ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-29-2022, 09:16 PM

Thanked 1,339 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Yeah, that was about as bad as it gets. Definitely his Jim Caldwell moment.
It was bad, but not as bad as Caldwell's career ending timeout. About the only thing that was worse than Caldwell's timeout was the Clappy McWoodchopper fake punt special
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (11-29-2022), Racehorse (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 09:30 PM

Thanked 1,250 Times in 701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2fish View Post
Saturday said today he made a mistake and if he should have called a timeout. I respect he owned it. Maybe a day later, but he did admit he made a mistake. He is literally by the truest definition a rookie coach. He will make mistakes, but as long as they are not repeated over and over it is growth. Hell nobody knows, but this could be the next Lombardi in training. I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt, mainly cause right now we don't have a choice.
Dude f'd up plain and simple. Hurt his teams chances for a win. Glad he owned it albeit a day late. Move on.
Colts And Orioles (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 07:23 AM

The lack of a timeout, had no bearing on the result of the game in any way. They were ready, and ran the play as planned, it didn't work, we turned the ball over on downs, end of. If we had converted the 4th down, we use the timeout and stop the clock immediately.

Coaches use timeouts far too early in my opinion generally in a 2 minute situation. With 3 timeouts left in the last 20 seconds, you should easily be able to run at least 3 plays.

We lost this game in the 1st half, not in the final minute.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
JAFF (11-30-2022), Lov2fish (11-30-2022), Racehorse (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
The lack of a timeout, had no bearing on the result of the game in any way. They were ready, and ran the play as planned, it didn't work, we turned the ball over on downs, end of. If we had converted the 4th down, we use the timeout and stop the clock immediately.

Coaches use timeouts far too early in my opinion generally in a 2 minute situation. With 3 timeouts left in the last 20 seconds, you should easily be able to run at least 3 plays.

The lack of a timeout certainly affected the outcome of the game. It’s not just about the time remaining on the clock. Saturday himself admits the team was in disarray. That was Saturday’s words. Taking a timeout to regroup made absolute sense - especially considering the time remaining. Not to mention the lack of a timeout dictated the personnel grouping and therefore limited the play selection - a pretty big point considering the defender claims he knew what was coming by the alignment.

And I’ll ask - if time wasn’t an issue and there was no need to regroup or talk anything over, why call the timeout before 4th down? Probably to regroup and make sure they had what they thought was the best play regardless of personnel groupings. The reality is they should have called timeout after the sack. They ran 36 seconds to get to the next play and were lucky Ryan’s scrambled bailed them out. Rookie coach, it happens. But 3/4 of the people defending it would have been criticizing Reich for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (11-30-2022), Spike (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 01:33 PM

Thanked 1,673 Times in 800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post

I agree - I sort of thought he should have called a timeout sooner, but time really wasn't really a big factor there. A time out might have been useful for thinking up a better play perhaps but not because of time.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:51 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post

The lack of a timeout certainly affected the outcome of the game. It’s not just about the time remaining on the clock. Saturday himself admits the team was in disarray. That was Saturday’s words. Taking a timeout to regroup made absolute sense - especially considering the time remaining. Not to mention the lack of a timeout dictated the personnel grouping and therefore limited the play selection - a pretty big point considering the defender claims he knew what was coming by the alignment.

And I’ll ask - if time wasn’t an issue and there was no need to regroup or talk anything over, why call the timeout before 4th down? Probably to regroup and make sure they had what they thought was the best play regardless of personnel groupings. The reality is they should have called timeout after the sack. They ran 36 seconds to get to the next play and were lucky Ryan’s scrambled bailed them out. Rookie coach, it happens. But 3/4 of the people defending it would have been criticizing Reich for it.

o

I agree ...... after Ryan's 14-yard scramble, the Colts were in a very manageable 3-and-3 ...... rushing the next play, which resulted in a 1-yard loss, completely changed the complexion of the situation for the Colts. If they had immediately called timeout after Ryan went down, they would have had plenty of time to re-group, and perhaps get a less predictable play called.

Everything that happens in a fluid sport like football has a cause-and-effect factor ...... and I believe that this situation was an example of that.

That said, the Colts once again put themselves in a position to get themselves kicked in the ass. If they had not played so horribly in the first half, they might not have been in such dire straits in the final minute of the game. And yes, they probably got jobbed on the no-call of a pass interference on their final play from scrimmage, but their inconsistent play up until that point in the game made them vulnerable to needing the help of the referees on one solitary play in the final seconds of the 4th quarter.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-30-2022), Spike (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post

1) The media criticism leveled at Saturday following the game has almost exclusively been about the time remaining on the clock. Those criticisms are unwarranted, in my view, and driven largely by the need to justify the criticism of hiring Saturday in the first place.

2) The criticism about the timeout being needed due to the team being in disarray seems perfectly reasonable and fair if true (and it certainly seems to be as Saturday acknowledges this). He should be assessing their preparedness in making his strategic decisions, but it sounds like he was more intent on catching the Steelers off guard, and ignored or did not recognize the signs that the Colts weren’t ready themselves. Again, fair point, but it seems more like a garden-variety coaching mistake rather than some sort of proof that the guy is in over his head.

What irritates me is the narrative pushed by the media that Saturday is so inexperienced that he doesn’t even know enough to call a simple TO when time is melting away. He offered a perfectly reasonable explanation for his decisionmaking in this regard, and nobody has contradicted it. I'm NOT saying Saturday is the coaching answer, only that this is weak evidence that he's not.

3) As to taking a TO after the sack, I’d imagine you’d get the same answer – there is no need to do so as there was ample time left on the clock. Maybe the team was in disarray then too, but 36 seconds might be enough to clear things up. And don’t forget, while the Colts want to keep enough time on the clock to score, they also need to ensure that the Steelers don’t have enough time left to turn around and kick a game-winning FG.

4) Lastly, why did they take a TO before 4th down? Because its 4th down, and because there were only about 30 seconds left at the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 06:10 PM

Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
1) The media criticism leveled at Saturday following the game has almost exclusively been about the time remaining on the clock. Those criticisms are unwarranted, in my view, and driven largely by the need to justify the criticism of hiring Saturday in the first place.

2) The criticism about the timeout being needed due to the team being in disarray seems perfectly reasonable and fair if true (and it certainly seems to be as Saturday acknowledges this). He should be assessing their preparedness in making his strategic decisions, but it sounds like he was more intent on catching the Steelers off guard, and ignored or did not recognize the signs that the Colts weren’t ready themselves. Again, fair point, but it seems more like a garden-variety coaching mistake rather than some sort of proof that the guy is in over his head.

What irritates me is the narrative pushed by the media that Saturday is so inexperienced that he doesn’t even know enough to call a simple TO when time is melting away. He offered a perfectly reasonable explanation for his decisionmaking in this regard, and nobody has contradicted it. I'm NOT saying Saturday is the coaching answer, only that this is weak evidence that he's not.

3) As to taking a TO after the sack, I’d imagine you’d get the same answer – there is no need to do so as there was ample time left on the clock. Maybe the team was in disarray then too, but 36 seconds might be enough to clear things up. And don’t forget, while the Colts want to keep enough time on the clock to score, they also need to ensure that the Steelers don’t have enough time left to turn around and kick a game-winning FG.

4) Lastly, why did they take a TO before 4th down? Because its 4th down, and because there were only about 30 seconds left at the time.
Point 1 is the real reason we are hearing so much about it.
Chaka (12-01-2022)