ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-28-2024, 04:04 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

Latu: Shame on me for hardly considering him. I thought there was no middle ground: either he would go way ahead of us, or teams (Colts included) would let him drop way past us (medical).

We really lucked out that offense went 1-14 (unbelievable). Our DL was waiting for that cherry on top: the alpha rusher. Now it looks absolutely stacked.

Mitchell: Top 5 receiver, 1st-round talent... we not only managed to snag him at #52, but we picked up two more picks in the process. If forget who, but they said there are three WR's in the draft with the "Alpha" tag... Harrison, Nabers, and Mitchell*.

The asterisk is because the first two are already there and Mitchell has the potential. Great gamble to take. I know Ballard defended him hard, which is good. But I am absolutely cautious about this kid concerning his buy-in and team focus. If Wayne and Steichen connect with him, he'll be lights out.

Goncalves: Consider the OL that went ahead of him and what was behind him. I think that's why Ballard moved up to get him (I heard SEA was after him). Dude is Quenton Nelson-big. He's not Nelson-athletic, but it seems his testing was affected by his injury. Plays everywhere which is great short-term for depth and allows an opportunity to graduate into a starting role at a couple of spots.

Botolini: Double down on OL depth. Here's the traits/RAS guy. Seems along the lines of the Raimann, Freeland, Witt method. If he hits, Ryan Kelly decision goes from difficult to simple.

----

Still looking more at the rest of the guys. Gould looks promising for returns. Carlies and Simpson compare well to Leonard and Moore as far as measurables. Don't know the other guys yet.

Overall, DL and OL look fucking stacked. Perfectly in line with Ballard and Steichen's inside-out approach. Ballard said pre-draft that he was more concerned with protection for AR than weapons. He also talked about our CB's from '23 to '24 similarly to how he talked about our OL from '22 to '23.

I think the draft reflected that. AR has everything he could ask for. If he falls flat or can't stay healthy, none of this matters. If he shows up, this team will make some serious noise.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
apballin (04-28-2024), BCN#1 (04-30-2024), CletusPyle (04-28-2024), Dewey 5 (04-29-2024), IndyNorm (04-28-2024), Racehorse (04-28-2024), YDFL Commish (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 06:43 PM

I like the players we selected, but do still worry that we passed on Quinyon Mitchell, feel that he could have been a huge difference maker. By that i mean providing a significant upgrade to what we already have at a position. The DE group were not terrible last year, hopefully we make a big jump in pressures on a more consistent basis and that then makes the defensive backs lives that much easier.

Other than the fact that the Colts chose not to find a bona fide starting calibre CB, a starting free safety, and a backup RB, i feel that we addressed all areas of need going into the draft. But i suspect we will be signing a free agent or two in the coming weeks, to fill those potential voids. We already have options there, the cupboard is not bare, but upgrades at those three positions in my opinion are still on the cards.

To me this is as strong a roster as the Colts have had in many years, both from a starter point of a view and overall depth. We could be cutting 2 or 3 draft picks at final roster cut down, and it wouldn't be surprising if we also let go a few draft picks from last year as well.

This roster is still going to be very young, and may need another year to reach their full potential, but i am excited to see what 2024 may bring.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-28-2024), YDFL Commish (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:07 PM

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post

This roster is still going to be very young, and may need another year to reach their full potential, but i am excited to see what 2024 may bring.
The future is now! There is no more next years team.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:36 PM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,175 Posts

I like it, improved pass rush and deep threats in the passing game. Preparing to rebuild the line with a few guys nearing the end of careers and ensuring depth. Don't mind the fliers on the LB and Dbs, late and seem like they have potential. Hopefully, we see a vet added to the secondary soon and I think we look competitive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (04-29-2024), Racehorse (04-29-2024), YDFL Commish (04-28-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
The future is now! There is no more next years team.
Agree an exciting 2024 should be in store. But do i really think we are Superbowl ready, nah, I think that is asking an awful lot of Richardson, who lets be honest is really still going through his rookie year again. This is a significant growing season with a supporting cast that should enable the Colts to make the Playoffs. If Richardson is all go and is as good as we hope him to be, then yes maybe we are a Superbowl contender.

The AFC South is going to be tough though, Stroud alone makes this really competitive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (04-30-2024), CletusPyle (04-29-2024), Racehorse (04-29-2024), sherck (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 08:42 AM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

I love our draft class.

Ballard has found his, hopefully, alpha pass rusher whom if he produces will transform the defense. Think T.J. Watt on last year's Colt defense! I know, I know, too early but Latu has twitch!

Another stud pass catching option to go with a WR corps I already liked (MPJ, Pierce and Downs primarily but I also like Montgomery and Dulin) and then bringing in the big uglies at a time that was right.

The Colts have to make decisions on Kelly, Fries and Pinter in 2025. Having their potential replacements in house already makes those discussions easier to have in either re-signing cheaper or letting them walk. I honestly would not be shocked to see one or two higher O-Linemen drafted next season as well. Ballard cannot let Richardson take the kind of punishment that Luck did.

I know it all rides on Richardson's big arm and Taylor's legs but I think this draft helps try to maximize those assets! I love it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (04-30-2024), CletusPyle (04-29-2024), Racehorse (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 08:51 AM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

And, as someone else noted, I also hope that we add a vet CB soon in free agency to help shore up our secondary.

Available:

Xavien Howard, MIA, 31 years old
J.C. Howard, NE, 28 years old
Adoree' Jackson, nYG, 29 years old
Cameron Sutton, DET, 29 years old
Stephon Gilmore, DAL, 33 years old
Patrick Peterson, PIT, 34 years old
Steven Nelson, HOU, 31 years old
Keion Crossen, NYG, 28 years old
K'Waun Williams, DEN, 33 years old
Tre Herndon, JAC, 28 years old
Eli Apple, MIA, 29 years old
Justin Bethel, MIA, 34 years old
Fabian Moreau, DEN, 30 years old
Tre Flowers, ALT, 31 years old

Surely, somewhere in that pile of names is someone whom team leadership thinks can come in and help strengthen our CB corps.

On our roster now:

Kenny Moore, starting nickle CB
Julius Bents, starting outside CB
Chris Lammons,
Dallis Flowers, starting outside CB ?
Darrell Baker Jr
Jaylon Jones, starting outside CB ?
Ameer Speed
Micah Abraham

So, not bare but could use another vet body or two.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (04-29-2024), Dewey 5 (04-29-2024), Racehorse (04-29-2024), rm1369 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 09:51 AM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

I don't want to expect too much from Latu, but with what he has been through and for him to come back so successfully, this is the leader this team has been missing on defense! His leadership abilities may be as important as his performance on the field! We all know this is going to be a potent offense, if the defense can be top 10 we are going to win a lot of games!
Racehorse (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 09:54 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,663 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
And, as someone else noted, I also hope that we add a vet CB soon in free agency to help shore up our secondary.

Available:

Xavien Howard, MIA, 31 years old
J.C. Howard, NE, 28 years old
Adoree' Jackson, nYG, 29 years old
Cameron Sutton, DET, 29 years old
Stephon Gilmore, DAL, 33 years old
Patrick Peterson, PIT, 34 years old
Steven Nelson, HOU, 31 years old
Keion Crossen, NYG, 28 years old
K'Waun Williams, DEN, 33 years old
Tre Herndon, JAC, 28 years old
Eli Apple, MIA, 29 years old
Justin Bethel, MIA, 34 years old
Fabian Moreau, DEN, 30 years old
Tre Flowers, ALT, 31 years old

Surely, somewhere in that pile of names is someone whom team leadership thinks can come in and help strengthen our CB corps.

On our roster now:

Kenny Moore, starting nickle CB
Julius Bents, starting outside CB
Chris Lammons,
Dallis Flowers, starting outside CB ?
Darrell Baker Jr
Jaylon Jones, starting outside CB ?
Ameer Speed
Micah Abraham

So, not bare but could use another vet body or two.
Jaylin Simpson will likely be a CB for the Colts as well. I don't know that any of those veterans will add anything to the Colts CB room because they're all more name than on field production at this point.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:30 AM

Very happy with the draft - especially first 4 picks.

I didn’t expect Latu to be a Ballard option. I love that he’s different than the typical Ballard traits heavy pick at the position. Getting the best pass rusher in a draft is pretty much always a good move.

Mitchel is a high ceiling good value pick at a position of need.

Getting OL depth is always good. Having options with the upcoming decisions on the OL is great.

As others have said, I’d like to see a vet or two in the secondary. Ballard has faith in the young guys they have, but he needs to give the coaching staff some options and give the young guys some competition.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-29-2024)