ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-19-2023, 09:49 AM

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,226 Posts
Default Safety

I'm sure I'm not the only old timer that has noticed. But NFL players do not wear the pads or protective equipment that they have in in the past.

It seems that knee pads and thigh pads are optional. Shoulder pads are small and inadequate, nobody wears thigh pads.

HOW THE THE FUCK DOES THE NFL ALLOW THIS WHEN THEY ARE PREACHING SAFETY?

Is there not an NFL uniform standard? I know there use to be. I'm just sick and tired of the BS about the NFL stance on safety when the NFL does not enforce things that do not reflect this.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:47 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,141 Times in 647 Posts

Definitely, my nephews play little league football and kids are constantly reminded “put your mouthpiece in “

Then your nephews point out NFL players don’t have to wear a mouthpiece

I had to look the shit up because I didn’t believe it but yes mouth guards are optional.

The play that bothers me the most is when guys are on the ground and get pounced on. How has that not been banned??? I’d like to know how many guys have been injured from a 300 pound guy jumping on them while they’re on the ground.

If you’re on the ground… you’re defenseless
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-20-2023), YDFL Commish (11-20-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 07:38 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post

HOW THE THE FUCK DOES THE NFL ALLOW THIS WHEN THEY ARE PREACHING SAFETY ???

o

When they added a 17th-regular-season game in 2021, they had the balls to say that they were "following the science" because they were cutting back the pre-season schedule from 4 games to 3 ...... subsequently, I'm not the least bit surprised when they behave in a questionable manner in other areas.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 12-06-2023, 11:37 AM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post

Definitely, my nephews play Little League football and kids are constantly reminded “put your mouthpiece in “

Then your nephews point out NFL players don’t have to wear a mouthpiece

I had to look the shit up because I didn’t believe it but yes mouth guards are optional.

The play that bothers me the most is when guys are on the ground and get pounced on. How has that not been banned??? I’d like to know how many guys have been injured from a 300 pound guy jumping on them while they’re on the ground.

If you’re on the ground ...… you’re defenseless.

o

Bernie Kosar ) is missing numerous front teeth, because he claimed that in order to audible discernably, he had play without his mouthpiece.

Q: ) I read about all the teeth that you had knocked out over the years from playing football, and how little of them you have left ...... Is that true ???

A: ) “Pretty much. I’ve had probably four or five of my back teeth knocked out, two are still missing, and five are fake. Because I audibled so much because Coach Shnellenberger and Coach Shula gave me the luxury of changing the play, the mouthpiece made me sound garbled. In these loud 80,000-seat stadiums, you need the guys to understand and hear you. So it just got to the point where I wasn’t even wearing one because I audibled so much. For the kids out there, it was stupid and a mistake. It definitely caused more of the concussions and loss of teeth. I actually have saved all the teeth that have been knocked out and the screws and pins that have been taken out in surgeries. I also had surgery on my jaw multiple times because I cracked the bone four or five times from getting hit. I was so focused in on wanting to make good plays, and because I was so slow I knew I needed to get us in the right play all the time because I knew I couldn’t run the ball.”

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2010/02...-bernie-kosar/

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
apballin (12-06-2023), Racehorse (12-06-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 09:58 AM

Tackling was also much more sound back in the 60' 70's 80's. Go watch some games and you will see why they rarely had concussions back then.

Everybody was leading with the head and going as low as possible to make the tackle.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:25 PM

They had just as many serious concussions in the 70's, 80's, but players never reported them. The defensive linemen would wear hard casts and smack the offensive lineman on the sides of their helmets, until it was eventually banned. Protective equipment back then, ie helmets provided little to no protection in reality.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-07-2023), Racehorse (12-07-2023), YDFL Commish (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
They had just as many serious concussions in the 70's, 80's, but players never reported them. The defensive linemen would wear hard casts and smack the offensive lineman on the sides of their helmets, until it was eventually banned. Protective equipment back then, ie helmets provided little to no protection in reality.
I'm not saying they didn't. I'm just saying that current style of tackling is more conducive to concussions.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:41 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

There is a problem when over 90% of NFL players autopsied have CTE.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:09 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post

There is a problem when over 90% of NFL players autopsied have CTE.

o

In my rat's ass of an opinion, it's the nature of this vicious game.

Asserting that there is a problem insinuates that there is a solution ...... there isn't, unless tackle football is abolished.

o

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (12-07-2023), njcoltfan (12-08-2023), Racehorse (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 04:21 PM

Thanked 1,670 Times in 798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

In my rat's ass of an opinion, it's the nature of this vicious game.

Asserting that there is a problem insinuates that there is a solution ...... there isn't, unless tackle football is abolished.

o
It's true. Football players are athletes with the greatest combination of speed, explosiveness, and mass. These are car wrecks they get into, play after play. You can protect your skull from fracturing, but you can't stop your brain from moving.

It's always been a calculated risk. Same with boxers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-07-2023), Racehorse (12-07-2023)