ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-05-2017, 09:38 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
He has played like a top ten cb his whole time here. Outside of revis a few years ago, what cb is lock down great game in and game out?

Expectations for Davis are insane with fans
I think you are overestimating my criticism, or I am not communicating well. I like Davis. And he has been in a bad position, the best player on a terrible defense. I am hopeful that with some new talent on the roster he will be able to play more consistently at a high level.

At his best, in 2014, he was talked about as possibly the best corner in the league. I remember him going on a streak of over 1000 snaps without giving up a TD. His 2015 and 2016 seasons weren't at that level. He was targeted at times. Some of those big plays the Colts defense gave up were passes to his man. I don't think I am being harsh or unrealistic, I'm just stating what happened.

We'll see how he does in 2017. He's never been a turnovers guy, he's a coverage corner that does well in run support. When his athleticism begins going downhill, his strengths will go with it. So he's not a player you can sign to a top 3 corner contract. He hasn't played at that level most of his career, and his age has to be a factor.

And my point in talking about Davis' shortcomings was this ridiculous idea you brought up about how Davis is 5x the player Mewhort is. First it's dumb to compare a corner to a guard like that. Second, I know you think the white-loving Colts fans overrate Mewhort, but this is your blind spot. You let what fans say affect how you view the actual player. Mewhort is a good player. Kevin Zeitler got $12M/year in FA this offseason. $8M/year for Mewhort in 2018 will not be a bad price to pay, the cap goes way up every year now.

Last edited by FatDT; 05-05-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:57 AM

I mentioned before, I am hoping Wilson emerges as a solid starter and we see Davis move to #2 corner and Wilson #1 in coming seasons.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:51 AM

As much as I cringed every time last week I saw more back and forth on this subject, I found this article from NBC Sports pretty interesting regarding Guard pay.

Quote:
The Browns made a couple of big investments in guards this offseason when they signed Kevin Zeitler and re-signed Joel Bitonio to contracts with a total maximum value of $111.2 million.

The two Browns weren’t the only guards seeing nice paydays as they hit or neared free agency. Ronald Leary, Larry Warford and Laurent Duvernay-Tardif also netted good deals and a peer heading into the final year of his deal took note.

Giants left guard Justin Pugh started his NFL career at right tackle, but has been much more productive since moving inside for the 2015 season. That leaves him feeling good about what the future holds for him on the contract front.

“Do you even know who some of those guys are that were getting paid?” Pugh said, via Dan Duggan of NJ.com. “I feel good about where I’m at. … The guard market has gone up. I definitely have taken notice. I’ve seen what these guys are getting. I’ve seen guys that I came in with. That’s just part of this game. It’s part of the business of it. It’s the tough part of it, but in this league, if you go out and you produce, you get paid.”

Pugh is playing this year on the fifth-year option that the Giants exercised last offseason. It comes with an $8.8 million salary and Pugh could be looking at even more for the 2018 season if all goes well for him on the field this year.