ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-07-2023, 08:24 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Doyel: When Anthony Richardson, Colts struggle, are we going to lash out & make it wo

Doyel: When Anthony Richardson, Colts struggle, are we going to lash out & make it worse?

Quote:

INDIANAPOLIS – We’re in this together, you and me. Who’s you? All of you. The Indianapolis Colts. Their fans. The media around here. All of us.

We.

This is another Anthony Richardson story.

He’s going to struggle this season. He’ll have moments where we see exactly why the Colts took him No. 4 overall in the 2023 NFL Draft, moments we saw in two preseason appearances, but aside from those occasional bolts of greatness he didn’t look good. He didn’t even look ready.

He’ll get better, but this season he’ll struggle a lot, and the Colts will lose – a lot.

This is where you and me enter the story. Yes, us. We need to make a pact, right here and now, to do everything we can for Richardson, for the Colts – for our city – to get through this season. Because it’s going to get unpleasant around here, and we can do one of two things: We can make it easier on Richardson.

Or we can make it worse.

This is a story you’ve always wanted to read, but nobody would dare write. Until now.

Aug 24, 2023; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA; Indianapolis Colts quarterback Anthony Richardson warms up before a game against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field.
Don't be like Phillies fans

Let’s do something I won’t suggest again: Let’s learn from fans of the Philadelphia Phillies.

They’re a brutal bunch up there, meatheads who confuse toughness with cruelty, proudly booing everything and everybody. Players go into Philadelphia talking publicly about how much they’ll love playing for such a “passionate” group, and they leave talking privately about how miserable it was.

Because in Philadelphia, where they want to win so badly it can suck the joy out of the process, fans make it harder on the home team. Fueled by booze and desperation and decades of self-fulfilling prophecy, they turn on the home team when it struggles.

Dumbest crowds in professional sports are in Philadelphia, just a notch dumber than those in New York, who also jump on struggling home players with both lungs, as if that’ll help. Sure, dummies, why not? A slumping player doesn’t want to improve for the sake of himself or his family or team, but here’s what will help:

SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE
News Across the U.S.
Access the digital replica of USA TODAY and more than 200 local newspapers with your subscription.
Click "Universal" in the eNewspaper
See how much his own fans despise him.

Brilliant!

But it’s what they do, booing their own, thinking that getting into the heads of a struggling player will somehow make things … better? You can’t talk sense into those people. Find one of the tweets I’ll be sharing about this story. Look at the mentions. You’ll be able to identify folks from Philadelphia and New York within a few words, and not because of their spelling, even though the kind of people who use Twitter to be cruel tend to be stupid, or billionaires.

We deal in facts here. So let’s talk about Trea Turner.

Yes, this is a story about Anthony Richardson.

OK, standing ovation for Trea Turner helped

On Aug. 4 the Phillies had lost eight of 14 games to fall out of the NL East race and slide to the second and final spot in the NL wild-card standings, just one-half game ahead of the field. One of the Phillies’ problems was Trea Turner, their $300 million shortstop signed in the offseason.

This is a story about Anthony Richardson, promise.

Turner was hitting .235, a staggering 67 points below his .302 career average. The Philadelphia crowd had been crushing him for months, getting angrier the more he struggled, a vicious cycle. By Aug. 4, 2023 the Phillies had dropped him to No. 8 in the lineup. He’d gone 3-for-29 on the seven-game road trip, a .103 batting average. He was bad and getting worse, and this was a disaster, and the Phillies were returning home that night to play the Pirates, and you just knew the crowd was going to give it to Turner.

Here he comes to the plate for the first time, in the second inning, and the crowd gives it to him:

A standing ovation.

It goes and goes, and in the batter’s box Turner is looking around in shock and in the crowd his mom has tears streaming down her face and here at my laptop, writing these words, I’m getting goosebumps. Because it was that special.

Here's what happened next: Turner got hot.

In 28 games since the standing ovation, Turner is hitting .362 with 12 home runs and 33 RBI. He’s playing like an MVP candidate and taking the Phillies along for the ride. They’ve gone 17-11 to move into first place in the NL wild card standings, 2½ games clear of the field. Turner did that, yes, but so did the fans of Philadelphia. They got this bright idea to get out of his head and do something different:

Support him.

Now there are billboards all over Philadelphia, messages to the city from Trea Turner:

Thank you, Philly.

We deal in facts here. So let’s talk about Anthony Richardson.

Stay calm: Anthony Richardson will struggle

Richardson completed just 53.8% of his passes in his one season as Florida’s starting quarterback and was worse in two 2023 NFL preseason games for the Colts: 13-for-29 with an interception and no touchdowns, a completion rate of 44.7%.

Richardson looked fine in his exhibition debut against Buffalo, going 7-for-12 with a handful of drops, but not in the next game against a Philadelphia defense resting its starters: 6-for-17 for 78 yards.

Doyel on Richardson's preseason debut: Rookie QB isn't the problem vs. Bills

Doyel on his second outing: Richardson shows massive talent, flaws vs. Philadelphia

It’ll be a struggle this season, is my point. Richardson’s a smart young man, but the mental work – reading complex NFL defenses – takes time. That’s how it was for the best quarterback in franchise history, Peyton Manning (56.7% accuracy, 28 interceptions as a rookie). That’s how it was for the active NFL quarterback compared most commonly to Richardson, Josh Allen of Buffalo (52.8% accuracy as a rookie). That’s how it will be for Richardson.

He’s going to have some bad days this season. How many games do the Colts play, 17? Richardson will have at least 10 bad days, and that’s me being nice.

This is where we have a choice to make, you and me. The first game or two, it’ll be easy. We’re still in the honeymoon phase with Richardson – you as fans, us in the media – and we know he’ll struggle. The first few games will come and go without incident. No booing from the crowd. No biting from the media.

But it’s a long season. How are you going to react in late November when the Colts are home against the Bucs and Richardson enters his 11th game with a completion rate of, say, 52%? By then the Colts will be 2-8 or 3-7, something like that, and the honeymoon will be over.

You going to boo? You’ll be tempted, especially if you’re booing general manager Chris Ballard or owner Jim Irsay for allowing this to happen. But here’s what I can tell you:

Richardson will hear those boos, and he’ll blame himself. He’s that kind of kid, the best kind, which means you can use his sense of obligation against him … or give him a break.

Same goes for me and the rest of us in the media, though let’s be honest: I’m the one most likely to bite. We all know that. I’m the either meanest media member in town, or the most honest. I know which description some of you would choose. Sigh.

Here’s our pact, OK? You go easy on Anthony Richardson this season. If you want to let Ballard or Irsay know you’re upset, find another way. A sign in the upper deck, a banner from an airplane, a call to a radio show. But don’t make Lucas Oil Stadium unpleasant for Richardson. That’s his home, and first impressions are forever impressions.

I’ll do my part, showing patien—

Showing patienc—

Sorry, struggling here.

OK fine, I’ll do my part, showing patience for Richardson, even when he goes – hypothetically speaking – 9-for-21 with three ugly interceptions during a game in December.

Let’s make Richardson feel welcome here, and not just for his sake. You do it for you, and I’ll do it for me. The best thing that can happen for you, a fan wanting to cheer a winner, and for me – a writer needing the home team to win big someday, because happy fans are reading fans – is for Richardson to survive this season and come back in 2024 ready to dominate .

By Josh Allen’s third season in Buffalo, the Bills were 13-3 and he was second in the MVP race. Peyton got there even quicker, going 13-3 and finishing second in the MVP race in his second season with the Colts.

What’s it going to be for Anthony Richardson? Depends mainly on him, of course. You and me, we’re not that important. But as the Good Ship Anthony Richardson sets sail Sunday against Jacksonville, remember this: We can put some wind in his face – or we can put it into his sails.

Old 09-07-2023, 09:15 AM

Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,174 Posts

Of course some of that will happen, there are fans who will be ready to bench him and tank for next year 2 snaps into the 2nd quarter of the first game.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:35 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,645 Times in 953 Posts

I'll believe Doyel showing patience when I see it. As for Richardson, not going to panic this season regardless of the results, but I'm hoping for a result similar to 2012. And if it goes the other way, the Caleb Williams/trade down debate will be interesting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (09-07-2023), Racehorse (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 02:43 PM

Thanked 1,667 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I'll believe Doyel showing patience when I see it. As for Richardson, not going to panic this season regardless of the results, but I'm hoping for a result similar to 2012. And if it goes the other way, the Caleb Williams/trade down debate will be interesting.
For real, Doyel will be the first to melt down and lash out
The Following User Says Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 05:39 PM

Thanked 4,405 Times in 2,531 Posts

Doyel is trash.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:57 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Doyel is trash.
Not all the time

Quote:

IHSAA, Indian Creek take kid's eligibility despite no precedents but one restraining order
Gregg Doyel
Indianapolis Star

TRAFALGAR – Kohlton Scoggan’s senior season of high school football is gone, taken from him at the urging of Indian Creek.

The IHSAA, seeing no evil and hearing no evil, issued a condescending, tone-deaf defense of Indian Creek's recommendation that Scoggan be ineligible after transferring to Greenwood. Hiding behind its 173-page rulebook, the IHSAA uncovered its eyes long enough to find the black-and-white in a story with 50 shades of gray:

A restraining order against a longtime member of the football staff, a 44-year-old Indian Creek graduate who’d been sending inappropriate phone messages to Kohlton’s 15-year-old sister. Teammates saying they were coerced by Indian Creek coach Casey Gillin into making statements he cited to justify kicking Kohlton off the team. The unsolved mystery of a smashed mailbox. Disputed text messages and a deleted social media post.

Accusations of retaliation and intimidation.

After all that, Kohlton Scoggan was kicked off the team in February. A standout linebacker for Indian Creek, he had dreams of playing small college football, perhaps at safety. He finished among state leaders in tackles as a junior. Another season like that, and who knows?

Kohlton won’t get another season, and without a football scholarship, he won't go to college. Not unless something changes, quickly, in the hearts and minds of the leaders at Indian Creek and the IHSAA, hiding behind words like “bylaws” and “guidelines” to resolve a case that transcends those words.

Is there a bylaw in the IHSAA rulebook that addresses a kid leaving a school two months after his sister obtained a restraining order against an assistant coach? Is there a guideline that says there is no gray area, no wiggle room, when that same kid, alleging intimidation by the coach, wants to play somewhere else?

Doyel in 2021: 'Broken' IHSAA transfer system leads to 'bullying' of kids, parents

SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE
News Across the U.S.
Access the digital replica of USA TODAY and more than 200 local newspapers with your subscription.
Click "Universal" in the eNewspaper
IHSAA volleyball ruling refutes NCAA, Olympic Games, NFHS – even IHSAA (indystar.com)

This isn’t all you need to know about the way Indian Creek and the IHSAA have handled the transfer request of Kohlton Scoggan, but it’s a start.

First, this email from Indian Creek principal Luke Skobel, after I’d requested comment from him, Gillin and Indian Creek athletic director Derek Perry following my reading of the roughly 200 pages of official IHSAA transcripts.

“Thank you for reaching out to us about your story about a former Indian Creek student,” Skobel wrote. “Because of privacy issues, we cannot provide details about any student past or present. Speaking generally, we take very seriously the guidelines given to us by IHSAA. Anytime a transfer request comes to us, we answer the questions honestly, follow the bylaws, and adhere to any rulings made by the IHSAA and DOE (case review panel).”

Readers, don’t let him do that. Skobel passed the buck to the IHSAA, but its ruling was made at the request of Indian Creek, which argued strenuously and perhaps even unfairly – more on that later – against Scoggan’s request for varsity eligibility at Greenwood. And don't let Skobel pretend the restraining order doesn't exist.

My email in response asked Skobel for the bylaw about a transferring player’s 15-year-old sister getting inappropriate phone messages from an assistant coach, and the falling dominoes that led to the player's transfer.

"There’s no bylaw for that," I concluded in my email to Skobel. "That’s where the heart comes in. Can we talk about hearts then?"

Indian Creek's response to that: Nothing.

Second, these words from the Case Review Panel, a panel established by the IHSAA to be the second and final appeal of the transfer process, justifying holding Kohlton Scoggan to the same standard as any kid seeking a transfer for athletic reasons. As if the arguments on his behalf, most supported by a paper trail – namely the restraining order against the 2022 Indian Creek coach, but there’s more – are irrelevant.

“While a student could claim that not playing varsity may result in harm or burden to the student,” the panel wrote in its condescending final rejection, “Kohlton has provided no evidence that his inability to participate at the varsity level will cause him to suffer unduly or be a true burden to him. (He) will be able to participate in athletics at Greenwood for his senior year, as the eligibility limitation is only until October 28, 2023.”

Readers, don't let the IHSAA do that.

Only until Oct. 28? Greenwood’s regular season ends two weeks earlier, on Oct. 13.

Hey, Indiana, you comfortable with Indian Creek and the IHSAA doing this? What if Kohlton Scoggan were your son?

What if his 15-year-old sister were your daughter?

'If I was 16 I would date u and more lol'

It starts with those words on Snapchat in late December, from an Indian Creek assistant football coach to Kohlton’s sister, a manager on the football team last year. I’m not naming the coach out of concern for his own kid.

4:26 p.m.: If I was 16 I would date u and more lol

4:30 p.m.: I never get excitement until you snap me

Kohlton’s sister showed the messages to Kohlton, who told his parents, who told the school. Skobel says he acted accordingly.

“I immediately contacted the SRO (Indian Creek’s school resource officer), local law enforcement and department of child services,” Skobel wrote in his statement to the IHSAA, part of Scoggan’s transfer process, “and decided to remove (the assistant coach) from the football staff … I checked with law enforcement (and) was told the assistant coach had used poor judgment but had not done anything criminal.”

Kohlton’s parents asked Skobel to ban the now-former coach from campus, but Skobel declined.

“I did inform the parents they could pursue a restraining order,” Skobel wrote.

The parents obtained that restraining order Jan. 23 from a Johnson Superior Court judge, who found the coach “represents a credible threat to the safety of the (girl).”

Skobel then issued a letter of no trespassing to the former coach.

The father of Kohlton and his sister, as angry as you can imagine – and furious that he needed a restraining order to prevent the coach from attending games near his daughter – posted the restraining order on Facebook. It made a large noise in the small town of Trafalgar, and Joshua Scoggan deleted the post a day later.

But the damage, according to Kohlton and his family, was already done.

The damage to Kohlton, that is.

'They made me sign some random paper'

In the words of Kohlton Scoggan, in his statement to the IHSAA during his appeal for eligibility at Greenwood High:

“(Coach Gillin) began being different to me (at) weightlifting class at school. He would take pictures of me in between sets to try and say I wasn’t doing what I was supposed to be doing. Before this incident I was getting 100% on my participation points in (class) and after this happened it started going down and I was doing the same thing I would always do.

“He told one of my best friends at the time to be careful who he hangs out with and don’t be influenced by bad people. He would always call me or text me just to ask if I’m coming to after school weights. … Since our protective order got approved he hasn’t contacted me one time.

“It was just a few weeks after this where I got accused of destroying a mailbox.”

Right. The mailbox. The details of that story can be as long or short as you want – I’ve read everything the IHSAA has on it – but here’s my understanding: Someone destroyed the mailbox of an Indian Creek family in early February. With Kohlton already at the center of so much drama, teammates teased him that he’d done it. Eventually Kohlton went along with the joke, saying sure, he’d done that.

“He was kidding,” his father says.

Writes Kohlton in his IHSAA paperwork:

“The day I got accused of this (Coach Gillin) followed me around the entire time and listened to every conversation I had. This made me very uncomfortable and even my friends noticed it and were saying stuff to me.”

The family met with Skobel, who said he couldn’t determine who destroyed the mailbox.

“I did notify (Kohlton’s mother) that I was not holding Kohlton responsible for the incident,” Skobel wrote in his IHSAA statement, “as I was still unclear if he was the vandal or not.”

That didn’t stop Skobel’s football coach, Gillin, from citing the mailbox incident – during a meeting with Kohlton’s family in February – as one of his reasons for removing Kohlton from the team. Nor did it stop Indian Creek from repeatedly citing the mailbox incident in its statements to the IHSAA, arguing against his eligibility at Greenwood. Gillin obtained statements from a handful of players, saying Kohlton had told them he’d destroyed the mailbox. The IHSAA put those statements into the official record.

Kohlton received text messages from four of those players, all saying the same thing: Gillin “made” them do it.

Text from one teammate: “They just had me say I heard someone talk about hitting a mailbox in the locker room. … Had no choice. They made me and (three other teammates).”

Text from another: “I thought you weren’t the one who did it … they made me sign some random paper.”

Pictures of those text messages aren't in the official record, in which IHSAA commissioner Paul Neidig is quoted accusing the Scoggan family of "probably one of the most egregious, inappropriate things I've seen in my time ... tampering with a witness."

Apparently the earlier request to those same players, from the Indian Creek coach who controls their playing time, isn’t tampering with a witness.

Other evidence the IHSAA didn't allow into the official record, according to Brittany Fisher, Kholton's mother, and supported by a reference in the official transcript: A series of text messages from Casey Gillin to Kohlton, before their relationship went south, asking Kohlton to try to recruit a kid from Franklin High to Indian Creek – and coaching Kohlton on what to tell the Franklin kid to put on his transfer form, so he could have immediate eligibility.

Irony, you call that.

Two main characters, friends for 25 years

Why does it matter so much to Indian Creek whether Kohlton Scoggan plays his senior season at Greenwood? Neither the principal, AD nor coach would speak with me, other than the email from Skobel, which prevented me from asking about the connection the former coach – the subject of the restraining order – has to Derek Perry, the AD. They attended school together in the 1990s, and almost 30 years later Perry has utilized his classmate in a number of roles, not just football assistant.

Perhaps that 25-year friendship explains why, as Kohlton Scoggan wrote in his statement to the IHSAA, “(Coach Gillin) began being different to me (after) our protective order got approved.”

Whatever the case, Indian Creek and the IHSAA decided to keep Scoggan off the field this year at Greenwood after a process that doesn’t smack of fair play: Indian Creek cherry-picking from the available facts to support its recommendation against eligibility and the IHSAA going along with it, even blocking exculpatory testimony – the text messages from teammates saying “they made me” accuse Scoggan – regarding the mailbox incident.

Meanwhile, the potential impact of an Indian Creek assistant coach sending inappropriate messages to Kohlton’s sister one month before his decision to transfer has been glossed over. In the IHSAA’s own words – in its bylaws, naturally – the IHSAA noted in its rejection of Kohlton’s appeal that a student-athlete must show a unique, compelling reason beyond athletics for the transfer.

“Here,” the IHSAA decided, “there was no unique, compelling or bad conditions at Indian Creek which drove Kohlton to leave Indian Creek.”

What exactly is the IHSAA saying here?

Is an assistant coach sending inappropriate messages to a 15-year-old girl not bad?

Is the family of the girl, whose brother plays football, getting a restraining order against that coach not unique?

Is the head coach, after having that coach removed from his staff, soon kicking the girl’s brother off the team not compelling?

IHSAA commissioner Paul Neidig, declining to go deeply into the specifics of this case for privacy reasons, said the IHSAA does its best with “really, really tough cases.”

“There is room within the bylaws under rule 17-8.1 for a waiver (on behalf of) the student-athlete,” he says. “It has to be something egregious that is completely without the control of the student-athlete, and I understand there could be some debate there on this one. But we have granted waivers if they meet the standard, and we’ve even changed a school’s position. Those cases, you or nobody else ever sees.”

Fair point.

'To me it looked like a set-up'

For years the IHSAA transfer process has been described by state officials as "unprofessional,” “insulting,” “condescending” and “bullying,” and that’s not by parents or kids or even the local newspaper. That’s by members of the IHSAA’s own Case Review Panel, a nine-person mixture of parents, administrators and state Department of Education officials.

A Marion County Superior Court judge has accused IHSAA staff members of “bad faith and bullying" during the transfer process. Several judges have overturned egregious eligibility rulings against the student, many of them after an athlete’s family has hired an attorney to be in the IHSAA conference room to witness the hearings.

The IHSAA addressed that last year … by removing lawyers from the IHSAA conference room for hearings. They can sit outside the closed door, but cannot see or hear what is going on inside.

Seriously.

That’s a large-angle view of what can feel like a kangaroo court. Take a smaller look, from the perspective of Kohlton’s father, Joshua, a retired construction worker who showed up at the IHSAA offices on North Meridian Street on May 2 for Kohlton’s initial appeal.

“I’d never been to the IHSAA – this was my first experience,” Joshua Scoggan says. “They let me in there, and (AD) Derek Perry, (principal) Luke Skobel and (coach) Casey Gillin are already sitting in this guy’s office, talking like old friends. I’m like, ‘What the (heck)? I flipped out. That dude was (IHSAA assistant commissioner) Brian Lewis.”

In the hearing, Joshua Scoggan says, “Brian Lewis was asking questions, and he wasn’t even finished before (Indian Creek officials) were already answering. ... They said (Kohlton’s transfer) was denied, and said it was for athletic reasons. Not that it was based on my son got retaliated upon, targeted, bullied because I exposed one of their coaches (for acting inappropriately) and you guys didn’t like it so you kicked my son off the team.”

The perspective of Kohlton’s mother, Brittany Fisher:

“We all walked in,” she says, “and I was like, ‘What the hell? I thought the IHSAA was supposed to be on the kid’s side. Why is he talking to the school that doesn’t want Kohlton to play?' To me it looked like it was a set-up.”

At the hearing, conducted around a large conference table, Lewis and Neidig of the IHSAA sat next to the Indian Creek coach, opposite Kohlton and his family. Greenwood officials were in a corner. The view is intimidating.

"It's like we're on trial," Brittany Fisher says.

Neidig’s response:

“I understand the parents had a concern with Mr. Lewis meeting with Indian Creek,” he says. “We’ve worked really hard to change the process and make it less intimidating. When parents come in, I meet with them and go over the entire process and what they can expect for the day, and assistant commissioners meet with the sending school and receiving school to go over the process.

“I understand what (Kohlton’s) mom perceived that to be, but I can assure you we were not trying to set a ‘gotcha’ for parents.”

Meanwhile, Kohlton Scoggan is attending Greenwood, unable to play or even practice. The IHSAA granted him partial eligibility, which means he can play on the junior varsity, but he’s a senior. Greenwood’s coaches have told Kohlton they can’t give those developmental snaps to a senior, and you understand that. Greenwood is not the problem here.

The 2023 high school season rolls along. Greenwood has played three of its nine regular-season games, including a 42-28 victory against Indian Creek on Aug. 25, but the regular season ends Oct. 13 – two weeks before Kohlton becomes eligible.

“Kohlton expressed to the IHSAA he just wanted to play in college,” says Brittany, a USPS rural carrier and single mother of six. “That’s all he wanted in all of this. He said if he doesn’t play football he’s not going to college. We can’t afford it.”

Without intervention from a judge or the state Department of Education, Kohlton Scoggan’s life trajectory has been altered by events out of his control – compelling, bad and unique events triggered by an assistant coach sending inappropriate Snapchat messages to his 15-year-old sister.

Are we OK with this, Indiana?