ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-14-2023, 03:19 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 791 Posts
Default JT O'Sullivan - Anthony Richardson Preseason Week 1 Breakdown

Currently watching/listening. If you want to check it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3sgZaRSaPU
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
apballin (08-14-2023), Chromeburn (08-14-2023), YDFL Commish (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 03:52 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

This might be a good place to share this then. Competent breakdown.

https://twitter.com/indysports1812/s...L8ardaxv32vrGQ
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Butter (08-15-2023), ChaosTheory (08-14-2023), Racehorse (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 04:49 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
This might be a good place to share this then. Competent breakdown.

https://twitter.com/indysports1812/s...L8ardaxv32vrGQ
Haven't seen that guy before. He do any longer form stuff?

As for the tape... Granted that it's only preseason week 1, Richardson did a lot to make me feel better about about the mental portion of his game. I don't mean intelligence so much, but more like decisiveness and calmness overall.

His big panic was the INT, but that looks fixable... Richardson had it right, but between two rookies (Hull and Freeland) not picking up the CB and DE properly and McKenzie not running the right route, it broke down and he Wentz'd. It'll look good in the future. But if things do break down, I hope they're hammering home the idea that he has to send the ball to the stands.

Aside from that, most of his negatives were technique and footwork causing errant throws. I really hope Steichen can clean that up because that was my biggest concern with AR coming out... just placing the ball on the "regular" NFL throws. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders that will take to coaching.

I think my favorite play from Richardson was the PI on Pierce. As pointed out by O'Sullivan, he showed good anticipation throwing before Pierce broke. Pierce beat his guy and had a ton of space towards the middle of the field, so he got desperation held.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (08-15-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 08:08 PM

Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,217 Posts

The one Pierce dropped was a thing of beauty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (08-15-2023), Racehorse (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 12:12 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Haven't seen that guy before. He do any longer form stuff?

As for the tape... Granted that it's only preseason week 1, Richardson did a lot to make me feel better about about the mental portion of his game. I don't mean intelligence so much, but more like decisiveness and calmness overall.

His big panic was the INT, but that looks fixable... Richardson had it right, but between two rookies (Hull and Freeland) not picking up the CB and DE properly and McKenzie not running the right route, it broke down and he Wentz'd. It'll look good in the future. But if things do break down, I hope they're hammering home the idea that he has to send the ball to the stands.

Aside from that, most of his negatives were technique and footwork causing errant throws. I really hope Steichen can clean that up because that was my biggest concern with AR coming out... just placing the ball on the "regular" NFL throws. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders that will take to coaching.

I think my favorite play from Richardson was the PI on Pierce. As pointed out by O'Sullivan, he showed good anticipation throwing before Pierce broke. Pierce beat his guy and had a ton of space towards the middle of the field, so he got desperation held.
I don’t know. First time I’ve seen him. @Theoashnfl. They have a podcast too.

The mechanics won’t get fixed this season. The processing and speed is what I was worried about. But he looked good I thought. Game didn’t seem to bug or fast for him. He took a shot on the int, but he will learn not to do that. The throw with anticipation was great. The runs were solid. He looks a lot like Josh Allen when he was a rookie. He has a good feel for the game, a natural feel for angles and leverage. He throws to spots favoring the receiver and away from the defender (when accurate). He knew where to go on the blitz. Now it’s just about reps and growth. It will be ugly at times, but I think he will be ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (08-15-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 09:41 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

After watching this young man this is quickly becoming his team. JT is a very nice supportive piece if he gets back. It doesn't really matter all that much. If AR hits we don't NEED a back like JT and if AR misses it won't matter one bit how good JT is. I am amazed at how AR moves like he weighs 200 pounds, if he doesn't get injured we are in for a fun trip with him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (08-15-2023)