ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-26-2023, 10:48 AM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

Saturday may or may not be a horrible head coach, but I don't think that anyone can know that for certain after 8 games. Bill Parcells was 3-12-1 in his first season coaching the Giants in 1983.

So for the time being, all we can do is patiently wait to see what Saturday says, and (more significantly) see what Jim Irsay says.

o
I think I can give you a better example. Tom Landry didn't win a game with the Cowboys until their 15th game, spanning 2 seasons. He also did not have a winning season or take the team to the playoffs until his 7th season as HC, 1966.

Obviously no owner is going to be that patient today. But 7 years seems like an awful lot of time to learn on the job.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 12:22 PM

Thanked 4,396 Times in 2,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I think I can give you a better example. Tom Landry didn't win a game with the Cowboys until their 15th game, spanning 2 seasons. He also did not have a winning season or take the team to the playoffs until his 7th season as HC, 1966.

Obviously no owner is going to be that patient today. But 7 years seems like an awful lot of time to learn on the job.
Let me add that I have always hated the Cowgirls, but Landry was a class act. Jones fired him, so I don’t like him, either.
JAFF (01-26-2023), TheMugwump (01-29-2023), YDFL Commish (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 12:57 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
o

Saturday may or may not be a horrible head coach, but I don't think that anyone can know that for certain after 8 games. Bill Parcells was 3-12-1 in his first season coaching the Giants in 1983.

So for the time being, all we can do is patiently wait to see what Saturday says, and (more significantly) see what Jim Irsay says.

o

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post

o

Good example.

Also, Jimmy Johnson ...... the Cowboys were 1-15 in his first season as their head coach in 1989.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 02:18 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Let me add that I have always hated the Cowgirls, but Landry was a class act. Jones fired him, so I don’t like him, either.
Huge difference between now and the 1960’s, there was no free agency. John McCay from USC had three terrible years and finally made the playoffs around the time the NFL opened up free agency.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:58 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I don't think you can count Landry. The Cowboys were a brand new team, most of the players were cast offs from the other franchises. Everyone knew they would be a horrible team. Quality old time coach. Hard ass from the get go. Their first draft choice, Bob Lilly, set the tone I didn't hate them at first. Took time.

Could say the same thing about McCay. People knew he could coach, he has cast offs for players.

Last edited by Oldcolt; 01-26-2023 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:06 PM

Thanked 1,120 Times in 623 Posts

Quote:
o

Good example.

Also, Jimmy Johnson ...... the Cowboys were 1-15 in his first season as their head coach in 1989.

o
Then he fleeced the Vikings & the rest is history.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:06 PM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 790 Posts

Brad Ausmus is a "finalist" for the GM job with the Houston Astros and there is a similar type of concern around here as there is with Jeff Saturday, albeit to a far lesser degree.

Ausmus spent 10 years playing for HOU, was on the '05 WS team, the owner likes him, etc. At least he's been an MLB manager, though. But guys are asking, "Would he be considered for any other GM job in the league outside of the place he played with the owner that he has a relationship with?".

I think you have to think that way about Saturday, obviously.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
bigalbert (01-31-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 10:28 PM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Daniel Jones FA. He looked good against the Colts.

Any one who was getting paid and quit on the team should get cut. No coach is going to turn those people around.
What QB doesn't look good against the Colts?
Old 01-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
What QB doesn't look good against the Colts?
He moved well, and he was putting the ball on the numbers. He runs well, which he would need if he signed with the Colts
Old 01-27-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
"Here's the deal, man,'' Saturday said Wednesday during his first full-blown press conference. “None of us are promised a good job. I may be terrible at this and after eight games, I'll say, 'God bless you, I am no good. ''' Nov 9, 2022

I just want to know what happened to that. I think it's a fair question. I think it was JMV who said he's the Vegas odds-on favorite for the job yesterday at +150 at the time.
If Saturday gets the HC gig, the Colts, and Irsay, will be officially crowned the court jesters of the NFL !! It would not surprise me if the top QB's in this years draft pull an Elway on them !!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
Brylok (01-27-2023), CletusPyle (01-27-2023)