ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-16-2021, 02:45 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post

Eason is an extreme long shot. He has the size and the arm, so fans like me can dream. COVID may have been good for his professional development, as it slowed it way down and gave him what is in reality a complete red-shirt year. By the end of next year, the Colts should have a better handle on who he can be. At least he doesn't appear to be an idiot like Leaf or Schlichter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post

I hope that you are right about this, but do we have any evidence of that yet ??? Again, the pandemic could have put a damper on a lot of stupid behavior.

o

I once saw a comedian joke about people who have lost a lot of weight after having gastric-bypass surgery. Sometimes people would say to them, "Wow, you lost a lot of weight. How did you do it ???

Ehhh, they had their stomach stapled in half.

He said that it was like a cocaine addict having their nose permanently shut with crazy glue, and people giving them compliments on their sobriety ....... "Hey, you have been clean for almost a year now. How have you been able to do it ???"

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 01-16-2021, 04:03 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

Eason will probably never be ready. He is a long shot and counting on him is silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post

Somebody said that about Brees, Brady, Starr, and fill in the blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

Sure, now go list all of the ones who didn't make the cut who teams did count on.

o

5 people won the lottery last year ...... yes, and 30 million other people played the lottery and didn't win.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 01-16-2021, 05:14 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,663 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
"Poor man's Burrow" was my initial assessment, but as I watched more, I started thinking a cross between collegiate Drew Brees with better athleticism/escapability and collegiate Russell Wilson with a weaker arm. That goes back to the pocket presence I mentioned before. He senses the rush very well, seems to already have an internal clock for when the ball should be out, shows good escapability in the pocket, and always seems to keep his eyes downfield looking for a receiver to come open when he escapes the rush and starts to look to run. The only flaw I see in his game is arm strength, but he can still throw 15 yard outs and 25 yard corners with zip. I think he could improve that like Brees did working with an NFL strength and conditioning team. I hope he stays the 5th ranked QB and the Colts get a shot at him at pick 21.

See, I don't agree with this, especially in a pandemic. Eason has had pretty much zero time to show the Colts what he can do in a live game situation. As a 4th round pick, there's zero pressure on the front office to make him "the guy", and Ballard has intentionally tempered expectations on him from day one I think for that exact reason. There's no doubt the team likes his talent, and so do other teams, but Ballard isn't going to put his job on the line for Eason unless he sees Eason perform well in line action. He could still be "the guy", but because of his draft status, it won't be preordained by the Colts.
One of the issues I see though is he doesn’t seem to fit the type of QB Reich likes. Shorter, slow, not a big arm. The ND state QB seems to fit Reich’s preferences.

As for Eason. I definitely think the pandemic hurt a lot of rookies this year. But Eason would still be pushing for reps if he was good. He might still develop if they are patient and give him time. But I see it as a long shot. Im not counting on him at all.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

5 people won the lottery last year ...... yes, and 30 million other people played the lottery and didn't win.

o
Well then, I guess the odds of being a great QB after having been drafted are a helluva lot better than winning the lottery.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:23 PM
Historian

Quote:
o

o

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post

Well then, I guess the odds of being a great QB after not having been drafted are a helluva lot better than winning the lottery.

o

Correct ...... but being a hell of a lot better than 5 in 30 million is not necessarily saying much in terms of odds.

o

Old 01-16-2021, 07:06 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
One of the issues I see though is he doesn’t seem to fit the type of QB Reich likes. Shorter, slow, not a big arm. The ND state QB seems to fit Reich’s preferences.

As for Eason. I definitely think the pandemic hurt a lot of rookies this year. But Eason would still be pushing for reps if he was good. He might still develop if they are patient and give him time. But I see it as a long shot. Im not counting on him at all.
Trey Lance isn't slow. I think Reich values athleticism in QBs. That would actually be the biggest argument against Eason working here, he's not much of an athlete, way more of your standard pocket QB. That said, Mac Jones is smaller, athletic, has good pocket presence, and is an accurate passer. I can't imagine the Colts putting on the Alabama film and not rating him very highly. Unfortunately, I think that's going to happen around the league, and he's going to catapult into the top 15.

I don't buy the argument that Eason not "pushing for reps" is any statement on his ability, and is much more a statement on his draft position. Look at the Dallas Cowboys QB situation for the past nearly two decades. It took an injury to Drew Bledsoe, their big free agent QB signing, for undrafted Tony Romo to get a chance, which he parlayed into a long career, only to get injured, giving 4th round pick Dak Prescott a chance. That's how a QB who doesn't have significant draft capital invested in them gets their chance in the NFL. That's the politics of it, and the situation in which Eason is currently stuck. That said, I'm not exactly counting on Eason, either, and it's pretty clear the team isn't. That's why I'm looking at possible solutions in this draft class, and hoping the Colts get lucky and have a guy fall to them that shouldn't. I understand Ballard wanting to get this right and being patient in doing so, but this QB search is eventually going to define his tenure as GM, for better or worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 07:52 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Gotta do something can’t have a revolving door of veteran washed up qbs in here year after year
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (01-17-2021), Racehorse (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 01:02 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,663 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Trey Lance isn't slow. I think Reich values athleticism in QBs. That would actually be the biggest argument against Eason working here, he's not much of an athlete, way more of your standard pocket QB. That said, Mac Jones is smaller, athletic, has good pocket presence, and is an accurate passer. I can't imagine the Colts putting on the Alabama film and not rating him very highly. Unfortunately, I think that's going to happen around the league, and he's going to catapult into the top 15.

I don't buy the argument that Eason not "pushing for reps" is any statement on his ability, and is much more a statement on his draft position. Look at the Dallas Cowboys QB situation for the past nearly two decades. It took an injury to Drew Bledsoe, their big free agent QB signing, for undrafted Tony Romo to get a chance, which he parlayed into a long career, only to get injured, giving 4th round pick Dak Prescott a chance. That's how a QB who doesn't have significant draft capital invested in them gets their chance in the NFL. That's the politics of it, and the situation in which Eason is currently stuck. That said, I'm not exactly counting on Eason, either, and it's pretty clear the team isn't. That's why I'm looking at possible solutions in this draft class, and hoping the Colts get lucky and have a guy fall to them that shouldn't. I understand Ballard wanting to get this right and being patient in doing so, but this QB search is eventually going to define his tenure as GM, for better or worse.
I didn’t call Trey Lance slow. Mac Jones isn’t a good athlete. Eason isnt either but he probably had the strongest arm in last years draft.

A good player forces you to play him. We need a QB. It isn’t politics. It’s not draft position. He isn’t that good. They would love for him to be the guy. Wouldn’t have to spend a draft pick and he’s on a rookie contract.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
o

Correct ...... but being a hell of a lot better than 5 in 30 million is not necessarily saying much in terms of odds.

o
30 million lottery tickets are purchased, none by me, cuz I don't like the odds. But hoping that Eason turns into a quality starter? I'd buy a ticket for that dream.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Gotta do something can’t have a revolving door of veteran washed up qbs in here year after year
Well said !