ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Keep Frank Reich, or Fire him ???
Keep Frank Reich as Head Coach 42 95.45%
Fire Frank Reich as Head Coach 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2021, 04:04 PM

Thanked 1,673 Times in 800 Posts

I get very and repeatedly frustrated with Reich, but I am not close to advocating firing him. I think he brings a lot of positives to this team as well, and I don't even have the remotest idea who else could come in and be expected to be an improvement.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 04:25 PM

Thanked 1,250 Times in 701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I get very and repeatedly frustrated with Reich, but I am not close to advocating firing him. I think he brings a lot of positives to this team as well, and I don't even have the remotest idea who else could come in and be expected to be an improvement.
The devil you know
Old 12-03-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
This is a good post, and your last statement is exactly why I voted FIRE in the poll, and I realize I will be joined by few if any.

Your post is spot on, routinely this defense gives up sustained drive after sustained drive, and it actually seems as though the plan is as simple as "Darius go make a play". This isn't a this year / injuries / thing. This is a consistent pattern that happens essentially every single game. Yet, what do we do, the same damn thing we do - soft zone, huge bubble in the middle of the field with a blitz maybe like 3 times a game. At some point- as the HC, it's your job to say enough, that has to stop. And yes, I am aware Ebersuck wasn't brought here by Frank, doesn't matter, at this point he is held accountable as the HC of this team and if he wasn't satisfied with this he would have made a change or at least told Ballard to stand on his guy and do something different.

For me this is a Ballard issue and not a Reich one. Not because he hired Eberflus, but because of the makeup of the roster. Look at the career production levels of this teams DEs. That is where the majority of the pass rush pressure should come from in this defense. I’m sorry, you can’t coach to correct that. Especially when you are lacking at CB because of talent issues and Safety because of injury. Forcing teams to slowly and methodically move down the field instead of giving up huge plays is likely preferable as it leaves a better chance they will error or the D can create a turnover (the one thing they are good at). But either way, suggesting the D should be able to be good if the coach just schemed better is unrealistic when the talent deficiencies are so obvious and glaring, IMO. I’m not a fan of Eberflus’ scheme, but he has to have players to run it. That’s on Ballard.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:02 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

This was albany ed's idea ...... the same albany ed who has eloquently pointed out on numerous occasions that success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan. ) ) An excellent example of that philosophy is when the Colts went for it on 4th down late in the 2nd quarter, and scored a touchdown. Even though it worked, I did not like that decision ........ and I suspect that whatever criticism that Reich is currently getting would be tenfold if the Buccaneers' defense had stopped the Colts on that 4th down play.

o
I miss ed
Old 12-03-2021, 06:30 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
For me this is a Ballard issue and not a Reich one. Not because he hired Eberflus, but because of the makeup of the roster. Look at the career production levels of this teams DEs. That is where the majority of the pass rush pressure should come from in this defense. I’m sorry, you can’t coach to correct that. Especially when you are lacking at CB because of talent issues and Safety because of injury. Forcing teams to slowly and methodically move down the field instead of giving up huge plays is likely preferable as it leaves a better chance they will error or the D can create a turnover (the one thing they are good at). But either way, suggesting the D should be able to be good if the coach just schemed better is unrealistic when the talent deficiencies are so obvious and glaring, IMO. I’m not a fan of Eberflus’ scheme, but he has to have players to run it. That’s on Ballard.
DE's, yep, Ballard has crapped the bed. However, we do have an all-world DT, and All-universe LB, and an at least All-North America 1st team all star in the slot. So we have talent.

I don't know. Listening to Venturi, there's a lot more here than just not having the right guys at DE to make this work. Listening to him, this scheme is straight out of high school and any decent QB will just devour it- which seems to prove true. Again, year over year, the completion percentages are absolutely absurd. We create "historical" days for QB's all the time. That has to transcend the DE position. Bending but not breaking due to personnel / injuries, yeah I can see some of that. Allowing 75%+ completion percentages... nah there's more to it.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
DE's, yep, Ballard has crapped the bed. However, we do have an all-world DT, and All-universe LB, and an at least All-North America 1st team all star in the slot. So we have talent.

I don't know. Listening to Venturi, there's a lot more here than just not having the right guys at DE to make this work. Listening to him, this scheme is straight out of high school and any decent QB will just devour it- which seems to prove true. Again, year over year, the completion percentages are absolutely absurd. We create "historical" days for QB's all the time. That has to transcend the DE position. Bending but not breaking due to personnel / injuries, yeah I can see some of that. Allowing 75%+ completion percentages... nah there's more to it.
I am not a fan of the scheme. I wasn’t thrilled with the hire when it was made and was critical of some of the vet cuts that were made during the transition. It is a relatively “simple” defense by design though. Something Ballard has commented on as a positive. One that is supposed to then allow defensive players to play fast. Hence the emphasis on athletic measurables. And one that allows young players to pick it up quickly. That fits Ballard’s emphasis on the draft. Agree or disagree on the supposed advantages, but let’s be clear who’s decision all of that was. It was 100% Ballard’s. Not Reich’s. And in the middle of a season with rookie DEs as your main hope, and street free agents in the secondary is not the time to change all of that.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:18 PM

Thanked 1,663 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:

I've wondered if the evolution of the passing game, rule changes, and the Air Raid football that kids are running as early as junior high now makes this style of defense antiquated.

I get the idea of preventing the big play by allowing short stuff and this creates more opportunities for the front four to get home or for the offense to make a mistake and kill a drive.

Well, these kids are growing up with 7-on-7 their whole lives and pitch-and-catch is easier for more QB's than it used to be. And the great QB's don't miss.

So that leaves disruption through pressure, which we just don't do consistently. Paye and Dayo are young, but Lewis, Banogu, and Turay haven't lived up. Plus we miss Autry. Hard for Buckner not to get double and triple teamed.

We know the teams that have succeeded with this broad philosophy. Dungy's Bucs, Lovie's Bears, even the post-season runs of the Giants, etc. They had players all over for sure, but specifically they had some motherfuckers on the D-line.

Do we need that level of personnel in order for the system to work? I don't know. Are there examples out there?
Old 12-04-2021, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

I deleted my message because ONLY one wanted Frank Fired

Give it up Chopped. Aint happing nor should it

You don't agree with him. WE GET IT. but he is the coach. He's not getting fired. He's not resigning, he's not giving up play calling.

BUT!!!!!!!! Get in the playoffs and I give the Colts as much chance as anyone to make it to the SB. There is not one team we can't beat.

I want the Titans in the first round.

Chopped....... Is there any team we can't beat in the AFC playoffs?

Hate to (not really)see you eat your words when they advance.

Just sayin.
Racehorse (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 01:38 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

We have to learn how to win games. So far not so good, at least against the big boys.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:43 AM

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,489 Posts

I was on the fire him bandwagon after the second Titans game, but not as much anymore.

I still hate his over reliance on the pass though.