ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-25-2022, 03:25 PM

Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,180 Posts
Default Colts and Reggie Wayne discussing possible coaching role

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1497279616129638406

Quote:
News: The Colts are strongly considering hiring franchise great Reggie Wayne as the team’s new wide receivers coach, sources said. Nothing finalized, but would be a big addition to Frank Reich’s staff.
https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1497279857285238789

Quote:
Reggie Wayne was a volunteer coach for the Colts during training camp in 2018, and when asked about going into coaching fulltime, said this: “I enjoyed it. I think coaching is in my blood, I think it’s something that I would want to do. It’s just got to be the right time.”
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (02-25-2022), Colts And Orioles (02-25-2022), Dewey 5 (02-25-2022), JAFF (02-25-2022), Oldcolt (02-26-2022), Racehorse (02-25-2022), smitty46953 (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 08:58 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

It can be a bad sign when teams hire former players to coaching positions, let alone three of them. Living in the past? Can't find anyone else to take the jobs? I like June, Mitchell, and Reggie, but I'm a bit concerned.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:51 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Fear that Reich is on the hot seat and the job might be a short one?
Old 02-25-2022, 11:28 PM
"Still at Work"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Fear that Reich is on the hot seat and the job might be a short one?
Probably that and there has been increased scrutiny in the local media. Fans are still pissed off and aren't going to be any happier when neither Rodgers nor Wilson come. Maybe they're trying to throw fans a bone bringing back nostalgia players. I don't know, just my initial take on it.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:35 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
It can be a bad sign when teams hire former players to coaching positions, let alone three of them. Living in the past? Can't find anyone else to take the jobs? I like June, Mitchell, and Reggie, but I'm a bit concerned.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-as-wrs-coach/

Wayne had great hand and route running, he was a perfectionist. Good trait to have as a coach. He didnt have Marvin speed, but he was tough on guys who tried to man handle him. Perfect routes, great feet, which are learned by many reps in practice. Wayne was a leader on and off the field. Whats not to like?

Cato June made himself into a very good LB in the Dungy D. He has been coaching college ball for about 9 years.

https://bgsufalcons.com/staff-directory/cato-june/753

The Colts know him and he knows success in the NFL. He knows the culture of the Colts when they were great, and he is young enough to relate to the players.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 01:57 PM

Thanked 1,667 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to take the job, but I do worry about the "living in the past" part. Great players don't always make great coaches. It's one thing to execute, but its another to teach.
Old 02-26-2022, 02:09 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to take the job, but I do worry about the "living in the past" part. Great players don't always make great coaches. It's one thing to execute, but its another to teach.

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/co...shared-rookies

Try this article
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-26-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 12:56 AM
"Still at Work"

I'm just saying that I have a bad feeling whenever any team anywhere in the world hires former players as coaches. I hope they're successful, but they're usually not.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:25 AM
Post whore

Quote:
I'm just saying that I have a bad feeling whenever any team anywhere in the world hires former players as coaches. I hope they're successful, but they're usually not.
NFL:

Arizona-Kliff Kingsbury- quarterback Patriots, Saints, Broncos, Jets, Bills

Carolina-Ron Rivera-linebacker Bears, 3 year starter, Super Bowl winner

Chicago-Matt Nagy-quarterback Arena Football League, Eagles

Dallas-Jason Garrett-quarterback Saints, Cowboys, Giants, Buccaneers and Dolphins

Indianapolis-Frank Reich-quarterback Bills, Panthers, Jets and Lions, greatest true backup quarterback ever

Jacksonville-Doug Marrone-offensive line Dolphins and Saints

LA Chargers-Anthony Lynn-running back Broncos and 49ers, 2x Super Bowl winner

New Orleans-Sean Payton-quarterback Bears

Philadelphia-Doug Pederson-quarterback Dolphins, Panthers, Packers, Eagles and Browns, Super Bowl winner

Tennessee-Mike Vrabel-defensive end, linebacker, occasional tight end Steelers, Patriots and Chiefs, 3x Super Bowl winner, First Team All Pro, Sports Illustrated All Decade Team 2000s, probably the best playing career of any current head coach

Washington-Jay Gruden-quarterback Arizona, Arena League MVP, only on the practice squad in the NFL

Played after College but not in the NFL:

Green Bay-Matt LaFleur-quarterback, National Indoor Football League

College:

Atlanta-Dan Quinn-Salisbury University, defensive lineman, two time team captain

Baltimore-John Harbaugh-Miami of Ohio, defensive back

Buffalo-Sean McDermott-College of William and Mary-safety, all conference in 1997

Cleveland-Freddie Kitchens-Alabama, quarterback, three year starter

Detroit-Matt Patricia-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, offensive line

Houston-Bill O’Brien-Brown, end-linebacker

Kansas City-Andy Reid-Glendale Community College and BYU offensive line

LA Rams-Sean McVay-Miami of Ohio wide receiver

Minnesota-Mike Zimmer-Illinois State quarterback and linebacker

New England-Bill Belichick-Wesleyan University center and tight end

NY Giants-Pat Shurmur-Michigan State guard, linebacker and center, All Big Ten, Honorable Mention All-American

Oakland-Jon Gruden-University of Dayton quarterback

Pittsburgh-Mike Tomlin-College of William and Mary wide receiver, Second Team All Yankee Conference

San Francisco-Kyle Shanahan-Texas wide receiver

Seattle-Pete Carroll-College of Marin and University of the Pacific free safety, 2x All Conference, tried out for a World Football League team but did not make the team

Tampa Bay-Bruce Arians-Virginia Tech quarterback

High School:

Denver-Vic Fangio, safety

You could include Jim Harbaugh, he did take the niners to the super bowl
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Discflinger (02-27-2022), Racehorse (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 11:48 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I hear you JAFF but wonder how many of those players went from sitting at home with essentially zero coaching experience to being in charge of a position as coach?

Stampede blue has an article saying that this is to improve the locker room. WTF? Ballard has been bragging since he got here about how he was all about building this so called 'great' locker room. Couldn't bring in big time free agents because the 'culture' wasn't right but not to worry- the Colts even hired this guy Brian Decker because he was such a genius at picking out the 'right' kind of player. After 5 years we find out that this was pure bullshit. Ballard and company cannot get into a man's head anymore than you or me. So we may have passed on some really good football players in order to build this winning culture, a huge part of the Ballard formula, and it was a total failure (just look at how these shitheads all fell apart).

I'm beginning to sour on this regime.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (02-27-2022), Dewey 5 (02-27-2022), Discflinger (02-27-2022)