ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-31-2023, 05:54 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Colts players vote rookie Anthony Richardson as a team captain

Colts players vote rookie Anthony Richardson as a team captain

Quote:

INDIANAPOLIS — Rookie quarterback Anthony Richardson has been named one of the seven Colts captains for the 2023 season.

The captains were selected by player vote, and the other six players are all established Indianapolis veterans: DeForest Buckner, Zaire Franklin, Ryan Kelly, Kenny Moore II, Quenton Nelson and Shaquille Leonard.

But the quarterback’s role carries an important leadership position, and the Colts teammates have responded to Richardson’s infectious joy.

‘He’s going to be really special':Colts name Anthony Richardson starting quarterback

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (08-31-2023), Colts And Orioles (09-01-2023), Ironshaft (09-01-2023), Racehorse (08-31-2023), Spike (09-01-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 10:06 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Way to start on the right note. So far, kid seems to be the leader we have desperately needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (09-01-2023), Ironshaft (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 11:10 AM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

There's no true captain/leader on the team. It's been a problem for years. Maybe Buckner is a leader. Hopefully Richardson will become one. Leonard is a "me" guy and certainly isn't a leader. And how are Leonard and Franklin both supposed to share leadership when they're both linebackers? Too many chiefs and not enough (worthy and willing) indians. Oh well, it's a start anyway.
Old 09-01-2023, 11:20 AM
"Still at Work"

Also, just because you've been on the team for years doesn't make you a leader. Kelly and Nelson are leaders? Ha! No, they've just been there for years. Kenny Moore is more of a survivor than a leader. He's playing with literally kids at this point, so I guess they probably see him as a leader because he's their elder. Elders aren't necessarily leaders. But enough of my pontificating for now. Good for them and good luck.
Old 09-01-2023, 02:31 PM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
There's no true captain/leader on the team. It's been a problem for years. Maybe Buckner is a leader. Hopefully Richardson will become one. Leonard is a "me" guy and certainly isn't a leader. And how are Leonard and Franklin both supposed to share leadership when they're both linebackers? Too many chiefs and not enough (worthy and willing) indians. Oh well, it's a start anyway.
What makes you think Buckner is a leader?
Old 09-01-2023, 02:37 PM
"Still at Work"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
What makes you think Buckner is a leader?
I said maybe he's a leader. He's really good, consistent, and doesn't miss much playing time or cause any issues on/off the field. An overall standout leader has been missing for years. Cory Redding was probably the last leader we've had.
Old 09-01-2023, 02:47 PM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Also, just because you've been on the team for years doesn't make you a leader. Kelly and Nelson are leaders? Ha! No, they've just been there for years. Kenny Moore is more of a survivor than a leader. He's playing with literally kids at this point, so I guess they probably see him as a leader because he's their elder. Elders aren't necessarily leaders. But enough of my pontificating for now. Good for them and good luck.
Omaha has been dogging Leonard for years for his lack of leadership.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Brylok (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 02:48 PM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Colts players vote rookie Anthony Richardson as a team captain
Don’t know that I’ve been more excited about a single player since Lucks rookie year.

I really think this kid has what it takes to be great.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (09-01-2023), Oldcolt (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 02:54 PM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
I said maybe he's a leader. He's really good, consistent, and doesn't miss much playing time or cause any issues on/off the field. An overall standout leader has been missing for years. Cory Redding was probably the last leader we've had.
Wasn't a dig on your opinion. I just never know what guys mean when this leadership stuff comes up.

All I know is that the players decide it based on stuff I can't see. Kelly has always been noted for his locker room presence. Nelson is probably more vocal than he is in public, but I would guess he's mostly lead-by-example guy.

Franklin is another guy who's always been touted, even when he was a ST guy. #1 thing people talk about with Leonard is his infection energy, which is both rah-rah and lead-by-example to me.

Moore is interesting. He obviously had his contract spat which pissed people off (me included), but he was also our Man of the Year nominee in '21 so guys must see something there. Plus, like you mentioned, he's a vet in a secondary full of youngbloods. Definitely a factor.

Richardson is a formality. QB's have to be captains or you're fucked. So in-line with the strategy of throwing him out there, make him captain and see if he earns it sooner rather than later. Looks to have the confidence of the team.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:32 PM
"Still at Work"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Omaha has been dogging Leonard for years for his lack of leadership.
Yep, and he's right. Omaha is the one that really got me thinking about the void we have had. I think that was two(?) years ago.
Hoopsdoc (09-01-2023)