ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-13-2023, 02:17 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts
Default Can a Fumbled Lateral Be Advanced by the Defense ???

o

I just came across this jaw-dropping call by the referees from a game in 1983. Fast-forward to the 2:18:00 mark, and stay with it, as the referees overturned what everybody in the stadium (and watching on television) presumed was a touchdown for the Colts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WK80_oolgE

The rule at that time was that a backward-pass/lateral that is fumbled l CANNOT l be advanced by the defensive team ...... so as crazy as it was, the referees apparently made the right call.

I don't know whether or not this horrible rule has been changed since then ....... I did some research, and the following states that either team l CAN l advance a backward pass after it hits the ground, but it l DOES NOT NECESSARILY SAY WHETHRE OR NOT l a backward pass can be advanced after it touches the intended target, and then hits the ground (as it did in this game between the Colts and the Patriots in 1983.)

A runner may throw a backward pass at any time (3-22-5). Players of either team may advance after catching a backward pass, or recovering a backward pass after it touches the ground.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...backward-pass/

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 12-13-2023 at 02:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
TheMugwump (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 03:41 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,645 Times in 953 Posts

Based on the language presented, it would seem the current rule is that if a backward pass is recovered by the defense, the defense can advance it.
Old 12-13-2023, 05:16 PM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 792 Posts

I might butcher it, but my understanding is that there's a distinction between a "fumble" and "everything else" (backward pass, pitch, lateral, snap), but only for the offense.

Offense can only kill the play by recovering their fumble. Unless it's the goofy 4th down/2-minute rule where the guy that fumbled it can pick it up, but nobody else on offense can.

But if it's an "everything else", then all bets are off.

And for defense... all bets are always off.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 07:07 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post

I might butcher it, but my understanding is that there's a distinction between a "fumble" and "everything else" (backward pass, pitch, lateral, snap), but only for the offense.

Offense can only kill the play by recovering their fumble. Unless it's the goofy 4th down/2-minute rule where the guy that fumbled it can pick it up, but nobody else on offense can.

And for defense ...... all bets are always off.

o

This is for the defense only, and this is specifically for a fumbled/mishandled backward pass.

The refs got it right in the 1983 Colts-Patriots game that I cited, and I'd really like to know if that rule is still in effect ...... the wording of the rule in the OP covers backwards passes that hit the ground (which can be advanced), but not necessarily backwards passes that are fumbled/mishandled and then hit the ground (which could not be advanced at the time of this game, in 1983.)

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 12-13-2023, 08:00 PM

Thanked 1,570 Times in 892 Posts

Wow! Hearing Don Criqui’s voice brings back memories. And I used to love that backfield of Dickey/McMillen.

No thoughts on the rule, I am just appreciative of the video.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMugwump For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-13-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 11:18 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post

And for defense... all bets are always off.

o

Thanks for the effort, though ...... I appreciate it.

o

Old 12-14-2023, 12:09 AM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post

Wow !!! ) Hearing Don Criqui’s voice brings back memories. ) And I used to love that backfield of Dickey/McMillen.

No thoughts on the rule, I am just appreciative of the video.

o

Don Criqui: ) "Next week, the Baltimore Colts head back to Memorial Stadium to play John Elway and the Broncos."

Jim Turner: ) "It's probably going to be an over-publicized game ...... John Elway did what I would have done, he exercised an option. Do you really think that O.J. Simpson would have gone to Buffalo if he had had an option ??? No, he wouldn't have. I don't know why people are so down on John Elway."

Don Criqui: ) "Well, I think that they're down on him in Baltimore because he said that he didn't want to play for the Colts, or he didn't want to play in the city of Baltimore. That IS his option. It's also the option of the Colts fans not to like him, which they don't."

Jim Turner: ) "I talked to John Elway, and he said that he didn't make the statement about the city of Baltimore, he specifically said that he didn't want to play for the Colts football team ...... he didn't say anything about the city, and I happen to believe him."

Don Criqui: ) "Well be that as it may, they still don't like him, so it's going to be an interesting game next Sunday."

o

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 01-01-2024 at 09:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-14-2023)