ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-28-2023, 03:01 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
The GM whose head coach turned him into a 3 time All Pro in his system, a system the Colts don't run anymore.

If you can get 80% of the production of Leonard at 50% of the price in Okereke AND save significant draft capital, why would you not do that?

I'm not suggesting poking another hole in the roster, I'm suggesting smart cap management and asset maximization.
If hes healthy, and you dont have a LB slot open, play him at SS, or what us old farts call monster back. You find a way to get Leonard on the field, you dont trade him. And any DC who cant figure out how to use him, should be fired.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (03-02-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 03:20 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,658 Times in 959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Well normally I would tend to agree with that math. But assuming Leonard returns to form, the 20% that Leonard does that Okereke does not (primarily turnovers, but also coverage) is not weighted equally.

I think before last year he was averaging something absurd like 8 Int's+FF's by himself per year. Since what he excels at are game-altering plays, I don't know that it's wise to give that up.
I get what you're saying, but a franchise QB makes far more game altering plays than Leonard ever will. It's a calculated risk, and one I imagine will be unpopular, but the potential payoff is a stronger roster for a rookie contract franchise QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
If hes healthy, and you dont have a LB slot open, play him at SS, or what us old farts call monster back. You find a way to get Leonard on the field, you dont trade him. And any DC who cant figure out how to use him, should be fired.
I'm not arguing Leonard isn't a valuable player, I'm arguing that cap math and retention of draft capital make trading him make sense. Leonard may have more value to the Bears than the Colts at this point.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:29 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

The Leonard that Bradley didn't use wasn't the same player that signed that huge contract. If he truly is healthy and can stay that way Bradley will find a way to use him. To me, unfortunately (way to much money invested in Leonard-small, injury prone because of it and plays a relatively unimportant position) Leonard is not tradable do to injury/compensation concerns. I agree he may have more value to the Bears than to the Colts right now. That value appears to be low in both cases. No way is he a huge part of getting the #1. We need to hope and pray for a complete recovery.

Last edited by Oldcolt; 02-28-2023 at 03:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
JAFF (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 05:37 PM

Thanked 1,663 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but a franchise QB makes far more game altering plays than Leonard ever will. It's a calculated risk, and one I imagine will be unpopular, but the potential payoff is a stronger roster for a rookie contract franchise QB.
You're right, the QB is the ultimate trump card. If Ballard and co. truly believe in a QB, even a player like Leonard isn't untradeable. But if they only slightly prefer a guy over another guy, then "do whatever it takes" goes out the window and we consider price. We know Ballard won't overpay under normal circumstances.

I think I've said before here, best case would be that you're right about Stroud, but the consensus remains with Young and the Colts only have to pay to move up one spot potentially to get him.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:51 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
It'd be nice to talk about free agency in the free agency thread, but here we are. Given the current list of free agents, the ones I'd like to retain are:

DE Yannick Ngakoue
LB E.J. Speed
LB Bobby Okereke
WR Parris Campbell
FS Rodney McLeod
K Chase McLaughlin

Ngakoue was the most consistent pass rush the Colts had last year and he always seems to find his way to Gus Bradley's defense. Every outlet I've seen has him signing a below market value contract for a pass rusher, so it makes sense to run it back with him on the (relative) cheap, say 2 years/$25 million as PFF suggested.

Given the team's current situation at LB, E.J. Speed is a must retain for me, given that he'll give you decent production from the LB position and doesn't have the name recognition or notoriety across the league to get a starter level contract elsewhere. With Leonard a complete question mark, and Zaire Franklin coming out of nowhere and likely commanding a big payday soon, getting Speed's solid production back on the cheap is a no brainer. Something in the $2-3 million per year range should get this done.

Speaking of the team's current situation at LB, Bobby Okereke is the most interesting of the Colts free agents, especially to other teams. Most Colts related media outlets seem to believe he'll walk in free agency for a starter contract elsewhere, something in the $10 million per year range seems about right. With the current contracts on the books, I don't think a contract like this for Okereke would be viable for the Colts to sign with him. That said, a pre-June 1 trade of Shaquille Leonard would meet the Colts a cap savings of about $7.8 million, and there's a certain head coach in Chicago that I am very sure would be interested in his services. Conveniently enough, the Bears happen to have an asset the Colts would be interested in as well, namely the #1 pick. Were Leonard included in that trade package, resigning Okereke to a starter level contract would be an obvious choice with almost no cap repercussions.

Campbell finally flashed signs of the promise that caused him to be drafted 59th overall ahead of D.K. Metcalf last year. He still has quite a bit to prove, but would make a talented target and slot receiver for a rookie QB to throw to. A 1 year prove it deal is in order here, with "proving it" potentially leading to a long term starter level contract.

Originally I didn't have Rodney McLeod on my list, but I don't think passing on starting caliber players that are projected to make $2 million next year is a generally good practice.

McLaughlin is a good kicker, pay him a decent rate and keep him.
I’d love just Okereke and Campbell. But I feel like it will be just Speed and McLaughlin.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:57 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,658 Times in 959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I’d love just Okereke and Campbell. But I feel like it will be just Speed and McLaughlin.
With Bradley back, Ngakoue is almost assuredly coming back. He follows Bradley. The only way I see that being different is if the Colts tell him they don't want him back. I don't think Ballard is willing to commit $40+ million of cap space to the LB position so Okereke walks this year or Franklin walks in his contract year, I would prefer Franklin walk, but I don't think they resign Okereke. To me, Speed, Campbell, and McLaughlin are no brainer high end reserve money ($2-4 million) resigns, same for McLeod if he's going to come in around $2 million.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:19 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I do hope you are wrong about Ngakoue. He disappears when you actually need a pass rush. He has a terrific motor that gets him some sack numbers but is incapable of generating a rush if the player against him doesn't fuck up. People rarely fuck up when they are focused, like in big situations where you need a pass rush.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
JAFF (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
With Bradley back, Ngakoue is almost assuredly coming back. He follows Bradley. The only way I see that being different is if the Colts tell him they don't want him back. I don't think Ballard is willing to commit $40+ million of cap space to the LB position so Okereke walks this year or Franklin walks in his contract year, I would prefer Franklin walk, but I don't think they resign Okereke. To me, Speed, Campbell, and McLaughlin are no brainer high end reserve money ($2-4 million) resigns, same for McLeod if he's going to come in around $2 million.
Twitter buzz is he is going to the Bungles. Five years for 49 million plus incentives with three years guaranteed.
Old 03-02-2023, 02:26 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:

I'm not arguing Leonard isn't a valuable player, I'm arguing that cap math and retention of draft capital make trading him make sense. Leonard may have more value to the Bears than the Colts at this point.
Yeah, you dont win super bowls with a calculator, you win it with talent. Leonard is the best playmaker on the D, and trading him for a mid round pick with no guarantee that guy might make the team is dumb.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (03-02-2023)
Old 11-25-2023, 01:41 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,018 Posts

o

How the Colts Have Built Ronnie Harrison Into Their Newest Linebacker

(By Nate Atkins)

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...r/71648881007/

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (11-26-2023)