ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-05-2022, 12:41 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,660 Times in 960 Posts

To me, the one free agent the Colts should pull out all the stops for is Terron Armstead. Get him and don't let him go anywhere else. Yes the Colts will have the most expensive OL but they will also have the most effective OL.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
apballin (03-05-2022), YDFL Commish (03-06-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 03:49 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
To me, the one free agent the Colts should pull out all the stops for is Terron Armstead. Get him and don't let him go anywhere else. Yes the Colts will have the most expensive OL but they will also have the most effective OL.
Not the worst idea. Long term solution, could play a young Qb back there giving him time.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:38 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
I like Armstead. But what would our cap hit for OL be? I'm assuming he'll be looking for Trent Williams money at least. And Nelson's going to have a monster contract upcoming. Like $65m for starting OL?
Old 03-06-2022, 02:34 AM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I like Armstead. But what would our cap hit for OL be? I'm assuming he'll be looking for Trent Williams money at least. And Nelson's going to have a monster contract upcoming. Like $65m for starting OL?
Smart money is to trade Nelson for first+picks his huge contract as a guard is going to hurt the colts.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:44 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Smart money is to trade Nelson for first+picks his huge contract as a guard is going to hurt the colts.
Trading away the best player on the team? A guy who might get to Canton? You renegotiate his contract. Taylor will be less effective with a rookie at LG. If finding guys like Nelson was easy, everybody who have one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (03-07-2022), Oldcolt (03-06-2022), Racehorse (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 01:09 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Yes, it would be a large chunk of the cap, probably closer to $80 million, but it would also be the best OL in the NFL. All that cap money they're spending on OL now will be a waste if LT is a turnstile. If you're paying the premium, get the best, going cheap at the most important position and spending on everything else doesn't make sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
apballin (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 02:10 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Yes, it would be a large chunk of the cap, probably closer to $80 million, but it would also be the best OL in the NFL. All that cap money they're spending on OL now will be a waste if LT is a turnstile. If you're paying the premium, get the best, going cheap at the most important position and spending on everything else doesn't make sense.
That's a tough one because I agree with the assessment. That OL would be a true weapon and I wouldn't complain. But that wouldn't just be the most expensive OL in the league... That would be $25m more than second place. It would awesome to have, though

By the way, where does $80m come from? I remember reading that if we gave Armstead $20m/yr we'd be at around $55m total. I'd assume he wants more. So then if Nelson gets a $20m+ salary, wouldn't that be around $65m-$70m?

Last edited by ChaosTheory; 03-06-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:26 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

No no no on Armstead. and FUCK NO on trading Nelson. Christ does everyone forget the incredible change in this offensive line when Nelson became a part of it. At some point we need to find younger and cheaper alternative for this line, otherwise we will not have a well balanced team. I'm hoping we draft our new right guard (or use Pinter and draft a backup) to save money. I'm hoping for a one year contract for Fisher. I don't get the hate here. It was as if everyone thought we were getting a fully functional player 9 months after an Achilles. It was always made clear to me that coming all the way back from an Achilles injury is impossible the first year. You don't get your explosion or quickness back that fast. I felt that if he was just ok the first year (and I think he was, he was a monster in run blocking-all those who love JT should have been happy with this part of his play) we should stick with what I always thought was a two year plan with the guy. If the so called experts are correct we should see a big improvement in his pass blocking this year-a gamble but I think a reasonable one and one that wont break the bank. Ballard has been crap at getting defensive ends in the draft but has been excellent in finding offensive line talent in the draft. The long term answer should come via the draft in my opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (03-07-2022), Racehorse (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I'm torn about Nelson. Paying a guard LT money is crazy, especially when we don't have a solid LT. I'm also concerned about his injuries this past season especially the back one which, if I remember correctly, has become a nagging one. That being said, they will most likely resign him. Ballard said that much in a recent interview.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:40 PM
Post whore

Quote:
That's a tough one because I agree with the assessment. That OL would be a true weapon and I wouldn't complain. But that wouldn't just be the most expensive OL in the league... That would be $25m more than second place. It would awesome to have, though

By the way, where does $80m come from? I remember reading that if we gave Armstead $20m/yr we'd be at around $55m total. I'd assume he wants more. So then if Nelson gets a $20m+ salary, wouldn't that be around $65m-$70m?
I see, we're in the early years of Kelly's and Braden's deals, so the cap hit is much lower than the AAV, so yes it would be closer to the $65 million range.