ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-13-2023, 05:47 PM

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I appreciate what you do JAFF. I don't read Doyle but myself anymore but like that we do not censure anyone on this site. Belated thanks
I appreciate Jaff posting the articles, but they are such a hard read and Doyel is such a hack. Much more so than Kravitz ever thought of being.

I could read Kravitz. My main beef with him is his insistence that Elway was the GOAT?
Old 10-13-2023, 05:50 PM

Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
I can do that. Its going to get very long. Maybe weekly? If this is what people want, I will start after this weeks game.
I don't care, either way. I was asked if there were a way to create a subforum for them.
Old 10-13-2023, 06:13 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I don't care, either way. I was asked if there were a way to create a subforum for them.
As long I can find it and post. I may need a map. Seriously.
Old 10-13-2023, 09:42 PM
Post whore

Default Late day entry

Michael Pittman on Jonathan Taylor contract: 'Every player can take a page out of his book'
Nate Atkins
Indianapolis Star

INDIANAPOLIS -- Michael Pittman Jr. is happy his All-Pro running back is back in the fold.

Happy, too, to see a player win in this type of contract-year stand-off.

Jonathan Taylor returned last weekend from a four-game absence to sign a three-year, $42 million contract that ranks third among running backs in average annual value. It ended a two-month stand-off between him and the Colts, who eventually reversed course on their plans to not offer him a contract until after the season.

"Going forward, every player can take a page out of his book," Pittman said. "He stood strong on what he felt that he deserved, and both sides ended up happy."

"Going forward, I think players should model that because it ended up working out."

The Colts drafted Pittman and Taylor mere picks apart in the second round in 2020. Both entered contract years this season but were facing different pressures given their positional value and career arcs.

Taylor was expecting an extension from a Colts team that often rewards players entering their contract year. It came right as the running back market was cratering across the league, to the point where stars like Josh Jacobs and Saquon Barkley took one-year deals just above the franchise tag number of around $10 million.

Indianapolis Colts All-Pro running back Jonathan Taylor made his season debut Sunday after inking a three-year contract extension.
After general manager Chris Ballard declined to offer Taylor an extension or a promise to not use the franchise tag, the 2021 NFL rushing champion requested a trade and distanced himself from the team until he saw resolution. He sat out four games while on the Physically Unable to Perform List due to an ankle he had surgically repaired seven months prior.

But that resolution came last week, when the Colts reached out to Taylor as he was eligible for a return and started their first negotiation. It ended in $26.5 million guaranteed on a deal that owner Jim Irsay said came "sooner than I think should have happened," but it brought Taylor back into the fold for now and for the future.

MORE:'Things got off the rails': Colts Jim Irsay on path to Jonathan Taylor's contract extension

SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE
News Across the U.S.
Access the digital replica of USA TODAY and more than 200 local newspapers with your subscription.
Click "Universal" in the eNewspaper
"It just goes to show that you've got to fight for it," Pittman said. "He was willing to go the furthest, further than some other backs who -- I don't want to say gave in, but they didn't stand as strong as he did. They were able to come to a common ground, and that's all that anybody wanted.

"He fought for what he deserved, and I'm proud of him."

Pittman is well-versed in what the position has gone through since his father, Michael Pittman Sr., played running back for 11 years until he retired in 2008. In financial terms, it's the opposite of what has happened at wide receiver, where 13 different players currently have average annual salaries of $20 million or more.

They can come even more expensive on the open market, where demand far exceeds supply in a passing league. Two years ago, Christian Kirk was coming off a 982-yard season with the Cardinals that was statistically similar to each of Pittman's past two seasons with the Colts, and he signed a four-year, $72 million deal from the Jaguars.

That's why Pittman hasn't sweated being in a contract year. At least not yet.

"The way I see it is teams take care of their guys. If you're not one of their guys, you're not one of their guys," Pittman said. "I'm just playing day to day and auditioning for 31 teams and just going out there and making a couple plays. I have a commitment to my teammates."

"The best way to get a job is to do good at your current job. ... I'll probably just wait until the offseason to figure that out."

Michael Pittman Jr. is in a contract year but is focused on playing his best football ahead of free agency.
Pittman is focused on trying to have his best season yet for the Colts, which means topping the 1,082 yards and six touchdowns from 2021 and the 925 yards and four touchdowns from last season. This year, he is averaging 59.4 yards per game, which is firmly between his career average (55.0) and career high (63.6).

He was thrilled to get the chance to build a connection with Anthony Richardson, the No. 4 pick in this year's draft and the most athletic quarterback prospect in NFL history. The two traveled to Miami for an offseason throwing session and also met up in the Indianapolis area for more work on their own.

But he hasn't gotten more than six consecutive quarters with Richardson due to various injuries. Pittman grew concerned in Week 2, and he and Richardson talked about the quarterback's need to protect himself, which means playing differently than the heat-seeking missile that is his No. 1 receiver.

"He was kind of contradicting himself, telling me to protect myself and stop taking hits when he's doing the opposite," Richardson said a couple weeks ago.

But a designed run Sunday ended in Richardson spraining his AC joint, and now he's headed to injured reserve for at least four games. Pittman will play for the foreseeable future with Gardner Minshew, who is his seventh starting quarterback in his four seasons with the team.

"It's been a whirlpool here. Ever since I've been here, it's hard to find consistency," Pittman said.

"I think you can always be better. I think I've put a lot of good stuff on tape. Sometimes it doesn't always find you, but that doesn't mean you're not putting good stuff on tape. There's some plays out there to be made."
Old 10-13-2023, 09:52 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I appreciate Jaff posting the articles, but they are such a hard read and Doyel is such a hack. Much more so than Kravitz ever thought of being.

I could read Kravitz. My main beef with him is his insistence that Elway was the GOAT?
He made an average talent team into a super Bowl contender. From his rookie year to 91 when I moved to Indiana I watched every game he played. A smart guy, terrific athlete, Built like a linebacker , fleet of foot, with the best throwing arm in NFL history. He cracked ribs of his own receivers.

Kravitz was a dick. He was right about Elway.
Old 10-13-2023, 10:16 PM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
It was suggested that we have one thread for all the Star articles. You could just add them in one thread instead of making a new one every day for Star articles. What do you think?
We have so little traffic and posts does it really matter out side of piling on Jaff?
Old 10-13-2023, 10:52 PM

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
He made an average talent team into a super Bowl contender. From his rookie year to 91 when I moved to Indiana I watched every game he played. A smart guy, terrific athlete, Built like a linebacker , fleet of foot, with the best throwing arm in NFL history. He cracked ribs of his own receivers.

Kravitz was a dick. He was right about Elway.
Bert Jones had more arm talent than Elway could ever posses.
Old 10-14-2023, 06:54 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Bert Jones had more arm talent than Elway could ever posses.
Jones played 9 years, Elway played 15.

31 comebacks, 40 game-winning drives See link below

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...layer=ElwaJo00

Its not a knock on Jones, great Colt Qb. Elway could beat a team with his legs or his arm. He was drafted the the Yankees to play center field, in the huge outfield in yankee stadium. The played football because he couldnt hit a curve ball.
Old 10-14-2023, 09:14 AM

Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
We have so little traffic and posts does it really matter out side of piling on Jaff?
Not to me. I’m okay with it, either way.
JAFF (10-14-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 09:32 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Fuck Elway. I hold grudges and that asshole wouldn't play for the Colts (Frank Kush anyone?). In no universe is that shithead the GOAT. From Otto Graham, to Unitas and including Brady (who all of you hate almost as much as I hate that overrated POS Elway) no way is he better than any of them. It is about winning and that prick couldn't get his team over the hump until he was a shell of himself. His team won those titles despite him. Fuck that guy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-14-2023), YDFL Commish (10-14-2023)