could easily see them picking Chubb if he is still on the board over Barkley.

Walk Worthy,
Denver absolutely would pick Chubb over Barkley. I just don'tthink they'll pick him over a QB.

Quote:
So, trade rumor....

Colts trade #6 overall to NYG.

NYG trade #34 overall and Odel Beckham Jr to Colts.

71.8 catches per season / 1,138 yards per season / 56.9% catch rate / 5.7 TD per season / T.Y. Hilton
78.1 catches per season / 1,106 yards per season / 61.5% catch rate / 9.5 TD per season / OBJ (with 1 season being only 4 games)

Hilton / OBJ / Rogers / Doyle / Ebron / Mack with Luck directing that?

Good golly!

Add a a rookie right OT with one of our now 4 2nd round picks and let the Mewhort / Slauson / Haeg / Good / Bond duke it out for OG starters and our offense would be set.

All other draft picks then used on defense. All of them.

Yeah, OBJ is going to want lots of wack at the end of the season but we have the cap space. OBJ will turn 26 in November of this season.

I don't know for sure that I would take it but I also don't know that there are any playmakers of his talent available in this year's draft.

Want a known difference maker with the #6 pick? OBJ is one of the choices.

Walk Worthy,
If Ballard didn't hang up the phone laughing, I have concerns.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-18-2018), VeveJones007 (04-18-2018)