ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-08-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I agree, 4 is the spot you target. And hope the Dolphins don't catch wind because they have been interested in Tua for a long time.

Well a franchise QB is worth that. If you hit, in a couple years you don't care. If he misses, he likely will be out of the job by that point. But a couple more picks don't usually add up to the value of a franchise QB. Sure they could be all pro's like Leonard, or they could be Quincy Wilson's. Need thazt building block though, it influences so many things. FA interest, fanbase interest, marketing and advertising, game and schedule exposure. I think it is completely necessary for a small market team. So yeah, to me, one or two less picks is worth it.

Ballard has said he likes the draft to come to him. However, if you need a QB and you are picking in the middle of the draft, you have to be aggressive. I think he knows this though. Question is does he like Tua enough to do it. Rumor was they liked Jeffrey Simmons last draft, I wish they had moved up for him. He fell because of injury, but not as far as some had hoped.
I don’t disagree - if Tua is a franchise guy then he’s well worth those picks. I just still have a hard time seeing Ballard pull the trigger. I realize he’s not going to come out and tip his hand, but his comments about pushing for a guy, missing, and setting you back 4-5 years really sounds to me like he’s setting up his reasons to not go get one. I’m certain the leaked reason why will be questions about the player, not that he didn’t like giving up picks though. I fully expect Ballard to take one of the guys out of the top 3 where the cost isn’t so high. I’m not saying that’s the right way to go (unless you hit on the pick like KC did with Mahomes) but that seems much more like his MO and matches with his previous comments.

I’ll add that I could maybe see him move up a few spots where the cost is less if Tua or Herbert falls some.

Last edited by rm1369; 01-08-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:23 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
I hope fromm declares. We could likely get a dt in the first and then trade up to get fromm in the early second. I like his decisiveness and accuracy. If anything he holds on the the ball a bit too long.

Your wish has been granted. Fromm declared today for the 2020 draft via tweet.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...80432544092160

Quote:
Georgia QB Jake Fromm has officially declared for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 01-08-2020 at 05:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Pez (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 08:48 AM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Watched some of Jacob Eason. He has a good arm and seems to get rid of the ball very quick. Seen some Mocks having us getting him with our 3rd overall pick
Old 01-09-2020, 10:09 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck4Reich View Post
Watched some of Jacob Eason. He has a good arm and seems to get rid of the ball very quick. Seen some Mocks having us getting him with our 3rd overall pick
Getting Eason at 45 might end up like Seattle getting Wilson at 75. I thought Wilson was the second best QB in the 2012 draft, and at this point I'd rank Eason ahead of Tua, though it's very early in the process.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:05 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Getting Eason at 45 might end up like Seattle getting Wilson at 75. I thought Wilson was the second best QB in the 2012 draft, and at this point I'd rank Eason ahead of Tua, though it's very early in the process.
What do you like about Eason? He certainly looks the part, height, size, arm strength, and seems to have a lot of raw tools to work with. He worries me a bit b/c every time I saw him he folded under pressure badly. Colorado just destroyed him and they were not a great team last year.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:28 AM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
IMHO, Tua is a better QB than Eason. Tua's injury history scares the hell out of me though. But hell, I might be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:41 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
IMHO, Tua is a better QB than Eason. Tua's injury history scares the hell out of me though. But hell, I might be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Eason is more of a project. Tua is certainly more ready now. In three years who knows. Each QB has his flaws in this draft. Problem is fans see the word potential and automatically jump to the best possible scenario. High ceiling guys always scare me a bit, I tend to lean towards the guy who has done it college more. When it was Peyton vs Leaf I was very much in the Peyton camp. And I was very much in the Luck camp bc the way Griffin ran I thought he took uncessary risks. Turns out both did, just one lasted longer.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 01-09-2020 at 11:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Spike (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Eason is more of a project. Tua is certainly more ready now. In three years who knows. Each QB has his flaws in this draft. Problem is fans see the word potential and automatically jump to the best possible scenario. High ceiling guys always scare me a bit, I tend to lean towards the guy who has done it college more. When it was Peyton vs Leaf I was very much in the Peyton camp. And I was very much in the Luck camp bc the way Griffin ran I thought he took uncessary risks. Turns out both did, just one lasted longer.
What’s your opinion of Herbert?
Old 01-09-2020, 01:57 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
What do you like about Eason? He certainly looks the part, height, size, arm strength, and seems to have a lot of raw tools to work with. He worries me a bit b/c every time I saw him he folded under pressure badly. Colorado just destroyed him and they were not a great team last year.
Watch him throw a back shoulder fade or a 15 yard out. The accuracy and ball placement are ridiculously good. I'll watch the Colorado tape now that you mentioned that, but I watched four games of his and came away impressed, even when he was pressured.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
What’s your opinion of Herbert?
I don’t have questions about his leadership, I think he is just more quiet than some. But that team responded to him in his bowl game so I think they do like and respect him.

I think Oregon was hamstrung by their offensive system some. It’s not that good and uses a lot of horizontal passing. They had better RBs than wr’s. I think they could have molded the system around him more. He is accurate around the short to intermediate range, makes good decisions generally. Arm strength should be good enough. They just don’t throw deep much. He is smart and won the academic heisman, 4.01 gpa. So he should do things like make line calls which he did not do in college.

He was meh against Auburn, but great in his bowl game. He finished the second half of the season strong and played well to close out the year. His rating went up because of it. He is just inconsistent for me and it just seems something is missing. He could be suffering from over analysis, he has been around awhile. I want to see how he does at the senior bowl and combine.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 01-10-2020 at 01:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
rm1369 (01-09-2020)