ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-09-2020, 11:28 AM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Getting Eason at 45 might end up like Seattle getting Wilson at 75. I thought Wilson was the second best QB in the 2012 draft, and at this point I'd rank Eason ahead of Tua, though it's very early in the process.
IMHO, Tua is a better QB than Eason. Tua's injury history scares the hell out of me though. But hell, I might be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:41 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
IMHO, Tua is a better QB than Eason. Tua's injury history scares the hell out of me though. But hell, I might be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Eason is more of a project. Tua is certainly more ready now. In three years who knows. Each QB has his flaws in this draft. Problem is fans see the word potential and automatically jump to the best possible scenario. High ceiling guys always scare me a bit, I tend to lean towards the guy who has done it college more. When it was Peyton vs Leaf I was very much in the Peyton camp. And I was very much in the Luck camp bc the way Griffin ran I thought he took uncessary risks. Turns out both did, just one lasted longer.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 01-09-2020 at 11:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Spike (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Eason is more of a project. Tua is certainly more ready now. In three years who knows. Each QB has his flaws in this draft. Problem is fans see the word potential and automatically jump to the best possible scenario. High ceiling guys always scare me a bit, I tend to lean towards the guy who has done it college more. When it was Peyton vs Leaf I was very much in the Peyton camp. And I was very much in the Luck camp bc the way Griffin ran I thought he took uncessary risks. Turns out both did, just one lasted longer.
What’s your opinion of Herbert?
Old 01-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
What’s your opinion of Herbert?
I don’t have questions about his leadership, I think he is just more quiet than some. But that team responded to him in his bowl game so I think they do like and respect him.

I think Oregon was hamstrung by their offensive system some. It’s not that good and uses a lot of horizontal passing. They had better RBs than wr’s. I think they could have molded the system around him more. He is accurate around the short to intermediate range, makes good decisions generally. Arm strength should be good enough. They just don’t throw deep much. He is smart and won the academic heisman, 4.01 gpa. So he should do things like make line calls which he did not do in college.

He was meh against Auburn, but great in his bowl game. He finished the second half of the season strong and played well to close out the year. His rating went up because of it. He is just inconsistent for me and it just seems something is missing. He could be suffering from over analysis, he has been around awhile. I want to see how he does at the senior bowl and combine.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 01-10-2020 at 01:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
rm1369 (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 08:16 PM

For the cost, I'd rather spend a lower pick on Eason than a higher pick on Herbert or Tua. The Colts basically have a free year coming up with minimal expectations from the QB position. Even if they absolutely strike out with the Eason pick, is he that much more of a wasted pick than an up & down 2nd round pick like Ya-Sin was this past year? /shrug, just try again next year if a mid-2nd doesn't progress fast enough.

Last edited by Colt Classic; 01-09-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Classic View Post
For the cost, I'd rather spend a lower pick on Eason than a higher pick on Herbert or Tua. The Colts basically have a free year coming up with minimal expectations from the QB position. Even if they absolutely strike out with the Eason pick, is he that much more of a wasted pick than an up & down 2nd round pick like Ya-Sin was this past year? /shrug, just try again next year if a mid-2nd doesn't progress fast enough.
The Colts don’t just need an improvement at QB, they need a franchise QB. There is no need to draft anyone that you don’t believe with a high degree of confidence can be that guy. You don’t draft Eason in the 2nd and then draft someone else next year. If you draft him then you are investing several years into developing him.

Ballard needs to identify the one or two guys in this draft he’s willing to stake his job on and go get one of them. Or take a DT or OT (maybe WR I guess) at 13 and look to push at least one of the 2nd rounders into the future so he has ammo to go get the guy next year. Trading this years number one for ammo next year works to I suppose. But you don’t just take a QB high and then plan to try again next year. Whoever you draft is your guy for at least 3 years IMO.

(To be clear - I’m not suggesting Ballard will or even should be fired if his QB doesn’t pan out, but it’s simply reality that how he handles the QB position will have more impact on his success or failure than any other single decision he makes)

Last edited by rm1369; 01-10-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
You don’t draft Eason in the 2nd and then draft someone else next year. If you draft him then you are investing several years into developing him.

Ballard needs to identify the one or two guys in this draft he’s willing to stake his job on and go get one of them. Or take a DT or OT (maybe WR I guess) at 13 and look to push at least one of the 2nd rounders into the future so he has ammo to go get the guy next year.
I think if the guy is there this year that Ballard wants and can realistically get, this is the year to draft a QB. Everything is positioned perfectly for this - we still have Brissett under contract for a year, we can get rid of Hoyer without much impact on the cap, we have some additional ammo to trade up (Washington's 2nd rounder), expectations have been lowered, etc. Also, though this view may not be widely shared because we closed out the season so weakly, but I'm not confident we'll be drafting this high next year. We are still a very young and improving team.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
The Colts don’t just need an improvement at QB, they need a franchise QB. There is no need to draft anyone that you don’t believe with a high degree of confidence can be that guy. You don’t draft Eason in the 2nd and then draft someone else next year. If you draft him then you are investing several years into developing him.

Ballard needs to identify the one or two guys in this draft he’s willing to stake his job on and go get one of them. Or take a DT or OT (maybe WR I guess) at 13 and look to push at least one of the 2nd rounders into the future so he has ammo to go get the guy next year. Trading this years number one for ammo next year works to I suppose. But you don’t just take a QB high and then plan to try again next year. Whoever you draft is your guy for at least 3 years IMO.

(To be clear - I’m not suggesting Ballard will or even should be fired if his QB doesn’t pan out, but it’s simply reality that how he handles the QB position will have more impact on his success or failure than any other single decision he makes)
That is the interesting option to use the #34 pick with.

That pick could be seen by a lot of teams as pure gold if "their" guy whom they were sure was a 1st round pick is still on the board at the end of day one.

Much like when we traded our next year 1st round pick for Tony Ugoh, someone who is likely to end up with a top half 1st round pick next season might be willing to give it to us for their guy this year.

Ending up 2020 with two top half 1st round picks is a really attractive place to be if you want to go TL shopping. Both your 1st round picks and a future 2nd for the #1 overall? Its possible, it depends on how far down the board you are.