ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-24-2022, 05:11 AM

Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,218 Posts
Default Reich, Ryan, Brady

Which of these dudes need to be replaced? I'm not sure of the answer here, but I do have an observation.

Since Sirani left and Brady took over the offense, other than JT and the running game, this offense has been putrid, while Siriani has the eagles flying high at 6-0.

Maybe replace them all?
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 06:23 AM

Thanked 4,405 Times in 2,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Which of these dudes need to be replaced? I'm not sure of the answer here, but I do have an observation.

Since Sirani left and Brady took over the offense, other than JT and the running game, this offense has been putrid, while Siriani has the eagles flying high at 6-0.

Maybe replace them all?
Probably should have fired Frank after the collapse to end the season and promoted Sirianni.
ChoppedWood (10-24-2022), CletusPyle (10-24-2022), rcubed (10-24-2022), Spike (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 07:46 AM

Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Probably should have fired Frank after the collapse to end the season and promoted Sirianni.

Sirianni was already the Head Coach of the Eagles at that point - this is his second year in Philly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (10-25-2022), YDFL Commish (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 10:49 AM

Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,218 Posts

Who the fuck is running this offense anyway? Back in the PM years, we knew it was PM.

Now, I don't fuk'n know. I doubt that it's Matt Ryan. Some of the most basic concepts in the NFL we struggle at or ignore.

Running Hynes up the middle is jus plain stupid. He get's tackled by a finger nail.

I hate to say this but Hynes would thrive in a BB offense. Draws and screens all day baby.

BTW...JT has sucked in pass protection all year. Makes me so much miss Edge...or even Addai.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
apballin (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 11:11 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:

Who the fuck is running this offense, anyway ??? Back in the Peyton Manning years, we knew that it was Peyton Manning.

Now, I don't fuk'n know ...... I doubt that it's Matt Ryan. Some of the most basic concepts in the NFL we struggle at or ignore.

Running Hynes up the middle is just plain stupid ...... he gets tackled by a finger nail.

I hate to say this, but Hynes would thrive in a Bill Belichick offense ...... he draws and screens all day, baby.

BTW ...... Jonathan Taylor has sucked in pass protection all year. He makes me so much miss Edgerrin James ...... or even Joseph Addai.

o

I would presume that it's either the offensive coordinator, or the head coach.

And if it is the offensive coordinator calling the plays, shouldn't he be the one that gets criticized in the game threads, as opposed to Reich ???

I'm sure that Reich makes all of the decisions as to whether or not to go for it on 4th down, but I was under the impression that if a quarterback does not call his own plays, the offensive coordinator does.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 10-24-2022, 11:38 AM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

I miss Siriani. Been saying it since he left.
Chromeburn (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 12:51 PM

HC Frank Reich: “Matt (Ryan)’s our quarterback. He had the two interceptions. The first one, the pick six right there, I didn’t help him out. I didn’t help him out. It was a second-and-long call the play before, I was arguing with the official over a facemask. Got the call in a little bit late. Normally I get the call in really fast. Got the call in a little bit later than I normally do and that came up in a pressure look. He wanted to check out of it because he knew the blitz was coming and we didn’t have time to check out of it. That was a tough situation to be in. Then the other one, I have to look at the tape on the other one. It’s like you said, it’s always a collective thing. We’ll look at the tape closely. I think Matt (Ryan)’s been making good decisions. I thought the O-line, I thought the pocket today was pretty good. I mean, we had a few sacks, but I thought all in all, the pocket was pretty good. And I thought in the run game, I thought we showed some positive signs.”

I guess we don’t trust a 15 year vet to check down out of a bad play…..inexcusable.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1965southpaw For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965southpaw View Post
I guess we don’t trust a 15 year vet to check down out of a bad play…..inexcusable.

You need to re-read the quote - that isn't what Reich said.

Reich said that he didn't give Ryan enough time on the play clock to audible to a different play on that particular snap.

Instead Ryan snapped the ball with 4 seconds left (according to the TV play clock) and went with the hot read - Campbell - on the original play that had been called.

Of course, Ryan could have called a timeout or just thrown the ball out of bounds as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
apballin (10-24-2022), ChaosTheory (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 02:25 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
You need to re-read the quote - that isn't what Reich said.

Reich said that he didn't give Ryan enough time on the play clock to audible to a different play on that particular snap.

Instead Ryan snapped the ball with 4 seconds left (according to the TV play clock) and went with the hot read - Campbell - on the original play that had been called.

Of course, Ryan could have called a timeout or just thrown the ball out of bounds as well.
Reich should've called the play sooner even though his arguing was understandable after Hines almost had his head unscrewed.

Ryan on the other hand is careless with the ball to a degree I did not expect. You don't have time to change the play... then call timeout, eat the grass, throw it to the 5th row... don't close your eyes and pray.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (10-24-2022), Oldcolt (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Maybe replace them all?

I will have to go back and look but I don't think the Colts have discussed the coaching staff's roles and responsibilities at length since Sirianni + others left. While Sirianni was here, the Colts had detailed what each individual's roles were. But since people have different strengths and weaknesses, the roles might have morphed a little bit over time with different coaches / coordinators now in the various jobs.

One observation that I have is that even when the Colts had been rotating through with a new QB every year, the offense usually started games off in sync as they were running through the first dozen or so scripted plays. They may not have always scored on the first + second drives but they generally appeared to be on the same page and could drive the ball with relative ease (although sometimes it took a few games at the start of the season to reach that point). This topic came up multiple times on this forum over the last several years - why did the offense start out clicking at the beginning of the game and then go downhill from there.

It seemed to be the case with Luck, Brissett, Rivers and Wentz. Until this year with Matt Ryan. So I think Ryan is / (or now) was part of the issue. There was a comment made in consecutive weeks by two different broadcasting crews (one was CBS, the other was FOX) that hinted at one potential issue that Ryan was working through - an issue that should have improved over the course of the season as Ryan had more playing time. Someone on the Colts (either a player, coach or both - it could have even been Matt Ryan himself) had to have made that remark to those broadcasting crews in the off camera pre-game interviews.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 10-24-2022 at 08:08 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
apballin (10-24-2022), ChoppedWood (10-24-2022), Oldcolt (10-24-2022), Racehorse (10-24-2022), Spike (10-24-2022)