ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-07-2023, 11:35 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

If it is a known risk and nothing can be done shouldn't the men who got rich off these guys take care of them? While you may never get rid of the risk hopefully it can be ameliorated so as to decrease its impact.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
ukcolt (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 10:38 AM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
If it is a known risk and nothing can be done shouldn't the men who got rich off these guys take care of them? While you may never get rid of the risk hopefully it can be ameliorated so as to decrease its impact.
I don't know to what degree the NFL takes care of them or not currently. It's difficult to argue "should" in these voluntary exchanges. These guys could always use their free college educations to pursue a career in a less violent field.

But they don't. I wouldn't, either.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-09-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Owners should take care of them, and in this day and age they do with the salaries and private health care plans that they have in place. It is the veterans who played this game who earned relatively very little, that they need to be looking after better. There has been an increase in the contributions to the veterans funds etc, but there are still so many of the older guys who are struggling. Saying this i doubt there is a single NFL player from the last 40 plus years that hasn't played the game knowing there is huge personal risk of long term injury.

Even now just because someone earns a lot of money, often doesn't mean that they retire rich. But to me i am not sure that is the fault of ownership, people are people and some make poor decisions and live a lifestyle that is not maintainable throughout their lives. But i believe that there are education programs, rookie symposiums to help all players make sound decisions. Each player still has to make the right sound fundamental decision.