ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-25-2019, 12:49 AM

I don't think this is a 3-13 team this year

I think its an 8-8 team.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:53 AM

Thanked 2,236 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post

So if that is the case, then we know Ballard is going to hitch this thing up to JB and see where it goes.

I doubt it was an "I know Luck is going to not be here" thing and a more foccusing on having a team that can be competitive and still win if the starting QB goes down. Add Reich to the equation who helped coach a team to a SB win with a backup and we can assume Reich and Ballared are comunicating a team strategy, then being prepared to lose your franchise QB, who by the way recently lost a whole season, makes a lot of sense.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (08-25-2019), Luck4Reich (08-25-2019), Racehorse (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 01:10 AM

Thanked 2,236 Times in 1,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Foles won a SB, with Reich, not even two years ago.

Eli won two SBs and the Giants have been a mess as an organization lately, not all his fault.

Brissett has won 4 NFL games total.

I know there are extenuating circumstances for all those things, but come on.....those are vast differences.
Foles won a SB , but another Qb had a lot to do with getting him there, he has been a qb that is super up and down. Eli is done, the giants are trash, but he was never great and he is done. Brissett is certainly an unknown, but his one year as a starter is kind of a rough situation. Without proof the Colts knew in time to even try to get Foles, that is a non Starter and I am not sure the Giants would have traded Eli at that point either. This whole premise is post Luch retirement rage posting.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:12 AM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Maybe they had doubts in March but doubt they knew then. I would guess he told top brass last week or two.

Last edited by rcubed; 08-25-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:44 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Ballard said the Colts knew about the ankle/calf injury back in March, not that it would lead to this.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:33 AM

I think a mediocre talent QB can run Reichs offense, and Frank will make a few minor adjustments to shadow Jacoby's strong assets. Are we going to win a Super-Bowl, or even make the playoffs? Doubtful, but I am a Colts fan and we can only cheer what is out there. 0-16, 8-8 or 3-13 doesn't matter. Jim, unlike Bob Irsay has proven he will spend money to win. He wants a dynasty more than he wants more money. Ballard has done a tremendous job building this roster to play with an elite QB, or a mediocre QB. Tampa won a SB with Brad fucking Johnson. They did it with a dominating team in every aspect but QB.
kitekrazy (08-25-2019), Racehorse (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 10:48 AM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2fish View Post
I think a mediocre talent QB can run Reichs offense, and Frank will make a few minor adjustments to shadow Jacoby's strong assets. Are we going to win a Super-Bowl, or even make the playoffs? Doubtful, but I am a Colts fan and we can only cheer what is out there. 0-16, 8-8 or 3-13 doesn't matter. Jim, unlike Bob Irsay has proven he will spend money to win. He wants a dynasty more than he wants more money. Ballard has done a tremendous job building this roster to play with an elite QB, or a mediocre QB. Tampa won a SB with Brad fucking Johnson. They did it with a dominating team in every aspect but QB.
Yeah more and more I believe Ballard and Reich are the exact guys you would want at the wheel right now. I don't think I have ever been this high on a Colts Defense. There are playmakers at every level of that D, and on a couple levels there might be 3/4 of them. If they can stay healthy I think this is a D where you don't have to force bad passes in 3/8 situations that go the other way, throw it OOB and let the D get it back.

Sadly because of some prior horrible decisions at the administrative and coaching levels we as a fan-base of become conditioned that you have to have a 1st ballot HOF QB to win in this league- your TB example is spot on and look at Baltimore with Flacco. Are we on that level yet, probably not but I am not sure we aren't real close now. Healthy, Darius Leonard may be a Lewis or Brooks type of iconic player that elevates the whole team to greatness.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Lov2fish (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Yeah more and more I believe Ballard and Reich are the exact guys you would want at the wheel right now. I don't think I have ever been this high on a Colts Defense. There are playmakers at every level of that D, and on a couple levels there might be 3/4 of them. If they can stay healthy I think this is a D where you don't have to force bad passes in 3/8 situations that go the other way, throw it OOB and let the D get it back.

Sadly because of some prior horrible decisions at the administrative and coaching levels we as a fan-base of become conditioned that you have to have a 1st ballot HOF QB to win in this league- your TB example is spot on and look at Baltimore with Flacco. Are we on that level yet, probably not but I am not sure we aren't real close now. Healthy, Darius Leonard may be a Lewis or Brooks type of iconic player that elevates the whole team to greatness.
It's not only the QB position but constantly drafting guys for them to throw to. The best weapon you can give a QB is an outstanding defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to kitekrazy For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (08-25-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 01:28 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post
It's not only the QB position but constantly drafting guys for them to throw to. The best weapon you can give a QB is an outstanding defense.
Yes and I am thrilled to say that this D, while very very young and raw, looks like it could emerge as a unit that dominates the game. Tuary, man that guy has Mathis speed off the edge and if Houston can do what he's got a hell of a book of proof of in the past off the other edge, with DL just dominating the 2nd level and a nice array of speed and size on the back end (QW might make a few bonehead plays but that guy has range and can swallow a WR up)- we should be looking at TO's like a mofo this year.

I really hope we hear Jabal gets back this week, could use some additional depth on the edge. I finally saw a little bit from Banagu last night, showed a little strength with some push into the pocket. I think the interior is a bit underrated as well and that Autry has the potential to be talked about in the mold of Gnata or Sapp by the end of the season.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:31 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,266 Times in 2,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post

It's not only the QB position but constantly drafting guys for them to throw to. The best weapon that you can give a QB is an outstanding defense.

o

The quintessential example of that would be probably Trent Dilfer, and the 2000 Ravens.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck