ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

View Poll Results: With the third pick...
Barkley 7 14.29%
Chubb 17 34.69%
Nelson 3 6.12%
Trade back 21 42.86%
Other 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2018, 02:15 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I was just pointing out that the Pats did it w/o the stud RB. Do I want the stud RB, you bet I do.

Barlkely IMO, can be something special. But if Colts brass believes that a guy like Michel is just a notch below and a better value, than I would rather go that route.

Really good evaluation of Michel here:https://www.pewterreport.com/cover-3...el-sony-shake/

I really like the way he can make his cuts w/o gearing down.
I would much rather have Chubb+Michel than Barkley+best pass rusher available.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
FatDT (01-12-2018), Mr. Session (01-12-2018), Oldcolt (01-12-2018), YDFL Commish (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I'd be okay with a Joey Bosa type at 3. The production scares me a bit with him, though, especially how hot and cold he can be.
Bosa is an absolute stud who had similar concerns based on his college tape. If Chubb is a similar player, the Colts should take him and not even consider trading down.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:22 PM

Thanked 4,362 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
I don't disagree with you; however....

The Cheats have had the luxury of having a top defense for the majority of their run since 2006. This contributes to....

An effective offense centered around a stud QB. Yeah, I hate Tommy Cheater but he is a stud. This is fueled by....

An offensive line that, while not top five, has been solidly good for a long time. I think that Tommy Cheater's quick release and intelligence game plan design does a lot of this but....

Leading to the fact that RB, while getting 63% of the touches, is RARELY the focus of opposing defenses or opposing game plans. Early on, folks game planned to score on the Pats defense. Later, they game planned to stop Tommy Cheater. Rarely, if ever, did they gameplan to stop the run.

The Colts do not have a top defense, they don't have a stud QB (that might change but currently, and they don't have a demonstrated good game plan. That means that running back by committee will probably not work out much better than it has over the past couple of years for the Colts.

Also, our owner wants Barkley. He wants his next Edge. Big factor there.

I am with you, brother. I want a complete team with studs at QB, O-line, and on Defense before I want a stud RB.

However, if McDaniels' is our next HC, I see all the factors coming together at Barkley at #3 overall.

Walk Worthy,
I think much of the angst about our line had to do with how inept the coaching staff/plans were. We could do the quick, short passes the Cheats do, but our plan is to run the WRs all the way down the field, giving opponents a chance to get to whichever QB was under center that game. Moronic! Also, I do not believe any of them ever gave Luck any idea of what he should do better (IOW, developing him) between games/seasons. I think McDaniels would do better at both and a RB like Barkley would make it easier on the line and on Luck. That said, I would love to see us nab a great pass-rusher, if there is actually one in the draft this year. From what I read, there really isn't one. Now, some of that is due to the difference between the college offenses and the NFL offenses, so there may be a guy who has the skill, but never got to use it in college, which means he may slip a round or two.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 PM

I am with you, brother. I want a complete team with studs at QB, O-line, and on Defense before I want a stud RB.

However, if McDaniels' is our next HC, I see all the factors coming together at Barkley at #3 overall.

Walk Worthy,[/QUOTE]

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.......With all due respect Sherck, central to your analysis is the presumption that McDaniels is a slave to one mental model of how to design/run an offense. He very well may be.....I don't know. However, if Ballard is half the leader and assessor of talent that people like Polian purport him to be then I hope that a key criteria to his assessment is finding a leader that understands the long term key to winning is adaptability. It's no different than any other industry......you adapt or quickly become irrelevant. This, I think, was the central failing of Pagano (with all due respect to those that think coaching doesn't matter). He simply wouldn't (or I think couldn't) realize that stubborn enslavement to that "we just do what we do" mentality was a recipe for irrelevance as everyone else (including the AFC South) passes you by. I think the right question to be in for McDaniels is is he capable of flexible thinking?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1965southpaw For This Useful Post:
Butter (01-13-2018), Racehorse (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 03:38 PM

“Interesting thing @SeniorBowlPhil just told me and @HorowitzJason on @ESPNUonSiriusXM: The Broncos staff requested that Baker Mayfield be placed on their team at the Senior Bowl.“

If he makes a good enough impression, then maybe the Broncos will thin about trading up.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

I may be wrong but for some reason I get feeling Baker Mayfield might turn out to be Johnny Manziel part 2 ...
Old 01-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

I don't have a trade chart, but curious since Bills aren't sold on Tyrod Taylor as their QB if they might offer their two first round picks #21 and #22 for our #3 ?
Old 01-12-2018, 06:08 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
“Interesting thing @SeniorBowlPhil just told me and @HorowitzJason on @ESPNUonSiriusXM: The Broncos staff requested that Baker Mayfield be placed on their team at the Senior Bowl.“

If he makes a good enough impression, then maybe the Broncos will thin about trading up.
I think they would wait and see if he is there at 5. They will assume that cle and ny will take rosen and darnold. We are not taking a QB and cle picks at 4 and wont take 2 QBs. They would just have to hope no one else trades into 3 or 4 but I dont see any of those other QBs worth trading high for, maybe I am wrong...
Old 01-12-2018, 07:26 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
I may be wrong but for some reason I get feeling Baker Mayfield might turn out to be Johnny Manziel part 2 ...
You are very much wrong.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:38 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

If we got Chubb and Michel I wouldn't care much so else we draft. IMO Michel is this year's Kamara, but less overlooked.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (01-12-2018)