ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: How many wins for the Colts this season?
17 wins 0 0%
15 - 16 wins 0 0%
13 - 14 wins 1 2.86%
11 - 12 wins 5 14.29%
9 - 10 wins 3 8.57%
7 - 8 wins 12 34.29%
5 - 6 wins 12 34.29%
3 - 4 wins 1 2.86%
1 - 2 wins 1 2.86%
0 wins 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2023, 09:00 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

When you have a proverbial "Wildcard" quarterback (no pro experience, but talent and potential that is through the roof), the most important aspect of the team that is surrounding that Wildcard QB is the offensive line.

If Anthony Richardson gets the offensive line that was blocking for a 39 year-old, immobile Philip Rivers in 2020, he will have to work really hard to screw things up.

If Anthony Richardson gets the offensive line that was blocking for Matt Ryan in 2022 (ESPECIALLY in the first half of the season), it will very likely be a long, painful season for the team with the blue horseshoes on their helmets.

o

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post

But I believe that he makes the lines job easier especially the designed QB runs and RPO’s that eliminate half the field immediately. These guys wanna be the aggressors the don’t wanna sit in sumo positions for 5-7 seconds. Get to a spot and pancake the mfer in the way. I believe the will excel with an athletic QB and JT together.

o

Only to a certain extent ...... if the offensive line is God-awful, as it was for most of last year, the opponents will catch on quickly and focus on those designed runs. You have to have at least a modicum of a passing threat in order to make designed QB-runs effective on a regular basis.

Also, unless your quarterback has the strength of Jim Brown and Earl Campbell combined with the speed of Jesse Owens and Carl Lewis, the designed runs won't help if there are 3 or 4 defensive linemen/linebackers deep into the backfield less than 2 full seconds after the ball is snapped, as was the case for much of last year with Matt Ryan.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Hoopsdoc (05-14-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 11:16 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,139 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
o

Only to a certain extent ...... if the offensive line is God-awful, as it was for most of last year, the opponents will catch on quickly and focus on those designed runs. You have to have at least a modicum of a passing threat in order to make designed QB-runs effective on a regular basis.

Also, unless your quarterback has the strength of Jim Brown and Earl Campbell combined with the speed of Jesse Owens and Carl Lewis, the designed runs won't help if there are 3 or 4 defensive linemen/linebackers deep into the backfield less than 2 full seconds after the ball is snapped, as was the case for much of last year with Matt Ryan.

o
Matt Ryan couldn’t run or threaten to throw downfield he made it so easy for opposing defenses. A stationary QB that can’t throw deep. I believe they will have a passing threat and it will be because Taylor and Richardsons running threat will create 1 on 1 opportunities. They simplified things for Hurts and he excelled… look for the same thing here next season. The offense Steichen runs does the dictating last year that wasn’t the case at all
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (05-14-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 11:57 PM
Historian

Quote:

Matt Ryan couldn’t run or threaten to throw downfield he made it so easy for opposing defenses. A stationary QB that can’t throw deep. I believe they will have a passing threat and it will be because Taylor's and Richardson's running threat will create 1 on 1 opportunities. They simplified things for Hurts and he excelled… look for the same thing here next season. The offense Steichen runs does the dictating last year that wasn’t the case at all.

o

That doesn't address the offensive line, which is the most important component with an unproven, rookie quarterback. The offensive line was horrible last year. A unproven, rookie quarterback and an excellent running back won't mitigate a horrible offensive line. Play-calling, rollouts, and creativity go out the door when you have an awful offensive line.

If the Colts address and resolve that offensive line to make it at least serviceable in 2023, then Richardson will at least have a shot at being effective. If they don't, then he won't.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 05-14-2023, 09:45 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,139 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
o

That doesn't address the offensive line, which is the most important component with an unproven, rookie quarterback. The offensive line was horrible last year. A unproven, rookie quarterback and an excellent running back won't mitigate a horrible offensive line. Play-calling, rollouts, and creativity go out the door when you have an awful offensive line.

If the Colts address and resolve that offensive line to make it at least serviceable in 2023, then Richardson will at least have a shot at being effective. If they don't, then he won't.

o

It’s already been addressed, Rainman is the LT and the experience he gained at the end of the season Richardson will benefit from. The line is set the only position up for grabs is RG.

QB play was worse than the Oline play, line can’t block them all. When 11 guys are playing in the box it’s hopeless they were fighting a losing battle last year. There’s no way these guys just forgot how to play.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (05-14-2023), ukcolt (05-15-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 11:18 AM

Thanked 4,297 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
The OL that started the season with Pryor and Pinter is different than the OL that finished the season with Raimann and Fries. The latter was not in the conversation for worst in the league. It's tricky to assess that final unit because they got better when we were firing coaches weekly, benching and unbenching QB's, hiring Jeff-fucking-Saturday, shutting players down and trading, etc.

They could very realistically roll with the same lineup and look lightyears better. That said, I think we're only really talking about RG and again, there's a lot of time and it should be competitive even if we don't bring in a vet (which they still could do).
i agree completely. the oline should be better even if nobody changes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (05-14-2023), ukcolt (05-15-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 12:14 PM
Historian

Quote:

It’s already been addressed, Rainman is the LT and the experience he gained at the end of the season Richardson will benefit from. The line is set the only position up for grabs is RG.

The QB play was worse than the O-Line play, the line can’t block them all. When 11 guys are playing in the box it’s hopeless they were fighting a losing battle last year. There’s no way these guys just forgot how to play.

o

The offensive line was worse than the QB play last year, especially in the first half of the season. It was a minor miracle that the Colts were 3-4-1 after 8 games last year with the way that they played. If Philip Rivers had had that line blocking for him last year when he was playing for the Colts in 2020, they would have gone about 3-14 or 4-13.

If you are correct about the offensive line having been addressed, and they are at least adequate/serviceable, then Richardson at least has a chance to succeed ...... if, on the other hand, the offensive line plays as badly as they did last year, then our rookie quarterback will be in for a very long season.

So goes the offensive line, so goes the chances of Richardson and the Colts' offense to have a good season.

o

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 05-14-2023 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-14-2023, 01:34 PM

I picked 5-6 wins. I would not be shocked if they won 10, or just 3 games. The schedule by last years team standings is weak. Just like every year some teams will surprise, good or bad. So anything can happen.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:42 PM

Thanked 4,297 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2fish View Post
I picked 5-6 wins. I would not be shocked if they won 10, or just 3 games. The schedule by last years team standings is weak. Just like every year some teams will surprise, good or bad. So anything can happen.
i did the same. 5-6 wins but with the schedule, if we somehow found 10 wins i wouldn't be shocked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Lov2fish (05-14-2023), Racehorse (05-15-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 04:45 PM

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,489 Posts

I'm thinking 6. I'm just not optimistic like I have been the past few years, mostly after seeing the trainwreck of an OL last year.
Old 05-14-2023, 06:25 PM

Thanked 1,673 Times in 800 Posts

I’m predicting a mediocre outcome as AR learns, and hopefully a decent enough draft position to pick up Marvin Jr in the mid first round in ‘24