ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-03-2023, 02:37 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
If we draft 22 year olds, and Ballard has been here seven years, his oldest drafted players would not be 30 yet. Looks like Grigson is the one to point the fingers at.
You are technically correct. In a year or two you won't be. I hope you are correct about our pass rush. I can no longer muster any hope with this group, last two years did me in on having a glass half full. It is half empty until I see something different (Sunday maybe). I feel good about AR but it is hard for me to remember the last time we had a consistent pass rush. I cannot manage to get enthused about this team. I don't know if this is a rebuilding year, a transition year or are we actually trying to compete. I don't think the Colts know. A ton hangs on how good of a coach Steichen is. If we got lucky and he is exceptional, if he can put those athletes into positions where they can actually use their athletic abilities, in positions to succeed, all bets are off. Can he adapt to the players he has? I think so but we won't know that for sure for a while.
Old 09-03-2023, 02:59 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,645 Times in 953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
My thoughts are we have done a shit job of developing players. Seven years into Ballards regime not one player was decent enough to keep over 30. For me this is an indictment of Ballard, every year he drafts high end athletes that are not football players betting that his coaching staff can develop them. They can't so 7 years into his regime there are no gristled veterans, only year after year of having lots of potential with young pups. He cannot draft corner backs to save his life, the best one on the team he didn't want because he was to small and had to be talked into it, he has developed zero pass rushers, tight ends or receivers of any note. I am feeling negative this Sunday morning.
Ballard's first draft pick here is currently 27. Clearly, you have no agenda.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (09-03-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 03:19 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
If we draft 22 year olds, and Ballard has been here seven years, his oldest drafted players would not be 30 yet. Looks like Grigson is the one to point the fingers at.
Math is hard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (09-03-2023), Racehorse (09-04-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 05:09 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Math is hard.
Its FUNdemental.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
A ton hangs on how good of a coach Steichen is..
How does that really matter? He is the Head Coach....the head coach basically does jack shit in terms of coaching, he is now organising everything, and his underlings are the ones who are doing the coaching. We need to hope he has hired some great coaches, to maximise the talents we have at our disposal.

This is the fundamental thing that bugs me about top offensive co-ordinators or defensive co-ordinators getting head coaching jobs. The job is entirely different, what they have proven as assistant coaches, has very little to do with what they will need to be able to do in a head coaching capacity. Can you organise players and staff, can you make the right calls in the tough game situations (Time Outs, challenges etc, things you have never done before), can you work with the GM and owner and agree on the roster management, are you able to cede control of the other side of the ball effectively and let that coach, coach. The fact that you might have been a QB whisperer in a previous coaching stint, doesn't really help if you are no longer the QB coach and dealing with the mechanics and coaching the QB's on a daily basis.

Having an experienced staff with a mix of young innovative coaches are what i believe make a good head coach.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:46 PM

Thanked 1,332 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post

edit: Ballard's 3rd draft was pretty bad. Speed is the only left on the team. and I think Rock Ya-Sin is the only other one still playing.
Okereke and Campbell are on the Giants. Tell is on the Bungles IR after spending last year on their PS. But yeah '19 wasn't very good and IMO neither was '17 since we only have 1 player from each still on our roster.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:38 PM

Thanked 2,261 Times in 1,218 Posts

I don't want a bunch of 30 year olds. I'm not George Allen and I don't think it means shit.

Hell the Chiefs don't have a bunch of 30 year old players. But they have Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes.

Those are the keys to winning.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
My thoughts are we have done a shit job of developing players. Seven years into Ballards regime not one player was decent enough to keep over 30. For me this is an indictment of Ballard, every year he drafts high end athletes that are not football players betting that his coaching staff can develop them. They can't so 7 years into his regime there are no gristled veterans, only year after year of having lots of potential with young pups. He cannot draft corner backs to save his life, the best one on the team he didn't want because he was to small and had to be talked into it, he has developed zero pass rushers, tight ends or receivers of any note. I am feeling negative this Sunday morning.
If he's only been the draft pick guy for seven years, wouldn't't that mean that no draft picks made by Ballard have reached the age of 30?
Racehorse (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 01:27 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
If he's only been the draft pick guy for seven years, wouldn't't that mean that no draft picks made by Ballard have reached the age of 30?
Stop with the math already
Old 09-04-2023, 02:49 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Listen I had a brain fart. I was wrong, messed up because I didn't bother to count. Not the first not the last time this is going to happen. My point was lack of development of players that can serve as the veteran foundation for the team, a point I made about as poorly as can be made. I do appreciate that if I say something stupid it is sure to be pointed out. Like home.

Great head coaches rarely have losing seasons or lousy teams. There are tons of different ways to do it but they do it. They put their players in positions to succeed, set the tone for the team and are the ones who not only hire but supervise the assistant coaches. I think head coaches, along with the gm, are the two most important people in the organization. I think most of us are impressed with Steichen so far, I hope that we are after the season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (09-04-2023)