ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 09-03-2019, 06:50 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workhorse View Post
Ya, I’m the same workhorse from the first coltfreaks message board from years and years ago. It took a while for someone to approve me getting back in when the message board moved. 😳
Always nice to have another horse around.
Luck4Reich (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Pretty sure it is guaranteed against not getting paid it.
Perhaps, but guarantees in NFL contracts aren't always what they appear to be. Colin Kaepernick famously had $61M in guaranteed money in his 2014 contract with the 49ers, but ultimately received much less because much of the money was "guaranteed" against injury only. Not saying that's what happened here, but only that we won't know the full extent of the Colts commitment until we see all of the details.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:00 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
A bit rich for my blood. I would have just assumed wait to see how he does before talking extension with him, given his limited track record (he threw only 4 passes all last year). However, listening to some of your comments I can see the rationale for doing it now I guess. That said, as we sit here today, I would have pegged his value on a new two-year contract at about $8-10 million per, particularly since we already had him locked in at $2-3 million this year.

But the Colts certainly know him better than I do, and I guess I could look at it as a positive that they like him enough to pay him that much (there’s also the lingering issue that we don’t know all the contract details yet, specifically what the $20 million is guaranteed against).
-Bridgewater got $7.5MM from the Saints to back up Brees
-Foles got $22MM/year from the Jags to start
-Mike Glennon got $15MM/year from the Bears before they drafted Trubisky

$15MM is the going rate for a low end starter.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:21 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

To me it is a great move because of the circumstances this team finds itself in. Whatever you think about Luck retiring, it had to be at some level a gut punch to this team. By giving Jacoby this contract (which they can easily afford) they get rid of a possible distraction if Brissett does as well as they think he will (ie. the starting qb making less than a ton of guys on the team including his backup), they put a stamp on the Luck era being over, and they 'put their money where their mouth was' thus doing everything in their power to put the focus on this season and winning it all. It sends a message that this regime knows how to take care of it's players (Jacoby has shown that he is all about the team the way he handled Luck's absence and Luck coming back-I'm assuming the Colts rewarded him for that among other things), should be of help in upping the emotional state of the team and seems to me at least to be a move of a front office that doesn't panic and know what in the hell they are doing.

One last thing about Ballard. Brissett for Dorsett is beginning to have the look of a pretty good trade isn't it?

Last edited by Oldcolt; 09-03-2019 at 10:27 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Hoopsdoc (09-03-2019), Racehorse (09-03-2019), VeveJones007 (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
-Bridgewater got $7.5MM from the Saints to back up Brees
-Foles got $22MM/year from the Jags to start
-Mike Glennon got $15MM/year from the Bears before they drafted Trubisky

$15MM is the going rate for a low end starter.
That might be the case, but we ripped up a one-year $2M-3M deal and apparently replaced it with a two-year $30M deal. That was my point.

If we just added another year at the low end starter rate you mentioned of $15M I probably wouldn't complain too much.

Last edited by Chaka; 09-03-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:51 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
That might be the case, but we ripped up a one-year $2M-3M deal and apparently replaced it with a two-year $30M deal. That was my point.

If we just added another year at the low end starter rate you mentioned of $15M I probably wouldn't complain too much.
Its two years. He would be playing for us this year regardless unless he completely shits the bed. So he gets a big raise this year (I think its $20M this year) which is no biggie to our cap space. If he plays well then its worth it.

We are not locked in long term. If he is playing at a high level then we get him relativley cheap next year. If not or if they see him as a stop gap, then draft someone and the new QB plays behind brisset for a year.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:22 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:

None of that matters. What is the downside? They used up a drop of the ocean of cap space they have available to them in 2020?
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
None of that matters. What is the downside? They used up a drop of the ocean of cap space they have available to them in 2020?
The downside is that we spend $30M on someone who flames out. I don’t know about you, but I consider $30M to be a lot of money, even in the context of today's NFL.

Look, I know there's this celebratory attitude around here and in the media that they’ve signed Brissett to this deal, but I don’t really get it. What has Brissett done so far to make you think that he’s deserving of a $30M contract? I mean, if you read what everyone was saying here during the preseason, Brissett is not a very good QB. Really - take a minute and go back and read the commentary about Brissett PRIOR to Luck’s retirement, and tell me why we should be excited to see the team commit so much to him. I'll help you get started, here are a couple gems I found with just a quick search:

Here's GBB on Brissett:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
2. This isn't a new opinion for me for those who know me, but: Jacoby Brissett isn't very good. That is not basing off one preseason game. That's basing off a world in which people insist he has 2nd round trade value. He doesn't. He's slow to get the ball out and not accurate enough to be a full-time starting QB. Great guy, great arm and one of the better QB2s in the league. BUT that reinforces the gap between QB1s and QB2s, let alone between Luck and Brissett.
And here's omahacolt's recent comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
He isn’t very good. 4000 yards and 22 tds would be good. Great really. We need to find a new qb
I have nothing against Brissett and I want him to succeed like the everyone else here, but I'm just not ready to join the backslapping party yet. I certainly can't anoint him the next Dak Prescott, as some of you have suggested, based upon what he's shown so far. Prescott had 22TD-8INTs and a 96.7 QB rating last year! Bottom line, Brissett needs to show more on the field before I can get excited about him being our QB.

The one thing he has going for him is that he seems to have the confidence of the Colts management, so blind faith in management might justify the excitement, but little else.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:41 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

He not only has the confidence of the Colts management but the players as well. There wasnt anyone available at this point. I think Ballard did the right thing.

I dont think Brissett is that good either. Can he play good enough to rally a team that has the talent and a team that will rally around him? I hope so and I think so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Coltsfever (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 08:42 PM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
The downside is that we spend $30M on someone who flames out. I don’t know about you, but I consider $30M to be a lot of money, even in the context of today's NFL.

Look, I know there's this celebratory attitude around here and in the media that they’ve signed Brissett to this deal, but I don’t really get it. What has Brissett done so far to make you think that he’s deserving of a $30M contract? I mean, if you read what everyone was saying here during the preseason, Brissett is not a very good QB. Really - take a minute and go back and read the commentary about Brissett PRIOR to Luck’s retirement, and tell me why we should be excited to see the team commit so much to him. I'll help you get started, here are a couple gems I found with just a quick search:

Here's GBB on Brissett:

And here's omahacolt's recent comment:

I have nothing against Brissett and I want him to succeed like the everyone else here, but I'm just not ready to join the backslapping party yet. I certainly can't anoint him the next Dak Prescott, as some of you have suggested, based upon what he's shown so far. Prescott had 22TD-8INTs and a 96.7 QB rating last year! Bottom line, Brissett needs to show more on the field before I can get excited about him being our QB.

The one thing he has going for him is that he seems to have the confidence of the Colts management, so blind faith in management might justify the excitement, but little else.
I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m certainly not anointing him. Even if the team only believes he’s a stop gap until they find someone else, they’ll need him at least one more year. So signing him now removes that worry, plus they’re using cap space that was going unused anyway.

From the teams perspective, it’s a no brainer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Luck4Reich (09-03-2019), Racehorse (09-04-2019), VeveJones007 (09-04-2019)