ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-11-2023, 11:49 AM

Default AR15 to IR!

Jeez... hate to see this from Nate Atkins at IndyStar...

"Anthony Richardson is going to see a shortened rookie season this year.

The Colts rookie quarterback is headed to Injured Reserve due to the AC joint sprain he suffered in his throwing shoulder against the Titans on Sunday. He will miss at least the next four games. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that Richardson is expected to miss as many as eight weeks, depending on rehabilitation and whether he needs surgery.

Gardner Minshew becomes the Colts' starting quarterback. He has finished four of their five games so far, including a start he won in Baltimore in Week 3.

"It’s tough when a guy gets dinged up like he’s been dinged up," Colts coach Shane Steichen said Monday. "He’s obviously a very, very talented player, and it’s tough. But we have a lot of faith in Gardner too to step in and go operate the way he’s been doing.”

Richardson suffered the injury on a designed run in the second quarter of Sunday's 23-16 victory over the Titans. A defender fell on him as he was headed to the ground and pinned his shoulder into the turf, causing the sprain.

It's the second official injury for Richardson this season, as he suffered a brain injury against the Texans that held him out of the following week against the Ravens. He also had knee soreness from a hit against the Jaguars in the season opener. As a result, Minshew has finished four of the team's five games so far.

Richardson has shown his upside on the field, becoming the first quarterback in the Super Bowl era with a rushing touchdown in each of his first three games. He has four rushing scores already to go with 5.4 yards per carry. As a passer, he's completed 60% of his passes for three touchdowns, one interception and 6.9 yards per attempt.

Minshew has filled in admirably for stretches when Richardson has been out. He's completing 69% of his passes for two touchdowns, no interceptions and 6.7 yards per attempt. He does not have the rushing capability of Richardson, as he's carried it four times for four yards so far.

Minshew has been a starting quarterback before, including with the Jaguars, whom he will face on Sunday. Minshew is 9-16 in his career.

Richardson must miss at least the next four games, but it's possible he could miss more as the Colts decide how early to bring back a rookie quarterback. The Colts are 3-2 and in a tie for first place in the AFC South.

"For Anthony, a guy who has been through a lot of adversity this year, taking a couple hits, it's tough. You never want to see that happen," right guard Will Fries said. "He's a tough kid. I know he'll bounce back."

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports...e/71140660007/
The Following User Says Thank You to BCN#1 For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 12:04 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,018 Posts

o

It's a good thing that we have the guy who once spent the off-season living in an old prison bus, as a way of preparing himself for the football season ...... a real spartan.

http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146820

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (10-11-2023), CletusPyle (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 12:07 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

We knew he was going to miss at least four weeks. Looks like they’ll see how it evolves. Seems surgery is still on the table.
Old 10-11-2023, 12:19 PM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
We knew he was going to miss at least four weeks. Looks like they’ll see how it evolves. Seems surgery is still on the table.
Yeah, Steichen wouldn’t even commit to AR returning this season. I’d say surgery is definitely still on the table.
Old 10-11-2023, 12:43 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Yeah, Steichen wouldn’t even commit to AR returning this season. I’d say surgery is definitely still on the table.

I separated my right shoulder (same thing, different name) in my early 20's. Looking at charts, mine must've been a Grade-3 (it goes to 5).

I had a noticeable lump where my collarbone was poking up where it was supposed to connect to my shoulder. Eventually that lessened over the years to barely noticeable, although I can still feel it with my hand.

I remember I was concerned with weightlifting in the future and the ortho doc told me that I would likely only lose 5% or so strength in that shoulder after recovering, so surgery wasn't necessary, although optional.

Obviously that's nearly 20 years ago and Richardson is in a far different position with far better medical/rehab... but I remember general pain for weeks and functional pain for months.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (10-11-2023), Racehorse (10-12-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 12:47 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Yeah somewhere it was reported will monitor the strength and pain over next few weeks to determine if needs surgery. If surgery, 4-5 month rehab. Absolutely sucks so bad!
Old 10-11-2023, 01:04 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Posted this on another thread. It is a good explanation of what he has and how it is treated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoBuze8nA-A

Friend of mine who is an orthopedic surgeon thinks most likely if it is truly a 3rd degree tear he will need surgery. He said that it will probably keep popping out with trauma as the joint will be unstable. Said each person is an individual so it will depend on exactly what and where the injury is. The good news is long term he should be fine.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
albany ed (10-11-2023), BCN#1 (10-11-2023), ChoppedWood (10-11-2023), CletusPyle (10-11-2023), Colts And Orioles (10-12-2023), dwilli57 (10-12-2023), Racehorse (10-12-2023), Spike (10-11-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 07:28 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Yeah somewhere it was reported will monitor the strength and pain over next few weeks to determine if needs surgery. If surgery, 4-5 month rehab. Absolutely sucks so bad!
At least with the surgery it’s expected a full recovery with no lasting issues. It might be the better long term route.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 07:37 AM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

What worries me is teams know now that if you get a direct hit on Anthony he will likely be out of the game, that will make him a target, and the Tits and Jags have no shortage of players willing to level a cheap shot! Maybe he has just been unlucky (hoping) but it really does seem like nearly every time he has taken a direct hit, he hasn't gotten up!
Old 10-12-2023, 08:24 AM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
What worries me is teams know now that if you get a direct hit on Anthony he will likely be out of the game, that will make him a target, and the Tits and Jags have no shortage of players willing to level a cheap shot! Maybe he has just been unlucky (hoping) but it really does seem like nearly every time he has taken a direct hit, he hasn't gotten up!
One of the local guys said part of it could be that AR isn’t used to not being by far the best athlete on the field. So the safety closing so fast in Houston and Landry running him down last Sunday kind of took him by surprise, so he wasn’t necessarily prepared for the hits.

There may be something to that, but who knows. One way or another, AR has to adjust and protect himself better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (10-12-2023), Ironshaft (10-13-2023)