ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 03:00 PM

Default One year later

After the disappointing loss, where the whole team played awful, in the clichéd "all three phases of the game", it is good to consider the larger picture of where the team is now vs a year ago.

One year ago :
Don't know if our franchise QB will be back again and healthy

Left at the altar by a dick move by a potential head coaching hire

Still were not really sure how good Ballard was as a GM.

No offensive or defensive identity

OL was awful

No pass rush

Bottom of the division

ANd now :
Have a great coach for the next decade probably and a perfect pairing between him and Luck

Luck is back and obviously healthy, his game yesterday not withstanding

Ballard had a great draft and following the weasel pulling out of a contract offer at the last minute, turned that fiasco into a huge positive by hiring an even better coach.

OL is the best it has been in years and was one of the best units in the league this year, and that despite many injuries. I would argue there is still room for improvement, especially right side of the line, but cannot complain about the gains in a year

There is an offensive identity between Luck, Reich and Quenton Nelson at guard, added some badly needed edge to this team

The defensive has at least a leader in Leonard, though again need some upgrades at other positions on D and still not sure the defensive philosophy beyond the dreaded Cover 2 "but but don't break" idea, which I am not a huge fan of. But also on defense, Eberflus is a solid coordinator if nothing else

Back near the top of the division

There are still areas of improvement of course. Need pass rush, a #2/1 WR, upgrade at LBers and secondary. But I don't think any of us would argue this was not a successful season despite the loss. And I think we have seen Ballard can fix problems quickly with the way the OL performed this year.
And he has lots of picks and FA money to do it with

Its hard to win in this league consistently without three 3 things at the top
GM
Head Coach
QB

A year ago, we were not sure we had any of that. Now we now know all of those are covered for now and the focus can be on other still important but less critical areas.

When was the last time, before this year vs. Houston, the Colts went into a playoff game where you actually thought the team had a coaching advantage? I would argue its been over a decade, since way back when Dungy was coaching.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (01-13-2019), Chaka (01-13-2019), Dewey 5 (01-13-2019), omahacolt (01-13-2019), Pez (01-13-2019), Racehorse (01-13-2019), sherck (01-13-2019), Spike (01-13-2019), YDFL Commish (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 03:10 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

This team needs more talent and some important areas.

1. Pass rusher. Inside or out i don't care.
2. WR/TE chain mover. I don't care maybe just have a CLUTCH guy other than TY
3. More talent at LB
4. More talent at DB's. Not necessarily starters, but guys who can step in and may become starters.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 05:17 PM

Well said Dr. - thank you.

With regard to our pass rush needs, word this morning is that the Chiefs will NOT be tagging Dee Ford:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/20...-ford#comments

Ford seemed pretty disruptive yesterday. Any thoughts on whether he might be a good fit here?